Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times

Advertisements

Might be Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Added pics: the red flower you see in the back is from an oleander bush and not part of this tree.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
This one sure is interesting. It is most certainly not a beauty berry, much as that is a pretty bush and the berries are a similar color. The leaves look about the right shape and size for a rhododendron but the leaf placement is off and none in that family have berries anything like that. There are a handful of other shrubs and small trees with similar leaves but not those berries. A cool mystery and certainly not a tree I have around here!!

The last picture helped a bit and I am pretty sure you have an imported tree in the Syzgium family. It's probably the Australian Brush Cherry (Syzgium paniculatum) which looks like this:

Close up here:

It could also be one of the other members of the same family since they all have similar leaves and fruit color. Syzygium australe is another contender. The OP may want to compare the fruit up close to some of the following links to see which one since it is hard to see the details in either picture.

For S. australe: Syzygium australe or http://www.cropwildrelatives.org/fil...amilton%29.JPG

For S. paniculatum: Dr. Giuseppe MAZZA Journalist - Scientific photographer > PLANTS > Syzygium paniculatum or Syzygium paniculatum - Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust - Sydney, Australia

Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Looks like it could be a Brazillian Pepper Tree, there are a lot of them in your area.
brazillian pepper tree photos - Google Search

Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
That is definitely not Brazilian Pepper. BP has compound leaves, true red berries that show up in the winter, and a sprawling habit.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Shelbygirl,
Well, I think Ifigured out what your tree is.
I hope I am right on this one.
It is a Joy Perfume Tree.
Michelia Champaca look up online.
The seeds gave it away to me.
i am going to grow 5 of these trees soon, but I will
have to bring them inside in winter, unlike you.
Check out the pics online especailly of the seeds that look
exactly like what your tree has.
I hope I'm right for your sake.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Shelbygirl,
Well, I think Ifigured out what your tree is.
I hope I am right on this one.
It is a Joy Perfume Tree.
Michelia Champaca look up online.
The seeds gave it away to me.
i am going to grow 5 of these trees soon, but I will
have to bring them inside in winter, unlike you.
Check out the pics online especailly of the seeds that look
exactly like what your tree has.
I hope I'm right for your sake.
Looked it up and, no, I don't think so. The leaves are very different. But I sure thank you for trying! I do believe it is the Australian Brush Cherry.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
This one sure is interesting. It is most certainly not a beauty berry, much as that is a pretty bush and the berries are a similar color. The leaves look about the right shape and size for a rhododendron but the leaf placement is off and none in that family have berries anything like that. There are a handful of other shrubs and small trees with similar leaves but not those berries. A cool mystery and certainly not a tree I have around here!!

The last picture helped a bit and I am pretty sure you have an imported tree in the Syzgium family. It's probably the Australian Brush Cherry (Syzgium paniculatum) which looks like this:

Close up here:

It could also be one of the other members of the same family since they all have similar leaves and fruit color. Syzygium australe is another contender. The OP may want to compare the fruit up close to some of the following links to see which one since it is hard to see the details in either picture.

For S. australe: Syzygium australe or http://www.cropwildrelatives.org/fil...amilton%29.JPG

For S. paniculatum: Dr. Giuseppe MAZZA Journalist - Scientific photographer > PLANTS > Syzygium paniculatum or Syzygium paniculatum - Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust - Sydney, Australia

DING,DING.DING.....I believe we have a winner! Thank you ever so much J&EM! After researching and going through google imaging...I believe this is what these trees are. I am going to take a cutting into one of the nurseries around here when I get the chance. Again, thanks so much for helping me out!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM

242 posts, read 465,533 times
Certainly does favor my Sumacs!! they are volunteers around the edges of our clearing. They are pretty in full bloom.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Default Australian Brush Cherry

Hello...I have several Australian Brush Cherry trees...(Syzygium paniculatum)

I am expanding my backyard and will need more!
Does anyone know where I can buy more in Orange County, or LA I'm California?

Or, if we can't find it, I would be looking for

Or a simlar tree...maybe Lmon Swirl Australian Brush trees (for sale)

Madee1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden