Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2024, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 22,367 times

Advertisements

I would love to build a modest home on St Simons Island. I know when I am ready to make the move, the best thing to do is contact a realtor to help find the lot and help find a builder. However, I just want some input on pricing to see if it is even possible.

My main question is...if I purchased a lot on the island, does anyone know if I could build an approx 2000 sq ft home for around $350k-$400K (this price does not include the lot)?
I see many custom home builders in the area, but I am not looking for a multi-million dollar home.

I will probably have to look outside of St Simons Island, but just wanted to throw this out and see if anyone knows! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 08:35 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
In terms of budget, I see no problem with what you're setting aside for construction, but the omission of the lot budget is puzzling to me, as this can fluctuate wildly depending on location. The rule of thumb for land costs on the island that the further north you go, the cheaper it gets...but it ain't cheap anywhere on SSI. Your best bets are probably the Glynn Haven or Harrington neighborhoods.
If you want the SSI experience without the high price tag, you might consider these nearly neighborhoods:

Riverside
Blythe Island
Oak Grove
Satilla Shores
Tolomato (in neighboring McIntosh County)

I will DM you the name of a reputable builder that I used for a couple of renovation projects.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 22,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
In terms of budget, I see no problem with what you're setting aside for construction, but the omission of the lot budget is puzzling to me, as this can fluctuate wildly depending on location. The rule of thumb for land costs on the island that the further north you go, the cheaper it gets...but it ain't cheap anywhere on SSI. Your best bets are probably the Glynn Haven or Harrington neighborhoods.
If you want the SSI experience without the high price tag, you might consider these nearly neighborhoods:

Riverside
Blythe Island
Oak Grove
Satilla Shores
Tolomato (in neighboring McIntosh County)

I will DM you the name of a reputable builder that I used for a couple of renovation projects.
Thank you so much for the information. I like the looks of Blythe Island. But I am worried about the Mill smell since it is west of the mill. I know the smell is bad all over sometimes, but is it worse or constant on blythe?

Old 03-21-2024, 06:38 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makememories8 View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I like the looks of Blythe Island. But I am worried about the Mill smell since it is west of the mill. I know the smell is bad all over sometimes, but is it worse or constant on blythe?
I haven't noticed an odor from the mill in years. There has been some considerable improvement in refinement technology in order to comply with EPA standards. I'm not sure why people still complain about it; if there is an odor, it's more likely to come from the marshes at low tide on a hot day.

Old Today, 03:47 PM

1 posts
I have a secondary home not too far from the SSI airport. When the wind is from the West I do sometimes smell the mill, however it is not that bothersome at all. Typically that is not the predominant wind direction luckily.

On top of your lot cost, I would say plan on $300 per sq foot as a buliding cost. Before anyone says that is insane, things just cost more on the island and take longer to complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: