Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 11:29 AM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

We had to call the paramedics a few weeks ago because my mom was lying on the floor and couldn't get up.
I tried very hard to talk with her but she wouldn't get up so we called paramedics. They came and did some simple steps. She got up okay. The whole thing was like 15 minutes.

They sent a form to me and I entered the insurance info, which was Medicare and other insurance. Then they called me and said this type of service is not covered by either insurance because they didn't take her to a hospital. I guess we have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Was this an ambulance company? Usually the fire department would do this service and not charge for it, I know here that is free. Ambulance companies charge for the visit and the transport, if any. Medicare part B pays for paramedic/ambulance but only under certain circumstances. If they feel that it was inappropriate for the circumstances, they won't pay. I would bet that in this case since she was not transported, it didn't require paramedics. When my (late) mother-in-law fell and couldn't get up, she had a couple of injuries and was transported to the ER, and Medicare picked that up.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:23 PM

It was our city's "fire department and ambulance."

Old 02-14-2024, 12:25 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
You'll probably have to pay, BUT I would call and discuss it with both Medicare and the other insurance, as sometimes, it takes a little effort to get an insurance company to pay. At the very least, you'll understand how it works in the future, should something similar happen.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:44 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Was this an ambulance company? Usually the fire department would do this service and not charge for it, I know here that is free. Ambulance companies charge for the visit and the transport, if any. Medicare part B pays for paramedic/ambulance but only under certain circumstances.
Where I live, the city fire department also provides EMS & ambulance transport, but I know they do charge for medical response. However, it is essentially a "non-profit" local government operation, and although I don't know what the current fees are, the last time I checked, emergency medical response with no transport to an ER, resulted in only a nominal fee.

In a situation where someone has fallen but couldn't get up on their own, but didn't otherwise exhibit any medical symptoms or signs of injury, insurance may deny a claim, as there was no actual medical issue.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Where I live, the city fire department also provides EMS & ambulance transport, but I know they do charge for medical response. However, it is essentially a "non-profit" local government operation, and although I don't know what the current fees are, the last time I checked, emergency medical response with no transport to an ER, resulted in only a nominal fee.

In a situation where someone has fallen but couldn't get up on their own, but didn't otherwise exhibit any medical symptoms or signs of injury, insurance may deny a claim, as there was no actual medical issue.
Interesting, another city near us charges too, but the Fire District we are in doesn't charge for anything. We pay for it through our (high) property taxes.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:45 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
In terms of health insurance coverage, this is probably important...no actual medical care was provided.

My elderly dad called 911 when he couldn't get back on his feet after losing his balance during a nighttime bathroom visit. No contributing medical issue, no injury, treatment or transport. Fire department/EMTs responded. He received a bill for the call. Insurance didn't cover it.

Forewarned is forearmed OP. Agree that you should look into how emergency response in your area works and what if anything your current health insurance would pay for.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2024 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 04:42 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I always heard the fire dept would do this for free. I lived in a place with a regional ambulance service, that quite often came by for my elderly landlord. I asked them once if they charged money for "house calls"; the answer was No, only if they transported you to the hospital.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:58 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Lesson learned- go to the hospital?

Old 02-14-2024, 05:19 PM

What bothers me is that I asked the paramedics if we would be charged and he said "no." I even offered my mom's medicare card number and they said not to show it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance