Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM

26 posts, read 40,748 times

Advertisements

I need to figure out which science class I'm going to take. Which is easier, physics or chemistry? I'm pretty bad at science, so I just want to take the class that will be easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
At what level? High school? Real physics requires a lot of math that many students don't have, so it's simplified.

At the college level, physics it definitely harder.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM

26 posts, read 40,748 times
^High school.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
I need to figure out which science class I'm going to take. Which is easier, physics or chemistry? I'm pretty bad at science, so I just want to take the class that will be easier.
Personally, I think physics is the easier of the two but it involves a lot of math (so does chemistry but not as much). Physics involves, for the most part, things you can see and watch happen. You can feel them. Experience them. Chemistry involves an atomic world you have to be able to visualize and model to understand and if you can't do that, you're left simply blindly following instructions that you really won't understand.

If you're decent in math, I'd take physics. You will be solving a lot of algebraic equations (unless it's a calc based physics course which is actually easier because you'll find many equations are just derivatives of other equations). You'll see the same concepts repeated in different contexts during the year. For example, you'll learn linear motion then circular motion and you'll find that the equations and concepts are similar. Physics labs are also easier to understand and, as a result, easier to write about.

I just saw the post about this being high school. If you're not good at math going into physics, you will be coming out. Just be prepared to do a lot of example problems. Also, find out if the teacher requires you to memorize equations. If so, make sure you're up to the task. I always let my students use an equation sheet I made up for tests.

Chemistry builds on itself in ways physics does not. Each section in physics can stand alone. In chemistry, if you don't get writing formulas, you can't write and balance equations, if you can't write and balance equations, you can't do stoichiometry (the hardest section of chemistry). Being able to visualize the atomic world is a plus in chemistry but I find most high school students can't. I can outright tell them how things are related and they just look at me like deer caught in headlights. Most of my students resort to guessing when I ask theoretical questions. I found that even my worst physics students (usually couldn't handle the math) seemed to grasp the concepts. IMO, if you're looking at doing equally poorly in either, you'll likely learn more in physics. Also, many people consider physics harder so a lower grade isn't so bad. IMO, chemistry is the hard one to understand and you don't get the kind of repetition you get in physics. I find grades tank third quarter in chemistry. That's about the time they start going up in physics.

Since you have time to decide, I'm going to recommend that you go to www.learner.org and view some of the physics and chemistry videos (under the science tab - I believe the physics series (this is a college series so don't panic) is called "The mechanical Universe" and the chemistry one "The world of chemistry"). Students see more value in physics because they see it every day. When I taught physics I started with a lecture on the first day explaining how my students have been doing and experiencing physics since they were born. Just learning how to balance your head as a baby involved physics. You know that when you drop things they fall. You know how a lever works. You know how wheels work....physics is studying a world you already know. IMO, that makes it the easier of the two provided you can handle the math.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-24-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
I agree physics is easier, but I love math.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
If it's algebra/trig based physics, then I find that much easier than general chemistry. Of course a lot of this also depends on the instructor and whether or not the class is for science majors or non-majors. I found organic chemistry much easier than general chem, but I think I'm in the minority there (plus general chem is usually a prereq for organic)

Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
You also need to be a good speller to handle Chemistry. Using an 'I' instead of an 'E' can change the entire compound.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 AM

467 posts, read 713,423 times
If it's High School, it's more the teacher than the class to be honest. If it's not AP, they're both easily doable. The teacher is make or break for me. Just my opinion.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I vote for Physics being easier than Chemistry but that's just me.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
At our high school, you can't take physics unless you completed chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education