Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times

Advertisements

Jazz has a beautiful double coat where the undercoat is so very thick and soft. In October she had a big triange shaved on the front of her chest for the surgery to remove the large nerve sheath sarcoma. That was Oct here it is almost the end of Feb and the only hair that has grown back is a line of the undercoat that follows the actual incision line, The rest remains bald!

I spoke to a young groomer today and she told me that in dogs with double coats like hers especially when they are older ( Jazz will be 13 in May)you want to avoid shaving them down as sometimes the hair will not grow back anyone else have this problem or heard this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,677 times
Yes, one of my dogs experienced this. It is called post-clipping alopecia and it is most common in northern breeds when the hair is shaved off to the skin. It can take up to a year for the guard hair to regrow. In my dog, the shaved patch grew in darker in color than the rest of his coat. My dog was 12 the first time it happened when his leg was shaved for a surgical procedure. I was told that no one really knows why the hair fails to regrow normally.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,714,120 times
I would agree. I wouldn't shave my double coated dog. For surgery I know it'd have to be done though.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 325,755 times
This happened to my old dog too, it took FOREVER for his shaved hair to grow back. But he is 14, blind, and deaf so I figure a little bald spot is the least of his problems!!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Our 13 year old has a bald spot on his tail where he lost hair. It's been a year so we've lost hope it will fill in.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
It is called post-clipping alopecia and it is most common in northern breeds when the hair is shaved off to the skin.

My 7-year-old Siberian Husky had a procedure last October that required him to be anesthetized. They shaved the fur on his foreleg so they could run the IV line. Afterwards, I had the worst experience with the fur growing back. The whole area was about 3 inches probably, on the front of his leg and also a bit around to the outside. The "outside" part grew back immediatley, but the part on the front just wouldn't, and his skin looked terrible. I had to use YUK! ointment and some other things to keep him from licking it and creating a hot-spot, and it took probably a good 2 months for there to be a good coverage of hair. He's had other "shaved spots" (due to medical procedures) in the past, and the hair always grew back more quickly. So maybe the slow-growth this time was due to his age.

As for shaving a double-coated dog...my understanding is that you're not supposed to do this because it messes up the coat's cooling system. I don't know about all dogs, of course, but the literature on Sibes says that the undercoat they blow and then grow for the summer helps keep them cool, just as the one they grow for the winter helps keep them warm, and shaving that coat messes that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs