Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 12,576 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Priscilla. I am a 43 year old single, black mom. After staying in St. Louis, MO all my life except for 7 years of staying in Jefferson City, MO and one year of staying in South Bend, IN, I decided that it was time for a change and decided to move to Columbus, GA. I have a cousin that stays in Atlanta but I didn't want to stay there. I have a 14 year old daughter coming with me as well as my 21 year old with her 5 year old son, so schools are important. I have worked as a CNA for about 18 years and plan to continue in that field until Iim done with school. I'm moving for personal reasons... I have read some posts on here that were kinda old but very negitave about columbus Georgia and I would like to read somthing of this year. In the meantime I'm transfering my licence and looking for a house to rent and would like some info on jobs and housing. I don't think I will have a job before I get there so rent above 600 a month will be too much. Hopefully my 21 year old will. We plan on visiting the first part of February and plan on moving by March...if everything goes as planned. Any I formation would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:07 PM

286 posts, read 437,993 times
Hello I already know what the columbus posters are going to say to you.There going to say stay in north columbus stay right above some exit near macon road and this is right and there is a reason behind this. Don't get me wrong Columbus is my hometown but crime is bad over there really bad the crime rates are out the roof.So Im going to help you out try Phenix city alabama it's a bedroom city next to Columbus ga right across the river in alabama crime is low here compared to columbus and taxes are somewhat cheap here compared to georgia as well.Most people in Phenix city work and shop in Columbus because it's the biggest city nearby and in western georgia. Everytime I read the ledger newspaper or watch the local news it's always some crime over there.Sure Phenix city has crime too but it's crime rate is much lower compared to Columbus. Try Phenix city you will not regret it. Live in Phenix city work and shop in Columbus. I recently just moved to phenix city myself from columbus because I got tired of the crime and someone tried to break into my car and tried to get into my shed from my last house I lived in columbus. I lived near buena vista road in columbus.

Columbus ga crime can be compared to albany georgia's crime.But the bad thing about albany ga is it's not even near the size of columbus population and has bad crime on the same level of columbus. The difference between columbus crime and albany crime is that albany's crime is caused due to poverty and columbus crime is due too people not wanting to get a job and would rather still peoples things or commit crimes. Columbus is blessed too be home to some very big 500 fortune companys. On the other hand albany ga doesn't really have many 500 fortune company's or any good paying jobs that's why crime is so bad there due to poverty.Columbus ga does have poverty too but we do have 500 fortune company's here with good paying jobs too help relieve the poverty level in our area

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 12-26-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Thank you! That helps slot.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Is the crime in Columbus bad like here in St. Louis? All I hear all night long are sirens and if I can help it I don't go out after dark...especially with the bs going on with the Micheal brown shooting and the heavy police presence. I'm tired of being harassed and scared among other things.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzPriss2443 View Post
Is the crime in Columbus bad like here in St. Louis? All I hear all night long are sirens and if I can help it I don't go out after dark...especially with the bs going on with the Micheal brown shooting and the heavy police presence. I'm tired of being harassed and scared among other things.
yes somewhat I've heard some people compare columbus ga crime to detroit michigan crime don't know how true this is but it's what I've heard. On the other hand north columbus is very nice and quiet but it's expensive. I know there is a alot of racism going on right now in missouri but you don't have that much racism in columbus as you do in missouri. The whites and blacks in columbus get along very well were like family.

The Majority of the crimes in columbus are murders and robbery but it's not due to racism. Robberies being the worst and murders being the second worst. and every once in a while your have rapes and arson like any other city. But columbus crime rates are way above the average level.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 12-26-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
yes somewhat I've heard some people compare columbus ga crime to detroit michigan crime don't know how true this is but it's what I've heard. On the other hand north columbus is very nice and quiet but it's expensive. I know there is a alot of racism going on right now in missouri but you don't have that much racism in columbus as you do in missouri. The whites and blacks in columbus get along very well were like family.

The Majority of the crimes in columbus are murders and robbery. Robberies being the worst and murders being the second worst. and every once in a while your have rapes and arson like any other city. But columbus crime rates are way above the average level.
I find it incredible the amount of crime I hear is happening here in Columbus, when it generally seems so quiet and peaceful to me.

Perhaps it depends on the places I frequent are more peaceful and quiet... although I'm likely to be in just about every side of town from time-to-time, all the way from Oakland Park to Windsor Park.

The fact is, I feel, that crime can happen anywhere at any time... or not happen there.

Completely random, just like a bad lottery, you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person there... and the crime happens.

There's crime in the north, crime in the south. And then... sometimes there is not.

Just my perspective on the situation.

Keep aware, alert, and if possible (I know not everyone is "blessed" with this ability) put across the image, though friendly, that you are not the person they want to try and mess with.

Rob me? Heck, I wanna rob /you/!

Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzPriss2443 View Post
Hi my name is Priscilla. I am a 43 year old single, black mom. After staying in St. Louis, MO all my life except for 7 years of staying in Jefferson City, MO and one year of staying in South Bend, IN, I decided that it was time for a change and decided to move to Columbus, GA. I have a cousin that stays in Atlanta but I didn't want to stay there. I have a 14 year old daughter coming with me as well as my 21 year old with her 5 year old son, so schools are important. I have worked as a CNA for about 18 years and plan to continue in that field until Iim done with school. I'm moving for personal reasons... I have read some posts on here that were kinda old but very negitave about columbus Georgia and I would like to read somthing of this year. In the meantime I'm transfering my licence and looking for a house to rent and would like some info on jobs and housing. I don't think I will have a job before I get there so rent above 600 a month will be too much. Hopefully my 21 year old will. We plan on visiting the first part of February and plan on moving by March...if everything goes as planned. Any I formation would be greatly appreciated.
And I read in your post about you going to school. Columbus ga has a good variety of colleges here to choose from and we have descent hostipals as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I find it incredible the amount of crime I hear is happening here in Columbus, when it generally seems so quiet and peaceful to me.

Perhaps it depends on the places I frequent are more peaceful and quiet... although I'm likely to be in just about every side of town from time-to-time, all the way from Oakland Park to Windsor Park.

The fact is, I feel, that crime can happen anywhere at any time... or not happen there.

Completely random, just like a bad lottery, you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person there... and the crime happens.

There's crime in the north, crime in the south. And then... sometimes there is not.

Just my perspective on the situation.

Keep aware, alert, and if possible (I know not everyone is "blessed" with this ability) put across the image, though friendly, that you are not the person they want to try and mess with.

Rob me? Heck, I wanna rob /you/!
I agree it is weird but I guess the worst area's of crime are on the southside. And it depends on what parts of the city you live in is where the crime could be worst or quiet.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:56 PM

I understand that crime is everywhere and I feel that being a native St. Louisa that if I can live here and survive I can probably live just about anywhere. It is refreshing to know that I will not have to deal with so much racism like here but once again...I survived. I need a change of scenery and a better environment for me and my daughters and especially my grandson.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:57 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
I agree it is weird but I guess the worst area's of crime are on the southside. And it depends on what parts of the city you live in is where the crime could be worst or quiet.
Yes, I spend a lot of time on the Southside my band has our rehearsal space down in Oakland Park.

Just mighty lucky I have missed any personal contact with crime, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA