Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM

47 posts, read 255,619 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from the DC area to southern Elizabethtown at the end of June, and I was wondering if anyone knows if we'll still be able to see the awesome fireflies/lightning bugs we've loved so much here in Northern Virginia.

Anyone know? How about cicada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM

63 posts, read 313,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmylie View Post
We will be moving from the DC area to southern Elizabethtown at the end of June, and I was wondering if anyone knows if we'll still be able to see the awesome fireflies/lightning bugs we've loved so much here in Northern Virginia.

Lightning bugs are common here. Cicadas also, both the yearly species plus the occasional longer term versions.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Quote:

Yup they are in Elizabethtown..they are all over Kentucky..Yup Cicadas to and the frogs, snakes, and mosquito's..lol We have it all.
I take it your doing the move like we did.. fun fun..My husband works for IBM but is contracted to the DOD..so they relocated here this past December from North Carolina..and were still unpacking..lol but we love it here! You wont be far from us.. were about 5 miles outside of Elizabethtown..small town called Cecilia. The Elizabethtown area is great..people in this area are very friendly.
Good Luck with your move.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
Lightning bugs are common here. Cicadas also, both the yearly species plus the occasional longer term versions.
This is not great news for me as an avid bug hater.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 AM

47 posts, read 255,619 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

wolfeyes: We've found a great rental on 3 acres in Glendale, and we're very excited about arriving on July 2. I'm a consultant for Booz Allen Hamilton, assigned to a DOD program, and am looking forward to the new HRC office complex and surroundings at Knox.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

wolfeyes: We've found a great rental on 3 acres in Glendale, and we're very excited about arriving on July 2. I'm a consultant for Booz Allen Hamilton, assigned to a DOD program, and am looking forward to the new HRC office complex and surroundings at Knox.
Glendale is only 8 miles from us..so yup you'll be close. That's great to hear your excited about moving here..hope it works out for ya. hmmm wonder if ya know my hubby.. he has been working in DC/Alexandria, VA for the past 6 yrs .. although the past yr he has been working from home. He is at the base today. I do believe, They start there officially sometime around July 19th.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I had one bad encounter with a lightning bug so far this year. I'm not near E'town but lightning bugs are everywhere. Anyway, I was driving home from my stepdaughter's the other night when a lightning hit my windshield at 60 MPH. You know how long it takes that stuff to stop glowing on your windshield, when it hits right in front of you? lol Then, when you used the windshield washer and wipers all you do is spread it all over the windshield.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM

lol@kygman.. that is way to funny.. That is one thing I have noticed out here when your riding down the road day or night millions of bugs (not little bugs either these things are huge!) hits your windshield..and it is even worse when your riding a motorcycle!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
lol@kygman.. that is way to funny.. That is one thing I have noticed out here when your riding down the road day or night millions of bugs (not little bugs either these things are huge!) hits your windshield..and it is even worse when your riding a motorcycle!
Actually I had my car shipped on an open carrier from Virginia to E-town and when I saw it after getting there, a whole mess of dead bugs were on the back and the mirrors. I still haven't gotten them all off!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Actually I had my car shipped on an open carrier from Virginia to E-town and when I saw it after getting there, a whole mess of dead bugs were on the back and the mirrors. I still haven't gotten them all off!
lol sorry to hear ya can't get them off.. here is what you can try.. it might help. Go to walmart pick up some stuff called bug and tar remover (im sure ya know it would be in the automotive department)..spray it on let it sit for a few minutes then scrub it off with one of those scotch-brite pads they are the green/yellow pads.. don't scrub hard cause it will scratch the paint but the bugs will come off. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky