Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM

55 posts, read 235,345 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any first hand information about the Crittenden County School system and / or the schools near Marion Kentucky?? Any information, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering if anyone had kids that went to school there or are currently enrolled there now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Hm, how to put this nicely, without ruffling the inevitable feathers.....

Please understand that I do not mean to offend.

It is not a place for excellence. A student who excels there (and it is possible), does so AGAINST the tide. That might not be very different from any other rural school system - I only have experience with this particular one.

Crittenden County does have some good teachers. I will say again that it is possible to succeed, coming from this school system. However, I would not pick it on purpose as a place with great schools. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community gives them 5's and 6's out of 10, which I think is quite fair.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM

9 posts, read 24,467 times
Cool Hmmmmm

This should tell some exactly how old I really am.
I was in the second grade in Shady Grove school - first, second and third grades were in the same room.
I loved my teacher - we called her "Miss Agnes" - she was Agnes Easly and her husband was Raymond Easly - he drove a cab in Marion.
I can see that the "education" was rudimentary, but so was the whole system and Miss Agnes was a really good teacher.
I do have a Master's Degree at this point - easily past retirement age.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Marion = absolute middle of nowhere

Crittenden County Schools = typical rural Kentucky public school system = horrid educational quality overall

Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 AM

55 posts, read 235,345 times
Thanks for the replies. I was surprised to see that the great school ratings were actually 5 and 6 for the school system. Compared to Lee County Florida where we would be moving from, that is twice as good as the 2 and 3 ratings the schools around here get.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,315 times
The school system is much improved since Dr. Rachel Yarbrough has been Superintendent. The winds of change are blowing. I do not live in this county but want my children to come to school here. Education is something that is always changing and with the new leadership and community support this school system is gaining ground daily. Before any decision is made the question is asked, "Is this what is best for students?" I would recommend this school district to anyone.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
My family is looking to move to Northern Ky in the near future. I have a 6 year old who I hate to pull out of her school. Can someone PLEASE help me find a GREAT school to send her? She just turned 6 and is in first grade, but is reading with the second graders, so she is a little advanced for her age. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
The problem with all the small school districts in this multi-state region, is there's little school choice and even less difference is quality. All are mediocre to poor. And unlike more densely populated areas, you just can't move to the next suburb over, to find a better school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: