Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2024, 06:41 PM

578 posts, read 569,843 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a wireless thermostat where the temperature sensor is remote? My thermostat is in a room that often gets closed off. Because of many insulation and design issues, that room stays warm while the other rooms get cold, because the thermostat never goes on. Since redoing the insulation is not feasible (Vermiculite), ideally I want to relocate the thermostat. But again because of brick walls and other design issues, doing so would cost me well over a $1000 (from a couple of quotes, so I am taking that at face value).

The simple and cheap option, if I can find one, is to find a remote temperature sensor and tie that in with a wireless thermostat. But I have not been able to locate one. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 06:55 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Is there such a thing as a wireless thermostat where the temperature sensor is remote? My thermostat is in a room that often gets closed off. Because of many insulation and design issues, that room stays warm while the other rooms get cold, because the thermostat never goes on. Since redoing the insulation is not feasible (Vermiculite), ideally I want to relocate the thermostat. But again because of brick walls and other design issues, doing so would cost me well over a $1000 (from a couple of quotes, so I am taking that at face value).

The simple and cheap option, if I can find one, is to find a remote temperature sensor and tie that in with a wireless thermostat. But I have not been able to locate one. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?
With a situation like that, you will need separate thermostats and separate heaters to maintain comfortable temperatures in both parts of the house. Even if you find a remote thermostat that will work to keep the closed off section of the house comfortable, the other portion of the house will NOT have a comfortable temperature.

You're going to have to stop closing off a portion of the house or find supplemental heat for the colder portion of the house.

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

578 posts, read 569,843 times
It's a lot easier to cool that room that has the thermostat then to heat everything else.

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
1 story?
2 story?
T/stat on which floor?
Is t/stat in bdrm, living rm, etc., etc.?
Where is furnace/air handler? And its proximity (distance) to t/sat?

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

23,267 posts, read 18,787,820 times
The thermostat needs some way to receive a signal transmitted from a remote probe in that other room. The probe would either need to be placed within some specific distance of the thermostat or the two would need to be connected via some sort of cable. Probably can't create an OTA signal that bends around corners , so a cable would need to run through a wall. You'd also need some way to prioritize which room you want the thermostat to react to...the room the thermostat is mounted in or the room the probe is placed in.

Then there's the issue of how many temperature signals the thermostat can react to at any one time. It may only respond to one. Or, as other more knowledgeable folks here have mentioned, the air return isn't working the way you want.

FWIW, my gas-fired direct vent wall furnace uses a wireless remote thermostat. I can locate the remote anywhere I want as long as it is within 15' of the furnace and the remote is oriented so the line of sight signal can be picked up by the furnace receiver.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 04:09 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Call a reputable HVAC company. Explain the hot/cold areas and other issues. They can look at your unit, duct work, and controls and offer a more focused solution. Problem may be air balance or leaking air duct to certain areas.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,499,450 times
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/emerson-sensi-touch-2-smart-programmable-wi-fi-thermostat-works-with-alexa-black-beveled-edge/6529729.p?skuId=6529729

Old Today, 02:08 PM

6,368 posts, read 2,702,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post

Most "Smart" Thermostats will have that ability. That would be brands like Nest or Ecobee. You would have to buy the base thermostat to replace your current one and then add additional Remote Sensors to the system.

The other hack that won't really cost you a dime, is to just adjust your main thermostat to the appropriate temperature to cause it to go on at the desired temperature for the other rooms. So in other words, if it's about a 10-degree difference and you want the heat to come on at 68 in the other rooms, set the thermostat to 78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House