Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 03:35 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

When comparing the price of bone-in vs boneless steak and roasts, how much on a percent basis does the bone weigh in the cut of meat? Is there a rule of thumb ratio/proportion when comparison pricing bone-in vs boneless roasts? For example, if a bone-in ribeye roast is priced at $7.99lb, what should the boneless ribeye roast be priced at equivalently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 06:06 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
With few exceptions, beef roasts and steaks taste better cooked on the bone. I don't use price as my consideration of choice. There are exceptions when it comes to "Fad" pricing.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
I wish I could help you but I never buy bone-in meat other than pork chops for my fiance, and I always get the marked down meats (to save money) and freeze them for future use.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:28 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
With few exceptions, beef roasts and steaks taste better cooked on the bone. I don't use price as my consideration of choice. There are exceptions when it comes to "Fad" pricing.
I'd Agree

Cut the bone & fat you'll cut the flavor, It all depends on your intended final product.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:53 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It only makes sense that if you buy a cut of meat that costs $7.99 with bone in, a store will charge that amount, plus the cost of paying the person who is removing the bone, for boneless. I agree with others that, with a few exceptions, I prefer bone in meats. They are more flavorful.

I’m this way with everything. I wouldn’t buy cut up fruit, or vegetables either. I’m not paying others to do what I can do.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:09 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m this way with everything. I wouldn’t buy cut up fruit, or vegetables either. I’m not paying others to do what I can do.

Especially Chicken & Rib-eye's

Old 12-17-2019, 09:15 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hard to say. It depends on the cut. When it says bone-in, everything goes. From a very small piece of bone to a big bone and little meat. You need to feel with your fingers how big the bone is, and how much of it you are going to accept for the price.
The way they are putting the meat on the tray is always showing the favorite side, or the bone/or fat is covered by another slice of meat or product label. That's sad but allowed.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:22 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
When comparing the price of bone-in vs boneless steak and roasts, how much on a percent basis does the bone weigh in the cut of meat? Is there a rule of thumb ratio/proportion when comparison pricing bone-in vs boneless roasts? For example, if a bone-in ribeye roast is priced at $7.99lb, what should the boneless ribeye roast be priced at equivalently?
I have never really looked at percentage difference in the price, but for cuts that are available both ways, boneless are usually considerably more expensive. I never buy boneless when I have a choice. In every style of cooking I do, the bone-in meats are so much more flavorful. Even with smoked meats where I will trim all of the fat possible before cooking, I will still leave the bone. Beans cooked with a ham bone taste so much different than beans cooked with just the ham. Prepare that ribeye roast with the bone and when you are all done pick away at the meat hugging that bone...it will be the best part of the whole roast.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:29 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It only makes sense that if you buy a cut of meat that costs $7.99 with bone in, a store will charge that amount, plus the cost of paying the person who is removing the bone, for boneless. I agree with others that, with a few exceptions, I prefer bone in meats. They are more flavorful.

Me too, but sometimes that's not practical or possible. If you want two T-bone steaks or a few pork chops, you aren't going to buy a big piece to carve the bone out. You just buy a precut serving on a tray.
If you are buying a chunk for a roast, or whole rack of ribs, then you can buy it with a bone because it's cheaper that way.

OP didn't ask about the flavors, but the $$$ value. It can be significant on expensive cuts of beef such as T-bones, Porterhouse or bone-in ribeyes where you are buying a big amount of bone.
Here is a chart with edible yields of many products:
https://www.usfoods.com/content/dam/...onversions.pdf

Old 12-17-2019, 10:04 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Bone-in is not better than boneless. Just make sure that there is nice marbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink