Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM

74 posts, read 189,446 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Hi, As a NY'er looking to relocate outside of Cincinnati it is very helpful to read all the forum comments.

Hi, My family (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter) want to move out into the country. We are looking at areas within an hour or so from downtown Cincinnati. We really loved a five acre mini farm out in Winchester Ohio. It's an hour and a half from Cincinnati.

Having visited southern Ohio and my subsequent research on the area, our concern now is the culture and it's impact on our daughter. We are very liberal and we really may not be a great fit in an ultra conservative area. We don't really mind not fitting in or even being shunned. But we are concerned for our daughter that she would be teased or worse by kids and even adults because her views are not the norm there. I could easily see her and us being bothered because we are not at church.

It's a shame if we can't have country life without the prejudice (masquerading as tolerance no less). We met some nice folks at the Oktoberfest in Covington, KY and they were from closer to the city area and it seems pretty clear tho that most are very conservative.

We don't want to give up on living on the country but perhaps you know of an area there where it is not so conservative or religious, or just more tolerant. Perhaps we should expand the search to slightly more north, but still within the hour or so of downtown Cincinnati. Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid, but it is a big concern. I guess liberalism is something a liberal takes for granted living in a liberal area!

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,814,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
[LEFT]Hi, As a NY'er looking to relocate outside of Cincinnati it is very helpful to read all the forum comments.

Hi, My family (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter) want to move out into the country. We are looking at areas within an hour or so from downtown Cincinnati. We really loved a five acre mini farm out in Winchester Ohio. It's an hour and a half from Cincinnati.

Having visited southern Ohio and my subsequent research on the area, our concern now is the culture and it's impact on our daughter. We are very liberal and we really may not be a great fit in an ultra conservative area. We don't really mind not fitting in or even being shunned. But we are concerned for our daughter that she would be teased or worse by kids and even adults because her views are not the norm there. I could easily see her and us being bothered because we are not at church.

It's a shame if we can't have country life without the prejudice (masquerading as tolerance no less). We met some nice folks at the Oktoberfest in Covington, KY and they were from closer to the city area and it seems pretty clear tho that most are very conservative.

We don't want to give up on living on the country but perhaps you know of an area there where it is not so conservative or religious, or just more tolerant. Perhaps we should expand the search to slightly more north, but still within the hour or so of downtown Cincinnati. Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid, but it is a big concern. I guess liberalism is something a liberal takes for granted living in a liberal area!

[/LEFT]
Cincinnati/Hamilton County is perhaps notoriously the most conservative large city in America. I would recommend looking at Louisville. It is still conservative compared with New York, but very liberal in general compared to Cincinnati.

Cincinnati, for example, was the only seat of a large urban county (Hamilton) which voted Republican in the last election.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,802,544 times
Rural KY is known for its tolerance and diversity, so I advise you to move here without delay!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM

74 posts, read 189,446 times
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?? Guess this is the WRONG place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Rural KY is known for its tolerance and diversity, so I advise you to move here without delay!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
God bless rural Kintucky! I knowed many people who done went to live in the country. They done real good fer themselves.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,154,974 times
Lightbulb good links!

Vermont? Maine?

This summer I spent a week in both of these cities where living near these cities might be more up your alley. When almost every one of your sentences was centered on liberalism, why not move where the majority of an area is like-minded?

Burlington, VT: Burlington, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and Portland, ME: Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is another good suggestion. This link has a map and city listing based on different sized cities:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,125,566 times
In my area of Eastern Kentucky we could care less if you and your family do or do not go to church as long as you don't try to shove your religion,or lack of it, down our throats. We consider your views YOUR'S as long as you respect our views. I cannot see a child being teased or shunned because of religious views. If the child tries to tell other people how to live their lives or gives the impression that he or she feels superior to the other children, then it's a whole new ballgame.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM

844 posts, read 2,108,152 times
LOL @ at the close mindedness of liberals. Too good to live with people who are different from you, eh? What a joke...

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,226,564 times
To posts #7 and #8...
I think the OP has wisely reconsidered a move to Kentucky. The thinly veiled animosity comes through. So, y'all kin just stay as conservative and religious as you want.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,596,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
To posts #7 and #8...
I think the OP has wisely reconsidered a move to Kentucky. The thinly veiled animosity comes through. So, y'all kin just stay as conservative and religious as you want.
Typical rude response from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky