Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,786 times

Advertisements

Try as I might, applying false eyelashes is hard. I've worn them once so far, and my glasses hid that they weren't applied remotely near my natural lashes.
Gotta practice putting on these things for when I feel like wearing contacts.
Any suggestions? My nails are short, so no problem handling them. The challenge lies with applying the false lashes close to my real ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
I wore them for years. I found that using a toothpick to help herd them into the right place helped, gets the lash right against the lash line, and starting at the outer part of the eyelid also helps, along with practice!
Also, once you take them off the little platform thing, flex the lash to start bending to the curve of your eyelid, that helps a lot!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,003,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I wore them for years. I found that using a toothpick to help herd them into the right place helped, gets the lash right against the lash line, and starting at the outer part of the eyelid also helps, along with practice!
Also, once you take them off the little platform thing, flex the lash to start bending to the curve of your eyelid, that helps a lot!
Merely READING this helps a lot already. I hadn't done ANY of that. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Merely READING this helps a lot already. I hadn't done ANY of that. Thanks.
I used to watch my Mom put them on when I was a little girl back in the 60s, thats what she always did, glad to help!
The flex thing I figured out myself, the plastic thingee will "remember" the shape of your lid after wearing them for a bit.....also, the glue peels off more easily if you get the lashes wet.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,929,097 times
you can prob also find plenty of tutorials on youtube if you need a visual

Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 129,704 times
Also, after you put the glue on, wait about one minute so the glue gets tacky. They will go on easier and not slide right off while you're trying to apply them. And you don't need a lot of glue either, just a very thin line.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
There are places that will put them on for you...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:58 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,354,605 times
Very good tips above. Also, most lashes straight out of the container are too long for many.

To measure: Hold lash to your natural lash line closest to the inner corner near your nose. As you arc/lay it across your natural lashes, if there's any excess (passed your own lash line on the outer corner) trim that end slightly with sharp scissors. Best to do 2 small snips than take off too much, so remeasure until you're comfortable with length.

Note: If you ever get glue on your scissors, use a cotton ball with alcohol & it easily disappears. You can use nail polish remover for stubborn old gunk with a Q-Tip, but then wash your scissors with soap/water & towel dry immediately so it doesn't damage the stainless steel blades.

Some lashes can be too long in front. If worn for special occasions alone (like I do, normally at night functions 1-2 times/yr), it won't matter probably. For daily street wear, I've always trimmed them just a touch (1/8-1/4") to make it not so obvious they're lashes from across the street. Best done in small snips, too.

Couple of tips: If you put on at least 1 slight coat of mascara first, it's easier to position them as the lash now has a stiffer base on which to rest. Some people use tweezers to guide the lash into position. You'll learn your own method over time.

Purchase a discount practice pair, like Ardell from Sally's in one of their clearance bins & clip, glue & hack away at those. And, yes, as Victorhe said above, there are great tutorials on YouTube for lash application. My 20-yr old niece is a regular viewer of YT cosmetics vids by the video blogging sect & does impressive makeup on herself & others just from those.

Lastly, it's much easier putting lashes on someone else than yourself (I can do them in seconds on someone else... have the person look down towards the floor to remain still... it still takes minutes on me)... if you can find a friend to practice on, it might help you when later doing your own.

I see a lot of younger girls wearing them today. In my day (the 80's), it was giant teased hair that was all the rage... we girls just couldn't backcomb, spray & gel enough. Have lots of fun, good luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister sugar View Post
Also, after you put the glue on, wait about one minute so the glue gets tacky. They will go on easier and not slide right off while you're trying to apply them. And you don't need a lot of glue either, just a very thin line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Very good tips above. Also, most lashes straight out of the container are too long for many.

To measure: Hold lash to your natural lash line closest to the inner corner near your nose. As you arc/lay it across your natural lashes, if there's any excess (passed your own lash line on the outer corner) trim that end slightly with sharp scissors. Best to do 2 small snips than take off too much, so remeasure until you're comfortable with length.

Note: If you ever get glue on your scissors, use a cotton ball with alcohol & it easily disappears. You can use nail polish remover for stubborn old gunk with a Q-Tip, but then wash your scissors with soap/water & towel dry immediately so it doesn't damage the stainless steel blades.

Some lashes can be too long in front. If worn for special occasions alone (like I do, normally at night functions 1-2 times/yr), it won't matter probably. For daily street wear, I've always trimmed them just a touch (1/8-1/4") to make it not so obvious they're lashes from across the street. Best done in small snips, too.

Couple of tips: If you put on at least 1 slight coat of mascara first, it's easier to position them as the lash now has a stiffer base on which to rest. Some people use tweezers to guide the lash into position. You'll learn your own method over time.

Purchase a discount practice pair, like Ardell from Sally's in one of their clearance bins & clip, glue & hack away at those. And, yes, as Victorhe said above, there are great tutorials on YouTube for lash application. My 20-yr old niece is a regular viewer of YT cosmetics vids by the video blogging sect & does impressive makeup on herself & others just from those.

Lastly, it's much easier putting lashes on someone else than yourself (I can do them in seconds on someone else... have the person look down towards the floor to remain still... it still takes minutes on me)... if you can find a friend to practice on, it might help you when later doing your own.

I see a lot of younger girls wearing them today. In my day (the 80's), it was giant teased hair that was all the rage... we girls just couldn't backcomb, spray & gel enough. Have lots of fun, good luck!
Yes to both of these....I always trimmed the lashes before wearing, both for length, and mussed the lashes a bit between my fingers to get a more natural look, and then trimmed the individual hairs.......
its funny this thread popped up when it did.....I am training a pair of lashes to wear this coming weekend for a class reunion, gotta look fabulous, you know, lol

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,354,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
... its funny this thread popped up when it did.....I am training a pair of lashes to wear this coming weekend for a class reunion, gotta look fabulous, you know, lol
Too funny. I'm "in training" for upcoming New Year's Eve. No plans yet, but I'm hopeful. I thought I'd put them on a few days/wk just around the house to adjust to the feel, lest I be at a function, forget I'm wearing them & screech because I think a creepy crawler fell on me.

Have lots of fun at the reunion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty