Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 02:59 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,538,352 times

Advertisements

DH and I both have plan G with UHC/AARP. Increase in January 2025 for me $20 per month. Increase for DH $30 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 04:57 AM

472 posts, read 470,343 times
I just got my annual notice of increase from UHC. In June I'll be paying $25 a month more and it will go up another $8 in September. I was on the plan F until last year when UHC raised my rate significantly. When I switched to the plan G I figured it will probably go up soon. It has gone up but not as dramatically as the plan F kept going up every year.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:52 AM

841 posts, read 1,123,983 times
This year is my first time with a supplemental plan and original medicare.

My premium for Plan G will increase by $18 starting in August 2024 through June 2025. I didn't know what to expect with the rate changes.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:50 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,878,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I just got my annual notice of increase from UHC. In June I'll be paying $25 a month more and it will go up another $8 in September. I was on the plan F until last year when UHC raised my rate significantly. When I switched to the plan G I figured it will probably go up soon. It has gone up but not as dramatically as the plan F kept going up every year.
How easy was it to change? Our F is becoming ridiculous and are considering changing but when I called UHC they made it sound so complicated. The woman told me that if I applied for G and was denied due to medical underwriting then going back to F would mean that my rates would take a huge jump, almost as though I was applying new for F. That didn't seem right as I thought I would just keep going on F as though nothing had happened. I tried to explain that to her but she just kept telling me that I would get a huge jump on F, even more than what I was paying now. She acted as though it would affect her pay if we changed!! We don't have a lot of claims other than just regular doc visits.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:09 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
How easy was it to change? Our F is becoming ridiculous and are considering changing but when I called UHC they made it sound so complicated. The woman told me that if I applied for G and was denied due to medical underwriting then going back to F would mean that my rates would take a huge jump, almost as though I was applying new for F. That didn't seem right as I thought I would just keep going on F as though nothing had happened. I tried to explain that to her but she just kept telling me that I would get a huge jump on F, even more than what I was paying now. She acted as though it would affect her pay if we changed!! We don't have a lot of claims other than just regular doc visits.
Ask about Plan N. At one time UHC allowed a downgrade to N without medical underwriting. Premium differential can be substantial as one ages. You would pay the $240 Part B deductible, plus $20 copay for doctor visits. Plan N does not cover excess fees charged by nonparticipating providers, but those are rare. Chances are all your doctors are participating Medicare providers.

Many here have Plan N, have had serious surgery and cancer issues, and have been very happy with the coverage. As an example, in WI, at my age 82, the premium differential between Plan F and N is over $1,200 a year. Unless you are doctoring 48 weeks of the year, Plan N would be a better choice.

Also, again as a reminder, high-deductible F/G can be an excellent alternative for the full Medigap at a fraction of the cost. Medicare pays its 80%, you pay the copays up to $2,800. Many people here have the HD plan. At my age 82, premium for the HD is $848/year. Recent thread on the HD plan, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...hts-re-hd.html

Depending on your state, you may need to undergo health underwriting to switch to an HD plan. UHC at this time does not offer the HD in most states, although they are planning a rollout for the HD in Florida in June. However, many other carriers do offer the HD. Mine is with United American.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-30-2024 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Corrections made per the O.P.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:48 PM

956 posts, read 792,399 times
I'm 67, turning 68 in five months. My UHC/AARP Plan F went up $15/month starting for the month of June ($147 -> $162).

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 04-30-2024 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: add clarity

Old 05-02-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I'm 67, turning 68 in five months. My UHC/AARP Plan F went up $15/month starting for the month of June ($147 -> $162).
You are early in your discount period. I'm 71, turning 72 in July and hubby is 72 turning 73 in Oct. We both started our Medicare/Supplement when we turned 65 so that gave him a year on me. Our joint charge has been $444.17 per month and is is jumping up to $497 in June. Of course we have separate accounts now so I see that his is about $40 more than mine due to the discount year. Mine is immediately going up another $20 in July for my birthday, and his is going up $20 in October. So we will be over $500 per month for the 2 of us by the end of this year. Hubby works part time and part of his agreement is that the employer gives him a monthly amount which covers the UHC, but hubby has to fully retire in Sept, so that will go away in Sept. We really need to find something cheaper.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 733,320 times
Quote:
You are early in your discount period. I'm 71, turning 72 in July and hubby is 72 turning 73 in Oct. We both started our Medicare/Supplement when we turned 65 so that gave him a year on me. Our joint charge has been $444.17 per month and is is jumping up to $497 in June. Of course we have separate accounts now so I see that his is about $40 more than mine due to the discount year. Mine is immediately going up another $20 in July for my birthday, and his is going up $20 in October. So we will be over $500 per month for the 2 of us by the end of this year. Hubby works part time and part of his agreement is that the employer gives him a monthly amount which covers the UHC, but hubby has to fully retire in Sept, so that will go away in Sept. We really need to find something cheaper.
Yes, it gets insane. I have used mine once in 6yrs for a colonoscopy. They paid a whopping $241. which would have been easy to pay out of pocket.

Old 05-04-2024, 04:53 AM

472 posts, read 470,343 times
Quote:
I switched in conjunction with moving from Florida to Indiana and I did have to undergo medical underwriting. I just had to answer several questions over the phone but it wasn't complicated. Actually, changing my address with Aetna Silverscripts was far worse. They asked me a zillion questions over the phone. I was on the phone with them for over an hour. Silverscripts has jacked my rate up considerably in the past year and I'm pretty sure I'll be dumping them in the Fall. They are about worthless in my opinion.

I think UHC will keep jacking up rates on plan F until people give up on it and switch to a cheaper plan. For me it was a no brainer to switch as the premium difference between F and G was greater than my plan G deductible.

Old 05-04-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I switched in conjunction with moving from Florida to Indiana and I did have to undergo medical underwriting. I just had to answer several questions over the phone but it wasn't complicated. Actually, changing my address with Aetna Silverscripts was far worse. They asked me a zillion questions over the phone. I was on the phone with them for over an hour. Silverscripts has jacked my rate up considerably in the past year and I'm pretty sure I'll be dumping them in the Fall. They are about worthless in my opinion.

I think UHC will keep jacking up rates on plan F until people give up on it and switch to a cheaper plan. For me it was a no brainer to switch as the premium difference between F and G was greater than my plan G deductible.
Thanks for the info. Your experience gives me a bit of hope. What I don't understand is why can't they just look at our claim history? Since we have been with them since the beginning they have it all right at their fingertips. A simple yes or no should be easy. I realize who you first talk with isn't an underwriting person, but just connect me with one and we'll get it done. Everything anymore is way too difficult. I can't imagine my parents having to deal with all this stuff.....they would have driven me crazy getting it done or else do something that cost them big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance