Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,080,575 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I've driven through E. KY many times along I-75. We had plans to go out west for a national park focused vacation, but the shutdown is pretty much changing all that right now. Since it is unlikely they will reopen anything until mid or late next week, we've decided to travel down and tour E. KY. I've always wanted to check the area out and I figure this would be a perfect time, even though I'm sure some of the national forest stuff is closed. I'm just looking at some suggestions on things to see/do, places to visit, and places to eat. Right now the plan is to get a basic hotel room in Berea and use that as a central place to drive from.

Places of possible interest for us are:
Red River Gorge area
Cumberland Falls and Natural Bridge state parks
Scenic drives such as the Zilpo Scenic Byway and Red River Gorge Scenic Byway and Nada Tunnel
Fitchburg and Clear Creak Furnaces
Natural Arch trails (area west of Cumberland Falls SP)

Additionally we would like to check out cool arts and crafts in Berea, and take a day trip to Lexington, a place we have driven through many times, and only stopped off to fill the gas tank.

We are a fit couple, no kids, in our 30s, and I have no problem driving. I would like to do small hikes to scenic viewpoints with a round trip distance of less than ~one mile.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:48 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Here's a list of parks in eastern Kentucky. Resort Parks - Kentucky State Parks I'm sorry to say I haven't been to that part of the state since I was a little boy, camping with my family. Just check the map and, on hte left side of the page, check out Resort Parks, Recreational Parks, and Historic Sites. Too bad you won't be just a little further west, say Bardstown (My Old Ky. Home, off I-65) You could stop by the Jim Beam distillery and get a sample! Not sure about the other distilleries in the Bardstown area but my wife enjoyed her sample at Jim Beam. lol
Also, it looks like besides the eastern part of the state, there are quite a few parks in the central part that you may come close to on your way to Berea.
Have a nice trip to Kentucky!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,655 times
Do NOT forget to walk through the KY Horse Park when you get to Lex!!!

And, keep in mind, that area that you described is more Central KY, or the Bluegrass area, I believe. Eastern KY would also be a great place for you to explore, with it's mountains and such, but is more accessible via I64.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Natural Bridge, the Red River Gorge area and Fitchburg furnace are all considered to be in the knobs area of the state, not the bluegrass area. The topography there is nothing like the bluegrass area.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
Do NOT forget to walk through the KY Horse Park when you get to Lex!!!

And, keep in mind, that area that you described is more Central KY, or the Bluegrass area, I believe. Eastern KY would also be a great place for you to explore, with it's mountains and such, but is more accessible via I64.
Yeah, I just googled Berea. Never been there but thought I knew about where it was. Closer to Lexington than eastern Ky. Still plenty to see.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Berea is where the mountains meet the Bluegrass - literally. You'd probably greatly enjoy a hike at Anglin Falls, a short distance south of Berea (and owned by Berea College but open free of charge to the public). The falls are found at the end of a box canyon hollow, which is richly wooded and should have wonderful fall color, if you hit it just right. There are huge moss-covered boulders and the place has a very timeless feel to it. There are also many good trails at Indian Fort Mountain, but this weekend, you'll have to go through the craft fair (and pay) to access them.

The Kentucky Guild of Artists and Craftsmen's annual fall fair is on at Berea's Indian Fort Mountain this weekend, and Berea College's Celebration of Traditional Music will be held about two weeks from now. Both are well-worth checking out.

If you want a more memorable place to stay than a standard motel can provide, try Boone Tavern, in the heart of Berea and owned and operated by the college. If you can't stay there, at least try to eat in the dining room for lunch or dinner. Justifiably famous place. Otherwise, there are a number of B and Bs - see the Morning Glory, above Weaver's Bottom (craft shop with great woven goods plus cornshuck crafts - owners operate the B and B as well) in Old Town Berea across from the old train station (now the visitors' center), or if you just want a nice modern motel, consider the Fairfield Inn out by the southernmost I-75 exit.

Sadly, many of the visitor amenities are closed at present in the Red River Gorge, which is located in the Daniel Boone National Forest - you can still complete the loop drive, but the Gladie Visitor Center and museum are closed, as are picnic grounds, restrooms, campgrounds, and some trails. Thankfully, adjacent Natural Bridge State Park is open, although this is their busy season and overnight accommodations may not be available there. However, their trails and Hemlock Lodge's dining room and gift shop are open, along with picnic areas, etc.

Stay tuned: we all hope the closures end soon. When do you plan to visit?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge - they're only 5 miles apart - is a place that I think could be considered for a future National Park. Great, unique scenery that is enjoyed by over 2 million visitors each year from all over the region. There are too many cool rock formations to bother listing, both arches and just general odd shapes.

I guess the Big South Fork National Recreation Area on the KY / TN border is federally managed and thus closed, but Cumberland Falls is open. The Sheltowee Trail runs along the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest and would still be open. An easy access point would be along KY 80 btw Somerset and London

Mapping the Sheltowee :: View topic - KY 80 to I-75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky