Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,217 times

Advertisements

Hi and thanks for your time. I have been doing a lot of research about Elizabethtown and my husband and I would like to move there. We currently live in Mississippi, have no children, 2 dogs and 3 cats and I am handicapped. My husband is from NY and I was born and raised here. My mother has recently remarried and is moving to Dallas from MS. My dad died 7 years ago and we are just ready for a change. We wanted to move somewhere "halfway" to NY (since he still has family there) and MS (since I still have family here). My husband was in the Air Force and has moved several times and has no reservations about packing up and leaving. I, on the other hand, have never lived out of the state of MS and have only lived in 2 cities. One being a very, very small town and one being the capitol of MS. He is from a very small town. We both have agreed that we would like to move somewhere with that smalltown feel. I really, really like what people say about Elizabethtown and I truly think that we would really enjoy living there.
Of course, being handicapped, one of my reservations is snow. lol Can anyone tell me, please. How often does it snow there?
Another one of my concerns is that I have been looking for houses to rent and I am finding that a lot of places are two story. Is this the norm for housing in Elizabethtown?
I currently work full time in an accounting office and my husband works as a field manager in a janatorial company. We will be looking for work and I was wondering if there are a lot of job opportunities in Elizabethtown and not outside of Elizabethtown? We can commute, but would rather not.
Also being handicapped, safety is one of my main concerns. Everything that I have read has stated that the crime is very low there, but not knowing about the town, I was wondering, when looking for a home, which area is the best?
I know some of my questions may be silly, but I have never moved out of state before and I just need to know what to look for and how to get started.
Thank you, again,for your time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 19,187 times
Elizabethtown is benefiting from the expansion of Fort Knox. This will create new jobs in the surrounding communities, and it is estimated that 1400 or more job openings will be advertised in the next four or five months. My family and I moved here from the DC area 16 years ago and never looked back. Our home in E-town is way nicer than the one we had in MD, and didn't cost much more. Visit the Welcome To One Knox web site to find out more.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
I lived in E-town for a couple of years while at Ft Knox.

Not a bad place. I think coming from MS you should like it OK. Not by my standards even a "city," I guess I would call it a "medium sized town." Easy enough to drive up to Louisville if you want some "city" time. Overall, people were pretty friendly. Safe, not much in the way of crime.

If it snows (which is rare, maybe once a year) the snow is usually gone by the next day. Bigger concern would be tornados (had a few while we were there, no big damage, but still a definite risk).

For housing, you should be able to find a one-story house without too much trouble, although I guess 2-stories are more common. I know there were a couple one-story houses right on my street. I don't think there's really any "bad" part of E-town, but some areas are more expensive than others. Depends on your budget. There was a lot of new construction going on at the time I left a couple years ago.

Handicap access to stuff shouldn't be too bad. Can you drive? There isn't much public transportation there, handicapped-accessible or otherwise.

Not sure about the job market. Ft Knox is the big employer there. Number of other smaller industrial and small business things in E-town and surrounding towns. Can always consider commuting to Louisville although that might get to be a drag every day (probably at least 45 minutes one way).

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad3 View Post
Elizabethtown is benefiting from the expansion of Fort Knox. This will create new jobs in the surrounding communities, and it is estimated that 1400 or more job openings will be advertised in the next four or five months. My family and I moved here from the DC area 16 years ago and never looked back. Our home in E-town is way nicer than the one we had in MD, and didn't cost much more. Visit the Welcome To One Knox web site to find out more.
As someone moving to Hardin County in a few weeks from Northern Virginia, this makes me happy to hear a DC to Hardin success story.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Elizabethtown is more like a small city, at best. Population: 22,000 approximately and growing rather slowly. It is the seat of Hardin County which, including Radcliff, Fort Knox Military Reservation, West Point, Vine Grove, and Glendale, has roughly 98,000 people; the newly-formed Elizabethtown Metropolitan Statistical Area, which also includes Larue County, has about 112,000 people.

E'town has a mediocre park system and a pathetic downtown. Freeman Lake on E'town's northeast side (near the intersection of Ring Road and Dixie Highway) looks like a decent recreational area--at least a place to take the kids fishing on a weekend afternoon. It does also have, however, a small convention center, a Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, two Kroger stores, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, a small indoor mall, Best Buy, and Barnes & Noble. Your typical suburban fare; you don't have to drive to Louisville for "higher-end" shopping unless you just wanted to go to Von Maur at Oxmoor Center.

Elizabethtown Community and Technical College has its primary campus in E'town, with a smaller satellite campus on Ft. Knox. Western Kentucky University has two small facilities in Hardin County where some basic ed. classes are taught on site or via satellite telecommunications. When I was a student at the University of Louisville, a lot of Hardin Countians commuted daily to UofL, considering that it is the closest main campus of a regional university.

"Pre-post-secondary" (if that makes sense) education in Kentucky is abyssmal. However, Elizabethtown Independent is, by Kentucky standards, a good school system. They kind of fancy themselves as being a "top notch" system, so I would suggest scheduling appointments with school administrators and teachers before enrolling your kids in almost ANY Kentucky school system. (This comment always pisses people off for some reason b/c, apparently, we have "good schools.")

From Elizabethtown, it is 40 miles north to Louisville, 80 miles east to Lexington and 120 miles south to Nashville. Louisville and Lexington are SCINOs (Southern cities in name only), but Nashville is a taste of the true South should you ever get homesick for it. In the case of Lou. and Lex., just b/c the people say "ya'll" and the thoroughbred horse tracks serve mint juleps on special occasions do not necessarily a Southern city make. You feel me?

I hope you like Elizabethtown. It really is one of the few truly nice towns in all of Kentucky!

P.S.: AlanBoy395, you're seven weeks away, eh? You looking forward to it?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Elizabethtown is more like a small city, at best. Population: 22,000 approximately and growing rather slowly. It is the seat of Hardin County which, including Radcliff, Fort Knox Military Reservation, West Point, Vine Grove, and Glendale, has roughly 98,000 people; the newly-formed Elizabethtown Metropolitan Statistical Area, which also includes Larue County, has about 112,000 people.

E'town has a mediocre park system and a pathetic downtown. Freeman Lake on E'town's northeast side (near the intersection of Ring Road and Dixie Highway) looks like a decent recreational area--at least a place to take the kids fishing on a weekend afternoon. It does also have, however, a small convention center, a Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, two Kroger stores, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, a small indoor mall, Best Buy, and Barnes & Noble. Your typical suburban fare; you don't have to drive to Louisville for "higher-end" shopping unless you just wanted to go to Von Maur at Oxmoor Center.

Elizabethtown Community and Technical College has its primary campus in E'town, with a smaller satellite campus on Ft. Knox. Western Kentucky University has two small facilities in Hardin County where some basic ed. classes are taught on site or via satellite telecommunications. When I was a student at the University of Louisville, a lot of Hardin Countians commuted daily to UofL, considering that it is the closest main campus of a regional university.

"Pre-post-secondary" (if that makes sense) education in Kentucky is abyssmal. However, Elizabethtown Independent is, by Kentucky standards, a good school system. They kind of fancy themselves as being a "top notch" system, so I would suggest scheduling appointments with school administrators and teachers before enrolling your kids in almost ANY Kentucky school system. (This comment always pisses people off for some reason b/c, apparently, we have "good schools.")

From Elizabethtown, it is 40 miles north to Louisville, 80 miles east to Lexington and 120 miles south to Nashville. Louisville and Lexington are SCINOs (Southern cities in name only), but Nashville is a taste of the true South should you ever get homesick for it. In the case of Lou. and Lex., just b/c the people say "ya'll" and the thoroughbred horse tracks serve mint juleps on special occasions do not necessarily a Southern city make. You feel me?

I hope you like Elizabethtown. It really is one of the few truly nice towns in all of Kentucky!

P.S.: AlanBoy395, you're seven weeks away, eh? You looking forward to it?
Yep, very close. I'm looking forward to it. If for no other reason than i'm itching to get up out my current job (spent two and a half hours in overtime yesterday over something crazy plus it's customer service so you already know) and I've had all I can take with this DC traffic (suicide drivers plus terrible outdated roads equals several near-misses a day.)

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
We moved to Ky a little more than 18 months ago and have tried to visit lots of towns and cities throughout KY, Indiana and Ohio. Personally, I find Elizabethtown a rather depressing place (I have been there 3 times) and I would never live there unless I absolutely had to. I do like Bardstown and Danville - both charming towns with good services with lots of kept-up homes and filled businesses - not true of Elizabethtown.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 19,960 times
We moved here 18 months ago from Columbus/ Ft. Benning Ga and We don't really like it here. Elizabethtown is a very small city. Night life does not exist in the area, there is shopping, a really old movie theater in what appears to be a very large shed and chain restaurants. For variety we try to drive to Louisville but that is impossible during the week and most weekends. We bought a home in Vine Grove, close to work for both of us (less than 10 min and Im usually through the gate), safe and quiet. We figured since Etown didn't really offer us any of the "ideal city" activities we would live closer to post. I have met some really great people, post is very diverse and I enjoy my job.

Alan I hope you have a quick and easy move! Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 41,940 times
I just came back from a 4 day power trip and after checking every available option out there N-S-E-W I found out that Doe lake area is slow to sell so if you buy plan on staying, Shepherdsville does not have Burning Crosses everywhere, and E-Town truly feels safe and like home where people can fall asleep with their windows open.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM

163 posts, read 428,402 times
It really depends on what kind of experience you want... Etown is great if you are looking for a quiet, suburb style. The only area I would stay away from is the southeast side; anything else is fine. Also, be aware that Hardin Co. is dry... well, "moist." Alcohol is only served in restaurants; to buy alcoholic beverages you have to drive to other counties. Again, as long as you are looking for a quiet, no excitement lifestyle, Etown is great! lol I actually live in a great community in Etown where several (1 story) duplexes are available for rent. I love the duplex we live in, but I would personally prefer a more city-like atmosphere. To each his own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky