Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM

55 posts, read 238,243 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am wanting to relocate to Las Cruces and am considering applying for some jobs in El Paso. Is anyone doing this commute during typical business hours? If so, what's it like?

Thanks
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,720,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenssal View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am wanting to relocate to Las Cruces and am considering applying for some jobs in El Paso. Is anyone doing this commute during typical business hours? If so, what's it like?

Thanks
K
Hi kathleenssal -

As you know I am not a resident in the area currently, so hopefully there may be one or two people here that chime in that are making the commute daily who could give you better specifics, although offhand, I do not recall any of the regular posters in the EP Forum being regular commuters between EP and LC for work (although I could be wrong). Hopefully you'll get some "local insight" though!

I will just add my thoughts for you:

-As you know, I am also working to relocate to the area, and I certainly would be willing to do this commute, although surely it isn't perfectly ideal. However, if you would much prefer to live in Las Cruces, you'd be giving yourself obviously a much, much bigger job pool to choose from by opening yourself up to El Paso, as 'Cruces isn't even 100K people and EP is roughly 600,000.

-There are many people who live in Las Cruces who do commute to EP, so you wouldn't be alone (perhaps you could even find a carpool situation in time to save the gas $$ and the mileage). Also, I knew many people up in Albuquerque who regularly commute to Santa Fe for work, which is slightly longer (EP to LC is roughly 45 miles / ABQ to SF is roughly 55 miles).

-A big consideration as you probably know is WHERE in El Paso you'd be commuting to. El Paso's east side and west side is split kind of around the Franklin Mountains...so if you are coming from Las Cruces, to save many minutes in the car and miles, it probably would be ideal if you were working at least on the west side of EP, or, even Downtown, rather than the far east side, as that could add many more minutes.

-When I have driven this stretch between LC and EP during rush hour hours, it has never been much anymore congested or crowded than it ever is, save for construction or accidents. The stretch is rather open and speeds are high, so usually at least it'd be an "easier" drive, as easy 45 mile drives get, meaning, at least your typically not going to be white-knuckle for 30 of the 45 miles. Heck, although it might cause a little more stress due to the gas $$$ being spent, it might be a good way to unwind at the end of the day!

-I think for me personally, either I would have to MUCH rather live in LC over EP, or, get just a great job offer in one of the towns opposite in which I lived, for me to want to do that drive. Otherwise, again, just me personally, I would probably opt to live in El Paso or a close-by suburb right over the TX-NM border, just because of the time / gas $$ / mileage wear-and-tear on the car. However, I think its definitely doable.

I know my folks live in a far northern suburb of Milwaukee, WI (where I currently am) and that is about 30 miles away and they make the drive to-fro work every day - people here think nothing of that. LC - EP wouldn't be all that much more extreme.

Good luck! I really hope your relo works out for you!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi EnjoyEP
thanks for the good info. I am going to be looking at city and county government work so will check where those offices are located. I am not eager to commute, however, I need to expand my job search. I believe Texas does not have state employment tax so that could help a bit with gas costs. I have decided to be much more open in my job search as I am wanting to make the change this year!
Thanks for your good info and for taking time to reply! I wish you the best of luck as well!
katy

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,720,807 times
No problem kathleenssal, I hear you on needing to expand the job search, I am keeping both El Paso AND Las Cruces open as options as well! For the right job, while commuting isn't enviable, it is worth it.

Quick question (and somewhat personal so if you don't want to answer it please don't feel compelled to), but just curious - wondering why you want to live in LC over El Paso? Just for my own personal thoughts I guess more than anything too. Just meaning, if you caught a job in EP, would you still want to live in LC and commute, or would you consider still living in EP?

I guess the economics are kind of even - in EP you'd have lower housing costs and no income tax, however, in LC you'd have lower property taxes. Some in a different thread did dispel the idea of living in NM and working in EP and thus getting the low property taxes of NM and the no income taxes of EP...they noted it doesn't work that way - that if you live in NM, you pay NM income taxes regardless of if you work across state lines...bummer.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Default COMMUTING to EP from LC

Hi EnjoyEP
I have a house in LC. And I would love to live in it!! I do not like the idea of commuting but I may have to do it. I "heard" that it may be difficult for me to get a job because I am coming from California. I was born in El Paso so I may need to emblazen that somehow across my applications! LOL!!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM

722 posts, read 2,102,310 times
Quote:
Hi EnjoyEP
thanks for the good info. I am going to be looking at city and county government work so will check where those offices are located. I am not eager to commute, however, I need to expand my job search. I believe Texas does not have state employment tax so that could help a bit with gas costs. I have decided to be much more open in my job search as I am wanting to make the change this year!
Thanks for your good info and for taking time to reply! I wish you the best of luck as well!
katy
If you are going to live in New Mexico and work in Texas, you will pay New Mexico state income tax.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,965,224 times
You do know that it is a 45 min trip from Las Cruces to West El Paso right? From Google Maps.. 45.3 mi – about 46 mins.

It would not be cost effective.. with gas prices in the area on the rise, and the low pay in this region.. I doubt you would be able to survive on that commute for very long, unless your independently wealthy.

A good point raised.. you would also pay New Mexico income tax on monies made in Texas. There are jobs in Las Cruces, and it is a growing community.. I would look there first before considering that commute.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks
K
I've done it -- not a regular job but I've commuted filling in for a couple weeks here and there -- somewhat regularly.

It's an enjoyable drive -- but you don't want to commute from LC to the far east side of El Paso.

Actually it can be quicker getting between Las Cruces and El Paso NE or NW than from NW to East because of frequent traffic accidents in the morning and evening rush hour traffic in El Paso. Between El Paso and Las Cruces it's clear sailing -- but you'd want an economy vehicle.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,965,224 times
My Mom worked at White Sands Missile Range for 20 years, that was a heck of a drive.. 45 min. as well.. so I guess it can be done. But back then Gas was not as high and her wages were great.. so it was worth it. My grandmother worked there fro 35 years, and they had a car pool.. so the cost was shared.

White Sands is hiring people again.. so look into that.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Commute From Lc To Ep

Thank you so much each of you for responding! Lots to consider, especially with the rising cost of gasoline and having to pay NM income tax on Texas wages! And sadly, I am NOT independently wealthy. SIGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: