Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,304 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are relocating from Colorado Springs to Maryville in the next few months. My job offer was 100k a year. What kind of life does that get you with a family of 4 in Maryville? I just want to make sure this move is worth it, as Ive heard you get more bang for your buck there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,527,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msformaldehyde View Post
Hi!
We are relocating from Colorado Springs to Maryville in the next few months. My job offer was 100k a year. What kind of life does that get you with a family of 4 in Maryville? I just want to make sure this move is worth it, as Ive heard you get more bang for your buck there!
You will do nicely. Money won't be the issue; just make sure that the quality of life will suit your family. Maryville is very different than Colorado.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 PM

We just had a visit there last weekend and loved it. It is VERY different in a good way IMO. We love how spread out everything is as well how friendly people are. Colorado is super expensive so thats why we ask about the salary.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,424,223 times
Quote:
Hi!
Much, much further.

While the sales tax is a bit higher than you are used to, the lack of an income tax and lower property taxes help a LOT. Then low car registration and similar costs take you even further.I moved from So Cal and the tax difference saved me about $20,000.00 a year with a similar income.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
We just had a visit there last weekend and loved it. It is VERY different in a good way IMO. We love how spread out everything is as well how friendly people are. Colorado is super expensive so thats why we ask about the salary.
Fantastic! I am bias about it so I try to be very careful with my enthusiasm! The money will go far and enable a wonderful life. Maryville isn't perfect, or for everyone, but it certainly can be a type of Mayberry.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM

Im so excited to move there! I really want to raise my children in a smaller town with a slower pace of life.

The one question I had was is there options for fresh foods like farmers markets , Whole foods ect? I have a gluten allergy, so food can be a pain in the butt for me lol!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 AM

9,473 posts, read 10,823,063 times
100k a year in Tennessee will get you almost anything you want, that is a very good wage here. You could live in Farragut if you wanted to.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
Quote:
Im so excited to move there! I really want to raise my children in a smaller town with a slower pace of life.

The one question I had was is there options for fresh foods like farmers markets , Whole foods ect? I have a gluten allergy, so food can be a pain in the butt for me lol!
Yes, in Knoxville.

There is a couple of farmer's markets in Maryville, but they aren't open as many months as the ones in Knoxville. The Knoxville ones run many days a week and we even have a winter market.

Whole Foods is opening in Knoxville on March 24. Also, bear in mind that we have two Fresh Markets, two Earth Fares, and a co-op.

The Fresh Market

https://www.earthfare.com/

Three Rivers Market | Knoxville's Community Food Co-op

Also, there are excellent organic and gluten free choices at many area grocery stores, including all of our Kroger and Publix locations.

There are a lot of farms and specialty food purveyors in our area such as Cruze Farm milk, Flour Head Bakery breads, Sweetwater Valley Farm cheeses, meat and other items from Laurel Creek Farm, etc. You can find these items all around Knoxville and Maryville. Benton's Bacon is nationally recognized and served in the best restaurants from Manhattan, etc. The Market in Maryville is small and no longer sells Laurel Creek meat. That's moved to Mother Earth Meats in Farragut. However, it is a nice market.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Here you are: Home / Contact

and

HOME

and this is for the state:

Pick Tennessee Products

My kids graduated from Maryville schools and we were extremely pleased with their experiences.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Here you are: Home / Contact

and

HOME

and this is for the state:

Pick Tennessee Products

My kids graduated from Maryville schools and we were extremely pleased with their experiences.
Make sure she knows that your kids graduated from Maryville City Schools, which are very good. Blount County schools are not as good.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...icts/maryville

http://www.usnews.com/education/best.../blount-county

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...ts/knox-county

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...ngs?int=9bcb08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville