Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:32 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,223,078 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me the name of the boot style where the boot has two "rabbit ear" pull flaps at the top of each side of the boot.

Sometimes they might be riding boot style, but they always have the two dangling pulls, about three inches long on each side of the top of the boot.

I thought I heard those dangling flaps called "rabbit ear pulls." But I've googled and googled and can't find any pictures o what I'm thinking of.

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,001,206 times
I always thought they were called boot straps.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,343,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I always thought they were called boot straps.
Yes, they are, at least in my experience. I'm from the Midwest so maybe other areas of the country call them something else.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,434,590 times
And that, children, is where the expression "pull oneself up by one's bootstraps" came from.

From which derives the term "booting up" as related to computers.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,923,577 times
There are different styles of boot pulls for practical reasons. Rabbit ears refer to inside pull straps made of double strength cotton.

http:www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=30903529

Last edited by Danbo1957; 03-19-2019 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,347,415 times
Bootstraps is the correct term. Their presence doesn't create a "style" of boots, they're just an accessory. The dual loops on either side of the shaft are fairly unique to western riding boots (most work boots have one at the back of the shaft), but not all cowboy boots have them.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,696,647 times
19th century style boots are a lot different than what we see today. They were all mostly square toe, calf high and designed for pants to go inside them. They also had pegged leather soles and many had hob nails if the owner spent a lot of time in the saddle.

Todays style with pointed toes, shorter uppers and designed to be covered by pants weren't around back in 1873. We also have jeans today that are called "boot cut" that weren't around elsewhen. Pants back then were mostly made of wool and were made to go inside the wearers boots. Narrow at the lower leg.

The lace up style of cowboy boot is the newest kid on the block. People in the old days who didn't wear pull on boots wore what was called a brogan which were only ankle high and had laces. These were what was issued to infantrymen in the Army while cavalry wore the calf high pull on boots.

Boots back then were made for riding. First last and only. Today we have "cowboy" boots that are for dress only. Many styles of boots and material used to make them are just for show. My personal boots are 1874 style cavalry boots. From MO Boot and Shoe co. They are the best riding boots I've ever had and I've had a few, but they do suck to do a lot of walking in.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,745,341 times
AFAIK those are called boot straps. The biggest difference in cowboy boots are if it has a riding heel or walking (aka roper ) heel (and there are two styles western/classic or roper which refers to the height of the boot. Tips can be rounded, squared or pointed but that’s a preference. There are many heels out today all with different purposes.
Here’s all you wanna know about boots

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_boot

Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,223,078 times
OP here. I know they're boot straps. I am NOT talking about the rounded loops that you just pull on of put your finger through to pull up.

I was watching an episode of an old TV show, "Have Gun will Travel." And a character on the show had boots that had long dangling boot straps outside the boot dangling down from the top....like a rabbit's ears flapping downward. In the show it was a jackboot or cavalry style of boot. But I believe I've seen the dangling style pulls on some Native American boots as well. NOT cowboy boots however.

Well,, the main character, Palladin, was trying to describe the other man's possessions and asked about the boots the man wore. I didn't catch exactly what he said. But I THOUGHT, he' asked, "did the man have boots with "rabbit ear boot straps?" I haven't been able to find any boot photos using that term. I thought I'd ask here in case someone knew about them, and whether that's phrase used to describe that style of boot strap.

I don't know how to add pictures but I found the episode, the boots are on screen are at 2:16 into video. And he calls them "rabbit ear pulls" at about 6:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8cTLEcCZQ

Thanks

Last edited by selhars; 03-25-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,347,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP here. I know they're boot straps. I am NOT talking about the rounded loops that you just pull on of put your finger through to pull up.

I was watching an episode of an old TV show, "Have Gun will Travel." And a character on the show had boots that had long dangling boot straps outside the boot dangling down from the top....like a rabbit's ears flapping downward. In the show it was a jackboot or cavalry style of boot. But I believe I've seen the dangling style pulls on some Native American boots as well. NOT cowboy boots however.

Well,, the main character, Palladin, was trying to describe the other man's possessions and asked about the boots the man wore. I didn't catch exactly what he said. But I THOUGHT, he' asked, "did the man have boots with "rabbit ear boot straps?" I haven't been able to find any boot photos using that term. I thought I'd ask here in case someone knew about them, and whether that's phrase used to describe that style of boot strap.

I don't know how to add pictures but I found the episode, the boots are on screen are at 2:16 into video. And he calls them "rabbit ear pulls" at about 6:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8cTLEcCZQ

Thanks
Those are mule ears. I've never heard them referred to as "rabbit ears" although I guess that name fits as well.

They don't define the style of boot, though. It's just an accessory that can be added to any style of boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty