Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,075 times

Advertisements

Hey yall! I'm new to the area! Been in Knoxville less than a year! So far I have been loving life here in East Tennessee! Moved here not knowing a single person! Since moving down here I've made a couple friends. One of them I even consider my best friend. However, other than him I really do not have any other friends. It's been kinda hard to make friends since moving down here.

My question for those of you who have lived here for awhile is, where would you recommend going to meet people and make new friends? I'm kinda a shy person as it is at first and kinda feel awkward going to places alone. ...It's just starting to kinda lonely always being by myself.

Again, if anyone could give me a few suggestions on where to go to meet people that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:46 PM

394 posts, read 794,189 times
meetup.com (not a dating site if you're not familiar) or church (if you;re so inclined). Maybe get involved in some sort of volunteer work. Just keep working at it, I know I have to.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 AM

257 posts, read 489,298 times
We haven't moved to the area yet and we are already meeting people through a meetup group we joined. We have attended several events when we were in the area. There is a wide variety of groups including some newcomer groups.

When we had children we met many people through their activities. Now that the kids are grown, it is more difficult to make friends when we moved.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times
meetup.com is a lifesaver!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 PM

377 posts, read 469,831 times
I'm laughing because two of my good friends from here I met online ... one friend I met on Craigslist modcut. Anyway, yes meetup.com is a good place start. I also suggest joining a couple of Knoxville Linkedin Groups and introduce yourself. I've had coffee with many newcomers that way.

I like to meet new friends at fundraisers. They're dressed nice, on their best behavior, and likely have a good heart. Better yet, volunteer to help a nonprofit and meet the people who volunteer. IF you want to get plugged in somewhere, ThermalYew1, contact me privately.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-21-2015 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: no mention of real estate please

Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 PM

79 posts, read 121,103 times
My friends were developed around the hobbies and activities that i like. I met one fellow at an archery club when I was into the bow and arrow. Several new friends are into Harley Davidson motorcycles and a few from cigar smoking. The people you meet at some places automatically have some of the same interests.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 16,603 times
hello!! Id like to make new friends in here too.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM

377 posts, read 469,831 times
Trying filling out your profile a bit and joining a few groups, m29m. That will help.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I've made some friends on CD, but this takes a lot of time. I've been on here for years. It's not really set up like meetup.com.

Also, you don't always know what you are dealing with, on here. Over time, I've found that some people on here are not really who they say they are. And some of the people are absolutely insane. I've had someone e-mail my boss and call child services on me. I finally figured out who she is and we'll be able to stop her, but who wants to rub shoulders with lunatics? (By the way, I never met her in real life.)

I made friends in Knoxville through work and church. If you are an atheist, a Buddhist (ahem, SST stalker), there are groups here for you, too. I agree that meetup and hobbies are other great ways to find friends, although I haven't done either, though I know people that have. Also, if you want to further your education or take courses for fun, this would be another great way to find folks. If you're into sports, cars, the arts, etc., this will work. So won't volunteering.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 16,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
Trying filling out your profile a bit and joining a few groups, m29m. That will help.
oppsss I totally forgot about it haha ...Thanks and nice meeting you ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: