Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 AM

82 posts, read 72,954 times

Advertisements

No launching of boats, no swimming, no fires, no fishing, no bbq, no drinking- some places the only thing you can do is walk on the sand.

My grandpa told me he used to have bon fires at midnight with his cousins as a kid in the 40's in Jones Beach. Now 75 years later there is no way you could do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,920,313 times
I hate how they got rid of the clothing optional status of Robert Moses Field 5.

Now you see people walking around with those stupid looking 'C-String' things.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM

82 posts, read 72,954 times
So you can not wear any clothes but cant have a bon fire or throw an air tube into the water?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,566,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwach View Post
So you can not wear any clothes but cant have a bon fire or throw an air tube into the water?
No, what the OP said was there used to be a clothing was optional rule (nude beach) Now you must wear clothing or a bathing suit.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:06 PM

4,702 posts, read 8,786,034 times
Quote:
No launching of boats
there's a million places on LI to launch a boat.
Quote:
no swimming
um, no.
Quote:
no fires
people, in general, are morons. I applaud rules that prevent idiots from setting large fires in areas where people are trying to enjoy the beach.
Quote:
no fishing
there's a million places on LI where people can fish.
Quote:
no bbq
seemingly every public beach has a designated area for this.
Quote:
no drinking
this is why they invented solo cups.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,226,269 times
There have to be rules because common sense is gone.

I can picture it, a bonfire on the beach a kid walks too close to the fire and gets burned and**** the state or county or town gets sued because a grownup wasn't watching the kid and the kid got hurt.
If they don't allow swimming it is probably due to one of two reasons, no life guard, or poor water quality. Kid drowns **** rinse and repeat.

I now live in a beach community that doesn't have trash cans on the beach, just up by the restrooms, showers and concessions. There are signs posted along every entrance with the following message. This is a carry in, carry out beach. below which are plastic grocery bags. The beach is immaculate. Why because people follow the rules.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

9,199 posts, read 13,309,361 times
Default Why are there so many beach regulations?

Quote:
No launching of boats, no swimming, no fires, no fishing, no bbq, no drinking- some places the only thing you can do is walk on the sand.

My grandpa told me he used to have bon fires at midnight with his cousins as a kid in the 40's in Jones Beach. Now 75 years later there is no way you could do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There have to be rules because common sense is gone.

I can picture it, a bonfire on the beach a kid walks too close to the fire and gets burned and**** the state or county or town gets sued because a grownup wasn't watching the kid and the kid got hurt.
If they don't allow swimming it is probably due to one of two reasons, no life guard, or poor water quality. Kid drowns **** rinse and repeat.

I now live in a beach community that doesn't have trash cans on the beach, just up by the restrooms, showers and concessions. There are signs posted along every entrance with the following message. This is a carry in, carry out beach. below which are plastic grocery bags. The beach is immaculate. Why because people follow the rules.
Nuts2uiam pretty much nailed. Somebody somewhere did something stupid, they got hurt and there may have been a lawsuit. It may have happened in a different town, a different county or even a different state but local governments find out about and pass laws and regulations to protect the public and themselves.

This happens in private business too. At the bank I was working they came out with a rule that taking out your cell phone in front of your bank computer is grounds for termination! Turns out one person in our huge bank was caught taking pictures of customers account numbers and social security numbers on their cell phone. So now the entire work force could be fired because of the activity of one person. To show how stupid this new rule is, employees could still write down customers private information or even print it out on paper but no the bank was going to fire people for having cell phones.

Bureaucracy at its finest.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,797,250 times
Quote:
If you can't figure out why these rules are in place, it is likely you're part of the reason why they exist.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:58 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,226,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you can't figure out why these rules are in place, it is likely you're part of the reason why they exist.

Annnnnnnnd back to common sense all over again.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:21 PM

10,227 posts, read 19,285,222 times
Basically there are people upset if someone, somewhere, seems to be having a good time. So they come up with rules against it. The liability stuff is just an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island