Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 02:24 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,231,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Uncle Roger's real name is Nigel Ng and he is playing a character in these videos... he is a comedian. He certainly is Asian and was born in Malaysia, but his "Uncle Roger" character is supposed to be a stereotypical Asian Boomer. The interesting thing about him is - he may be a comedian, but he clearly really knows Asian cooking, and though his shtick is comedic roasting of professional chefs, most of his digs are on-target! His videos have actually been criticized as "racist" by some Asian-Americans, but if you watch closely, you can see that he has considerable affection for Asian food and culture, and lifts them up, even if he gently pokes fun now and then. I mean really the main targets of his jibes are famous western chefs who mangle Asian cooking and seem to have either never learned or just don't care about the proper traditional way of making these dishes. There is a reason that some recipes have survived for centuries - they're good!

He can be a little over the top at times, but he always gets me laughing :-). And though I know Indonesian food quite well, I get exposed to all kinds of other classic Asian dishes through his videos, so I like the whole experience - glad you also enjoy!
Exactly. Someone introduced me to Uncle Roger videos years ago. He's hilarious. I haven't watched him in a long time, so thanks so much for posting these.

In one of them I've seen, he breaks character and starts laughing. It's so funny because it's just such a stark visual of the difference between him and "Uncle Roger," and highlights that this is a character that he's portraying. I'm not sure if it was the same instance, but he also says something like, "That so bad, my foot fall off chair," because he's always in that same orange shirt and sitting with his knee bent and his foot on the chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Another classic by another master - Auntie Leah teaches him to make Filipino Adobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpWGnkO3e4
I definitely have to watch this one because I make this dish. I might need Uncle Roger (or Auntie Leah) to set me straight!

Old 04-20-2024, 03:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I definitely have to watch this one because I make this dish. I might need Uncle Roger (or Auntie Leah) to set me straight!
You get both the Auntie Leah recipe and the Uncle Roger recipe as well - I am curious to hear what you think! Any nice tips in here?

Old 04-20-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
You get both the Auntie Leah recipe and the Uncle Roger recipe as well - I am curious to hear what you think! Any nice tips in here?
Oh, okay. Good.

It seems to be a pretty simple recipe. The first time I had it, it was made by a Filipino friend of ours. Later, I found a recipe online, but it was a dud. Flavorless. I tried another one and loved it, and it's the same one I've used for years. Lots of garlic, and lots of vinegar.

I'll watch it now and see how much difference there is between the recipes.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That was great.

I'm pretty surprised; ours isn't much different. They put a little more effort into it, especially Auntie Leah (she is, after all, a restaurant owner). They marinate and cook for quite a bit longer than my recipe says to. I'm sure that deepens the flavor. What I do, is make the sauce in a pot and just slowly simmer for about 15 minutes. Then quickly brown a *whole head* of coarsely chopped garlic until softened, and then chicken thighs on top of it. Pour the sauce over it and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Don't let it come to a boil. It comes out very tangy and vinegary.

The main differences were that I don't use:

MSG (but I've already been meaning to try this in other Asian dishes)
Sugar (but I've thought about using a tiny bit - we really love the vinegary taste, but again, rounding out of flavor)
Peppercorns (I use freshly ground, but I can see doing this and it would be easier)
Green onions (we love tons of these - can't believe we've never added them to this dish)

The coconut milk is a big difference, but I can see it being good. I'm going to try that next time.

Sometimes we use rice, but a lot of the time we make mashed potatoes as a side. (Don't tell Uncle Roger...)

While this cooks, it's a sinus clearer, for sure.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That was great.

I'm pretty surprised; ours isn't much different. They put a little more effort into it, especially Auntie Leah (she is, after all, a restaurant owner). They marinate and cook for quite a bit longer than my recipe says to. I'm sure that deepens the flavor. What I do, is make the sauce in a pot and just slowly simmer for about 15 minutes. Then quickly brown a *whole head* of coarsely chopped garlic until softened, and then chicken thighs on top of it. Pour the sauce over it and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Don't let it come to a boil. It comes out very tangy and vinegary.

The main differences were that I don't use:

MSG (but I've already been meaning to try this in other Asian dishes)
Sugar (but I've thought about using a tiny bit - we really love the vinegary taste, but again, rounding out of flavor)
Peppercorns (I use freshly ground, but I can see doing this and it would be easier)
Green onions (we love tons of these - can't believe we've never added them to this dish)

The coconut milk is a big difference, but I can see it being good. I'm going to try that next time.

Sometimes we use rice, but a lot of the time we make mashed potatoes as a side. (Don't tell Uncle Roger...)

While this cooks, it's a sinus clearer, for sure.
Nice! Are those bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs then? I have never had Adobo, but it looks tasty, and it's apparently one of the most famous dishes from the Phillipines - I made need to give it a go! :-)

Old 04-20-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Nice! Are those bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs then? I have never had Adobo, but it looks tasty, and it's apparently one of the most famous dishes from the Phillipines - I made need to give it a go! :-)
My BF prefers boneless for as many meats as possible, lol, so I use boneless/skinless. The recipe just says, "Chicken pieces, cut up or whole." If you'd like to try it, here's the recipe I use. Hope you like it!

Chicken Adobo (Filipino Chicken with Garlic)
Serves 4.

2 lbs chicken pieces (cut up or whole)
1 head of garlic, coarsely chopped (yes, an entire head!)
4 Tbsp soy sauce (or more to taste)
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar (rice vinegar or white wine vinegar work best)
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp cooking oil

1. Put vinegar, bay leaves, pepper, soy sauce, and water in a saucepan. Cover and cook slowly about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan. Peel the garlic, break the cloves into chunks, and brown them over medium-low heat (about 5 minutes).
3. Add the chicken to the frypan and brown it over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the broth to the frypan and simmer, partly covered, until the chicken is done (about 30 minutes). Do not let it come to a boil.
5. Remove the bay leaves and serve over rice (or we also use mashed potatoes, pasta, etc.). "This dish is too strongly flavored to go well with wine; try serving it with beer."

"You can substitute pork for the chicken, or mix the two. In the Philippines it is the custom to marinate the meat for two days rather before simmering; with the top-grade meats that are universally available in our grocery stores, that is not necessary (though it does deepen and enrich the flavor). To marinate the chicken, mix in the broth and 3 of the garlic cloves after Step 1, then put the chicken in a glass dish and pour the marinade over it."

RATING:

Difficulty: easy
Time: 1 hour
Precision: approximate measurement okay

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

586 posts, read 320,595 times
Ever since the Mikey Chen debacle can’t take Nigel seriously. But the Jaime Oliver recipe and the one for BBC were truly bad.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
LOL - he is just ranting like he is upset by bad cooking, but I just can't stop laughing when I watch his videos - because what he's saying is true! And yep - that sandwich Ramsay made had all these high-end ingredients, but was burnt and absolutely swimming in oil and the cheese never melted... Sometimes I have tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so much .
That Gordon Ramsey grilled cheese video has been slammed all over YouTube. Even Mythical Kitchen did a show "teaching" him how to cook a grilled cheese. Almost as much fun as watching Cowboy Kent school Bobby Flay on how to cook a chicken fried steak.

Old Today, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That Gordon Ramsey grilled cheese video has been slammed all over YouTube. Even Mythical Kitchen did a show "teaching" him how to cook a grilled cheese. Almost as much fun as watching Cowboy Kent school Bobby Flay on how to cook a chicken fried steak.
"That bread so thick, no way heat gonna get though! Firemen can wear that bread and run into burning building!!!"

Actually I also really like the various Uncle Roger/Cowboy Kent Rollins videos... they have very good chemistry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt934YzJjMg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink