Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,542 times

Advertisements

10 week old golden retreiver. He's only interested in chewing things and nothing else. especially his leash and it makes for a tough walk. how do you train such a young dog or do you just live with it for now. it's very tiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I would put the collar up high on my JR's neck and then hold the leash so he couldn't get it. Of course, when they are young chewing seems to be the only thing they really like to do.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
Talking to them just like little toddlers/children has always worked wonders for us. A firm "NO", along with a <gasp> for good effect in repetition did it. An almost-crying "<Gasp!> What did you DO?!...this is bad, no" over & over while pointing at it always put ours on a good guilt trip. Act sad, too. They are sensitive to our moods & expressions. Stop in your tracks and do the "NO." when you're walking him and he does it. Congratulate him "Good!" when he's being good at it.
And be very enthusiastic in encouraging him with chew-toys. The more you point out "Good Thing, Bad Thing", the better.

Objects misted with diluted vinegar via spray bottle should also deter him.
Biggest thing, though, is that "spanking" a dog in any way merely confuses them. It's all in the tone of the voice, and gestures, with dogs. Firm and serious, while not screaming, is most effective. Screaming. like spanking, would accomplish absolutely nothing (aside from making him skittish.)
Of course, some dogs may go through their chew-phase longer than others. But with time and patience, you'll have a great dog and it'll all be worth it :>)

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-07-2007 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM

409 posts, read 2,783,542 times
thanks for all the advise. getting older the patience dulls and i want things fixed quick. he's absolutely adorable, looks like that panda on tv. He is the cousin of the one recently put to rest. just love animals. every bad story i hear is so unbelievable to me.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,870 times
Mimosa,

You might want to read my thread titled, "Arrgh! Does anyone want a chocolate lab puppy!" It's not too far down.

I received some great advice centered around tiring the puppy out so it's not interested in chewing.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,896 times
As far as the leash goes.... you could try a metal chain one. They don't seem to like the metal as much. Just give him plenty of toys that he CAN chew. Also, hard bones are GREAT. If you catch him with something he shouldn't have, say "NO", then replace the item with a toy that he is allowed to chew.
It's like having a toddler for a while, it gets easier though.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 PM

302 posts, read 1,444,171 times
I have to agree with travel'r. treating them to the gasps and NO's usually gets their attention. make sure everyone is consistent tho. sometimes one person allows what another doesnt and confuses them.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,754 times
My dog is a chewer but I have redirected her chewing. First, I walk her a lot, dogs chew because they are bored. Then I give her things that are okay to chew on. She gets lots a bones, and she still chews but rarely does she chew my stuff anymore.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs