Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 01:15 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times

Advertisements

I figured he would eventually move around Texas until he could/was ready to run for a political position.

Thoughts?

Miami is definitely a publicity spot like what's he's gotten but a much more national/global/celebrity level vs. Houston.

I do wonder what the people will think with his last summer comments. Politically/racially Miami tends to toe both sides depending on what's convenient for them at the moment (but would much prefer to be red hot red vs. blue...until red starts talking immigration then they're all for the blue)

But as a Cuban he probably already does so I imagine less vigor for brown people "justice" like last year in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Not a moment too soon. Acevedo is useless, and a political opportunist. Plus, he hates the Constitution, which really annoyed me.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:39 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Not a moment too soon. Acevedo is useless, and a political opportunist. Plus, he hates the Constitution, which really annoyed me.
He doesn't agree on something that was written hundreds of years ago? Who cares

I agree with the political opportunist point though.

Miami seems like the perfect place for Art.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
Miami will welcome him with open arms, given the heavily Cuban/Latino population down there. I feel like his time was up in Houston anyway.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I figured he would eventually move around Texas until he could/was ready to run for a political position.
Same here. I thought he was going to follow Adrian Garcia into politics.

The guy grew up in L.A., treated Texas as a pit stop with stints in Austin and Houston, and then goes to Miami. Perhaps he is trying to get ready in case Cuba opens up?

Old 03-15-2021, 06:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Glad to see him go! He has left enough baggage in Houston with police killings, raids without warrants, etc. I think he knew he needed to get out.

Miami is a step down, but I'm sure Art will find his way in front of a camera.

When is his last day?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
He doesn't agree on something that was written hundreds of years ago? Who cares
The Constitution of the United States is fundamental to the rule of law in this country. Art Acevedo took an oath to defend it. It's not a small thing.

https://abc13.com/art-acevedo-housto...chief/1631874/

Here is a version of the oath taken by all public servants:

5 U.S. Code § 3331.Oath of office
An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” This section does not affect other oaths required by law.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Which part of it did he fail to uphold, or as you put it I think , which part does he "hate"?

Old 03-15-2021, 08:03 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Which part of it did he fail to uphold, or as you put it I think , which part does he "hate"?
In particular, the Second Amendment. He doesn't think "civilians" should have guns. Of course, police ARE civilians, unless they are military police.

He has also been less than happy about people being granted bail, although that's a right.

He threatened to prosecute people who spread "misinformation" about Covid response, which is protected speech, which he should know.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:21 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
In particular, the Second Amendment. He doesn't think "civilians" should have guns. Of course, police ARE civilians, unless they are military police.

He has also been less than happy about people being granted bail, although that's a right.

He threatened to prosecute people who spread "misinformation" about Covid response, which is protected speech, which he should know.
I've heard him say that the number of civilians with guns is dangerous, and makes police work more dangerous. The question of how gun ownership should be regulated is not as simple as you make it sound-- that you are either for or against the Constitution. The Constitution doesn't say what kinds of guns or whether licensing or background checks should or should not be allowed. So spare me your Constitutional outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: