Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 08:14 PM

17,554 posts, read 39,191,005 times

Advertisements

Here is a nice little article on Lakeland in Southern Living that just came out. It is geared toward things to do and see here if you want a little day trip, side trip between Tampa and Orlando. Nice clickable links to the suggestions included.

https://www.southernliving.com/lakeland-florida-8602024
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 09:21 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Here is a nice little article on Lakeland in Southern Living that just came out. It is geared toward things to do and see here if you want a little day trip, side trip between Tampa and Orlando. Nice clickable links to the suggestions included.

Nice article about Lakeland! Thank you for the link. We spent two nights there when our daughter was visiting Florida colleges and universities. I think that it's the only US college campus that was designed almost entirely by Frank Lloyd Wright. The campus is strikingly beautiful, and in full bloom when we visited in April.

Lakeland is a pretty spot itself, and it has a Southern charm that some Florida cities are devoid of. It's proximity to Tampa and Orlando are a plus.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:55 PM

1,027 posts, read 554,808 times
My oldest son lives in Lakeland. There isn't much to see out there.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
LOL - could not disagree more. But that's OK, it is only important to those of us who love and appreciate what it has to offer.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:44 PM

733 posts, read 1,304,158 times
Quote:

Lakeland has come a long way since my departure in 1994. Great find!

Old 03-14-2024, 01:02 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
Quote:
What more stimulation is needed beyond the vibrant downtown with restaurants/bars/brewpubs, concerts, outdoor events, Detroit Tigers spring training/games, outdoor recreational options, art museum and two large vibrant shopping malls/centers?

Old 03-17-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What more stimulation is needed beyond the vibrant downtown with restaurants/bars/brewpubs, concerts, outdoor events, Detroit Tigers spring training/games, outdoor recreational options, art museum and two large vibrant shopping malls/centers?
I'm proud of Lakeland despite the negative media it and Polk County receive. I love Bonnet Springs. I can't wait to go back. Just one of many hidden gems and truthfully, I hope it stays that way. Too many people moving there already.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 03-17-2024 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-17-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
I'm proud of Lakeland despite the negative media it and Polk County receive. I love Bonnet Springs. I can't wait to go back. Just one of many hidden gems and truthfully, I hope it stays that way. Too many people moving there already.
Yes! We Loooooove Bonnet Springs Park and feel so fortunate to have this in our backyard! My husband and I go there for long walks several times per week. It is such a wonderful place for families, so many fantastic things for kids of all ages!

Yes, Lakeland has come a long way, I am not against (the right kind) of growth. I just don't want to see it go the way of the bigger cities. Maybe it's good that it still gets a bit of negative publicity, otherwise we might really get slammed with overpopulation here if too many foiks discover just how nice it really is!

Old 03-17-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes! We Loooooove Bonnet Springs Park and feel so fortunate to have this in our backyard! My husband and I go there for long walks several times per week. It is such a wonderful place for families, so many fantastic things for kids of all ages!

Yes, Lakeland has come a long way, I am not against (the right kind) of growth. I just don't want to see it go the way of the bigger cities. Maybe it's good that it still gets a bit of negative publicity, otherwise we might really get slammed with overpopulation here if too many folks discover just how nice it really is!
I took my children (17 & 13) to Bonnet Springs while visiting family last January so we could get some fresh, warm air away from Atlanta. Secretly, I just wanted to check it out for myself. They were both impressed as my 17 year old son is only moved by food and girls, lol. I didn't expect to be there more than an hour, two at best. Five hours later, I still felt like I missed some things as there was so much to explore and longing for the day I go back alone to truly soak it in.

He who controls the media controls the narrative, or at least directs the spotlight away from their own BS, lol. Lakeland will never be more than it is; a large sprawling town living in the beastly shows of its neighbors to the east and west, AT BEST. A 120ft height limited in the downtown core and limited density even where density is encouraged. Lakeland is very much taking baby steps in that respect. However, I fully expect Winter Haven to embrace increased density and start developing a skyline that rivals Lakeland in the very near future.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
There's plenty to see and do depending on your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida