Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 19,653 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Lexington in a few weeks, and expecting a baby in February. Does anyone have advice about which hospitals I should look into, and/or a good obstetrician they can recommend? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
I really like Dr. Olsen Parrott, who practices at Central Baptist Hospital - the baby capital. Dr. Parrott is very, very humorous and quick-witted - keeps things light and happy, which happens to suit me.

But everybody will have a favorite doctor - and UK Hospital and St. Joseph East are also good places to have babies. At UK, you will encounter residents and interns because of course, it is a teaching hospital. I like the interns and residents, myself, because everything is new to them, and they are interested and interesting. If you like a smaller hospital, St. Joe East is the way to go.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:45 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,366 times
One other thing to consider; Central Baptist is SO busy that I have had many friends that didn't get a room until almost a day after delivery! I delivered at St Joseph East and it was wonderful. I was in an LDR room for about 24 hours before being transferred to my room. Both are good and CBH could have added rooms in the last few years. Just something to ask about.
Tammy James delivered our son and we really liked her but it has been 10 years so others may have more current recommendations.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:48 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,037 times
You'll find opinions are varied. I'm a nurse and would truly only recommend one hospital for a person to deliver and that's Central Baptist. They are known as the "baby hospital" and that's for a reason. As far as OBs, they're are many, including some I would avoid. There is nothing wrong with interviewing your OB - they should be open to it and allow you questions including the c-section (elective and emergency) rates, any legal litigations against them, etc.

While some will argue with me on this, I would not deliver at UK.... unless there were complications such as extreme prematurity, etc. Then that's where you want to be. After that, CB has the level of nursery that can handle most emergencies.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,303 times
Dr. Owens of Lexington Ob-Gyn delivered both of my children at Central Baptist. I would recommend both the doctor (and those that practice with him) and the hospital. I did not have trouble getting a room, the food was good, and the nurses were great. As for Dr. Owens, I was high risk with both of my children due to my age and both were C-sections. My first was an emergency C-section that was handled very well. His decision to not wait when my baby appeared to be in distress is why I now have a healthy six year old.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,207 times
We had our daughter at St. Joes East last november and loved it. They made sure we were comfortable and got anything we needed. She had Dr. Butler, from Associates for Women's Care and he was awesome. He is very personable and a great doc. Good luck

Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,093 times
Central Baptist has had the reputation as the "baby hospital" for a long time, but they started getting a reputation for themselves as more of a "baby factory" - less personal care, less attention to detail, less flexibility and ability of the patient to make choices, etc. Supposedly they've realized that this reputation has circulated and made recent attempts to overcome this and offer more patient-directed care, but YMMV.

Many people I know recommend St Joe East, where we are planning to deliver our child. It is smaller and gets good recs from several L&D nurses and midwives that I know. They are currently building a large new maternity center but I don't think it will be finished by Feb.

One difference that I know, for example, is that Central Baptist makes everyone leave the room during the adminstration of epidurals, whereas St Joe East allows the patient to decide if they want their spouse/partner to remain. It seems like little procedures and policies like this happen more often at Central Baptist, increasing efficiency but inhibiting flexibility. I do know people that have happily delivered at both hospitals.

I agree with PP - I would avoid UK hospital as long as you have private insurance and don't need high-level NICU services.

For OB's, I highly recommend Dr Jeanne O'Nan at Lexington Women's Health (has privileges at both Central Baptist and St Joe East) and Dr. John Greene at Associates for Women's Care (who I think uses St Joe East exclusively). Both are down-to-earth, personable, and make you feel comfortable in their care with great bedside manners, yet are reliable and knowledgable if problems come up.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:35 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,366 times
nischr0
you said it so much more eloquently than me! Very accurate!!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,862 times
just wondering what female obgyns would you recommend? and would you deliver at sje or cb now that sje has the new womens center?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,912 times
Please, please, please don't let a new "Women's Center" play in your decision at all. "New" and "high quality" are not synonymous terms.

When it comes to the quality of the staff and resources available UK and CB are the places to be. They don't give you that spa-like experience (although they are still very nice), but if something goes wrong with you or the baby you will be taken care of.

The highest risk and sickest moms and babies go to UK, the next highest risk goes to CB. St Joe East has no truly high risk services. Personally, I would rather go somewhere that they can provide comprehensive and quality care in case my wife needed it without having to be emergently transferred. No one can predict if their pregnancy will be the one that goes into early labor, if they will develop severe pre-eclampsia, or if their child will have to receive emergent surgery the day of delivery. If any of those happen you're going to be transferred from East and a new Ob who doesn't know you or anything about you will take over at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area