Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times

Advertisements

While all of you are fighting about the good & bad about pit bulls...have any of you gave any thoughts about helping Vickys dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 AM

562 posts, read 660,487 times
Too bad about all those dogs. I have a Pit Bull and she's a great pet and we never have problems with her. She's very loving and she even tries to be a mother to kittens when our cat has some. Pit Bulls are all in how you raise them.
There are Pit Bull groups which take in the dogs and then will adopt them out to responsible owners. I am sure there are people already on it who are a part of those groups?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,275,975 times
Yes. And I'm sorry, that's all that can be said at the present time - there are rescues working within the legal system to help. Unfortunately, it is not known at this time whether the Vick dogs will be salvageable. The ones that were the most likely to be salvaged were brutally killed. From here it will require animal behaviorists, lawyers, and people willing to go the extra mile to see what, if anything, can be done.....but in answer to your question, Torrey, yes - there are groups working 'round the clock. Katie, get your mad off - some of those who are arguing the APBT point are the same ones in the trenches.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,262 times
I have gotten many cross posts regarding the HSUS wanting to help the dogs from the Vick case. Yea, right, these people are right up there with PETA wanting to end pet ownership altogether! They are a group that will never get anything from me. The Vick dogs will be helped, if they are able to be helped, especially since it's such a high profile case.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
I have gotten many cross posts regarding the HSUS wanting to help the dogs from the Vick case. Yea, right, these people are right up there with PETA wanting to end pet ownership altogether! They are a group that will never get anything from me. The Vick dogs will be helped, if they are able to be helped, especially since it's such a high profile case.
Let's separate something out, though - I am with you, the HSUS will not get a penny from me, they are lobbyists...donating to your LOCAL humane society keeps the money where it should be, as that shelter may not be associated with the HSUS.

Sharon, you make a good point - but let's not forget, the Vick dogs are the only ones being discussed right now -but in every state this is going on daily. Don't get so distracted by the Vick case that you forget to look in your own back yard. This is very much an underground, hidden atrocity that is EVERYWHERE...be aware of your neighbors who have large quantities of dogs coming and going, work with your local shelter, be available (and informed) to assist with a rescue operation if needed. I can assure you - this is coming to a theater near you in the future.....everyone can help that is a pet lover, if nothing more than with education, fundraising, and vigilant observation and assistance if needed. No rookies needed on an endeavor such as this - but align yourself with a rescue if you are passionate about animal rights and find out what they stand for and their creed. You can make a world of difference one dog at a time.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
They just busted a local dog fighting ring here in IL. So it is everywhere. Hopefully this means a crackdown across the U.S. This is one of the most disgusting things ever and should not be tolerated.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
In many cases its just too hard / risky to rehome a fighting dog.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,262 times
Oh, I know it's everywhere! I am always on my guard lest somebody try to steal one of my precious boys for "practice" (I have 3 large friendly dogs). Especially here in a large southern Metro area. And I have also been active with local rescue for quite some time, though less these days as I attend to my own, plus try to run my business. Rescue burnout rates are very high.

It really upsets me when you hear about high profile cases, they get people's blood boiling and there are renewed promises to do something. The thugs lie low for a while. But then the passion dies down and the criminals are at it again. The really worst part is that there are so many people out there that think that's there's nothing wrong with dogfighting, they'll say it's no worse than hunting, which is legal. Well, preaching to the choir here, I know. I gotta go walk some dogs.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
In many cases its just too hard / risky to rehome a fighting dog.
Absolutely - and therein lies another tragedy...these dogs will pay with their very lives for a creation NOT of their making, but of a human's making...while everyone screams for rehab for the Vick dogs, it may simply be unattainable. Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to relieve a dog of it's demons that some jackass human created and let that dog run free at the Bridge...it's heartbreaking and it's sad and it's maddening - and sometimes it is the right, good, and moral thing to do in the best interests of the dog and the community. Sad but true...very sad, but very true.

Thank you, Brian and Sharon and all those who care and who understand rescue can't always be rehab. We try, but we don't always win.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Its a battle lost, but ill keep on fighting the good fight. We just have to continue to talk to people when they ask about your 'dangerous' dog you have. Some people do listen, and in person it can be easy to change minds. Keep up the good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs