Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

The mystery plant that popped up from the new mulch in our new yard is still a mystery. You guys helped me with on this thread:

Help ID this plant/weed in Raleigh, NC please?

Has now grown to a length of about thirty feet. And it keeps going and going and going. It has many flowers (photos in the thread above), and the bees have done their thing. So now we have fruit (or should I call it a vegie?)

The prior thoughts was that this was a pumpkin, zucchini or squash. Now that you can see the shape and size of the fruit (this one is about 4 days old), what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
The monster mystery plant has fruit on it!-scaled1.jpg   The monster mystery plant has fruit on it!-scaled2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Hmmm! Gourd?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Squash, zukes and melons can fertilize one another and provide "mixed" plants from seed the next season. My neighbor had a cross between some sort of squash and a watermelon one year, and I had a cross between butternut and zucchini last year from saved seeds. I ate mine before they got hard, but I wouldn't recommend eating the ones you have if you didn't plant them.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,168 times
I am going with watermelon. Strangely shaped, but the stripes sure look similar. The leaves are definitely pumpkin, but is there such a thing as a watermelon pumpkin? With all the rain on the east coast lately, I have a feeling that whatever it ends up being, right now it is happy with all the added moisture!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Some call those "pumpkin" and some call them a "squash" (they are closely related and have similar leaves, flowers and growth habits) but either way it looks most like a Cushaw, most likely the one called Hopi Green Striped Cushaw. It is also called the Tennessee Sweet Potato Squash, an older southern heirloom variety.

Green Striped Cushaw, Green Striped Cushaw Pumpkin, Green Striped Cushaw Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkin Seeds, Seed Catalog, Vegetable Seeds, Seeds, Pumpkin Pies, Halloween, Halloween Pumpkins, Orange Pumpkins, Cucurbita pepo, PI 512128 - Reimer Seeds

Ark of Taste : Green-striped Cushaw : Slow Food USA

Squash Types -about halfway down

Pumpkin 5 seeds Cushaw green striped - $1.88 : BEing Plants, International seed supplier

Cushaw Green Striped Squash Seeds - Urban Farmer

Interesting that someone with gourmet in their name would have one, so here is a "gourmet" link on how to cook it!

The Novice Chef » Cushaw! How to clean it and how to use it!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Some call those "pumpkin" and some call them a "squash" (they are closely related and have similar leaves, flowers and growth habits) but either way it looks most like a Cushaw, most likely the one called Hopi Green Striped Cushaw. It is also called the Tennessee Sweet Potato Squash, an older southern heirloom variety.

Green Striped Cushaw, Green Striped Cushaw Pumpkin, Green Striped Cushaw Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkin Seeds, Seed Catalog, Vegetable Seeds, Seeds, Pumpkin Pies, Halloween, Halloween Pumpkins, Orange Pumpkins, Cucurbita pepo, PI 512128 - Reimer Seeds

Ark of Taste : Green-striped Cushaw : Slow Food USA

Squash Types -about halfway down

Pumpkin 5 seeds Cushaw green striped - $1.88 : BEing Plants, International seed supplier

Cushaw Green Striped Squash Seeds - Urban Farmer

Interesting that someone with gourmet in their name would have one, so here is a "gourmet" link on how to cook it!

The Novice Chef » Cushaw! How to clean it and how to use it!

Should have known you'd have the answer, Em!! Well done again!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
We are from Phoenix - our garden has always been cactus! So this thing popping up from the mulch has really been a huge amount of fun for us.

Thanks to all who have helped with the ID, making it all the more fun for us.

J&Em, thanks for those links. Assuming you are correct (and I suspect you are), would you eat these things (remember, please, that we didn't plant it)?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Haha yes I could still be wrong and it could be a mutant of one of those adorable round zucchini squashes. That's always the risk with plant ID from photos. You should see the bitterness between real experts on nonpublic horticulture sites on very, very tiny differences that may, or may not, be the same species all based on 3 not to clear photos.

I can't tell what kind of soil you have, what it has been treated with in the recent past and what you may have put down in the last year or two. Unless is has been dosed in pesticides for termites, or animal pests in that time it is more than likely safe to eat. It can't hurt to try a little bit. If it has a pretty good taste save the seeds and prepare a bed with organic soils, grow it how you feel safe next year and enjoy a bumper crop. Oh... and keep taking pictures since this has been a more fun thread than others here have been recently! The mystery vine that took over Jkgourmet's yard!!

LOL Tina.... :-)

Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
What you have looks like some sort of gourd. And yes, it is a fruit. Anything that has seeds and fleshy body is a fruit, even those things we know as vegitables like squash, tomatoes, etc. vegitables are leaves, stalks and roots.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
To give it a full chance to mature and protect it from rot and disease I'd place some cardboard under it. And when it is mature fry it up with some bacon---bacon makes everything taste great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden