Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 AM

29 posts, read 41,720 times

Advertisements

7. Columbus, Ga.-Ala.
> Well-Being Index score: 62.3
> Pct. adults with college degree: 21.9%
> Pct. smokers: 27.4%
> Median household income: $42,972

Columbus area residents were among the most depressed in the country. Roughly 24% said they had been told by a physician or nurse that they suffered from depression, one of the highest percentages in the country. As much as 19% of people surveyed said that they had not experienced enjoyment within the past 24 hours, the seventh-highest percentage among cities surveyed. A large portion of the residents, roughly 23%, did not like the city in which they lived, also one of the highest rates in the Well-Being Index. A lack of access to basic needs, for which Columbus was rated among the worst in the nation, can also explain the residents’ unhappiness. The area ranked last, for example, in having easy access to medicine. And just 67% of respondents said they had enough money to buy food at all times last year, also the least nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 AM

286 posts, read 438,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john7448 View Post
7. Columbus, Ga.-Ala.
> Well-Being Index score: 62.3
> Pct. adults with college degree: 21.9%
> Pct. smokers: 27.4%
> Median household income: $42,972

Columbus area residents were among the most depressed in the country. Roughly 24% said they had been told by a physician or nurse that they suffered from depression, one of the highest percentages in the country. As much as 19% of people surveyed said that they had not experienced enjoyment within the past 24 hours, the seventh-highest percentage among cities surveyed. A large portion of the residents, roughly 23%, did not like the city in which they lived, also one of the highest rates in the Well-Being Index. A lack of access to basic needs, for which Columbus was rated among the worst in the nation, can also explain the residents’ unhappiness. The area ranked last, for example, in having easy access to medicine. And just 67% of respondents said they had enough money to buy food at all times last year, also the least nationwide.

See there you go again with your bad mouthing Columbus. I can not see how Columbus is the most depressed in the country and especially in georgia. Know defense to a georgia city that im fixing to name but this city is worst off then Columbus.And that city is Albany ga the poverty rate there is higher and crime and the jobless rate is higher so that probably means it's the most depressed. So please tell me how Columbus ranked the worst in the country when Columbus has billion dollar 500 fortune companies located in the city. I think who ever done this survey was a moron. Like I said I have family who just recently moved to Albany from Columbus and they said they wish they would have just stayed put in Columbus.Because Columbus does have a little more to offer then Albany. But Im not going to let this stupid survey get to me because I know columbus has a lot more to offer then some other georgia cities.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 12-28-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM

967 posts, read 1,077,210 times
I'll add that this is the same thing that was posted about and discussed quite a bit about 9 months ago.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I'll add that this is the same thing that was posted about and discussed quite a bit about 9 months ago.
Yeah I knew and probably figured his information and facts were probably about a year old if he continues too assault us im going to have to report him to the moderators.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 AM

97 posts, read 134,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
See there you go again with your bad mouthing Columbus. I can not see how Columbus is the most depressed in the country and especially in georgia. Know defense to a georgia city that im fixing to name but this city is worst off then Columbus.And that city is Albany ga the poverty rate there is higher and crime and the jobless rate is higher so that probably means it's the most depressed. So please tell me how Columbus ranked the worst in the country when Columbus has billion dollar 500 fortune companies located in the city. I think who ever done this survey was a moron. Like I said I have family who just recently moved to Albany from Columbus and they said they wish they would have just stayed put in Columbus.Because Columbus does have a little more to offer then Albany. But Im not going to let this stupid survey get to me because I know columbus has a lot more to offer then some other georgia cities.

columbusmetro89

Please take an extra minute to edit your posts. It is VERY difficult to read and understand what you are trying to say. It honestly just makes you look bad.

I do understand the point you are trying to get across, but I guess everyone has a different opinion about everything. Sure I am considered middle-class, have access to everything I need, my kids are provided for, and I am happy with my life. But how many people live in a worse situation than me? Access to food and medicine are limited, housing is inadequate, families are unhappy (or make the best with what they have). Do you think this could cause depression to be high? Or maybe military families who have lost soldiers or are living apart from their families because of the military? Possibly depressed?

Do you think they would rate the city any differently than I would? Is it the city's fault? Is it the surveyor's fault?

Columbus may be home to Fortune 500 companies, but that doesn't help people who either don't work or can't work there. Every city has their own problems. This survey doesn't say anything about Albany. Maybe they didn't even survey them? But it does bring to light some of the divide in Columbus, and more than likely every other city in the world.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admedlin View Post
columbusmetro89

Please take an extra minute to edit your posts. It is VERY difficult to read and understand what you are trying to say. It honestly just makes you look bad.

I do understand the point you are trying to get across, but I guess everyone has a different opinion about everything. Sure I am considered middle-class, have access to everything I need, my kids are provided for, and I am happy with my life. But how many people live in a worse situation than me? Access to food and medicine are limited, housing is inadequate, families are unhappy (or make the best with what they have). Do you think this could cause depression to be high? Or maybe military families who have lost soldiers or are living apart from their families because of the military? Possibly depressed?

Do you think they would rate the city any differently than I would? Is it the city's fault? Is it the surveyor's fault?

Columbus may be home to Fortune 500 companies, but that doesn't help people who either don't work or can't work there. Every city has their own problems. This survey doesn't say anything about Albany. Maybe they didn't even survey them? But it does bring to light some of the divide in Columbus, and more than likely every other city in the world.
Your the one of doesn't make any sense when you say Columbus maybe home to fortune 500 companies but that doesn't help people who either don't work or can't work here.Hello open your eyes there jobs it gives people an opportunity too work for a fortune 500 company and then slowly work there way up too a higher position in the company.I figured with you being from Columbus you would take my side and agree but im not going to argue with you about it. And the reason why I brought up Albany is because to let this other outsiders know that there is other georgia cities worst off then Columbus. Let me ask you something would you want your city bashed on about it being the the 7th lowest in the nation for human development. And also being the brokest city in america thats embarrassing. And let me tell you something you sitting here complaining about my writing and posting saying I need to edit it better I have a learning disability that throws me off and plus im a high school drop out because of reasons so I didn't take the proper english all the way threw that's why I don't know how to wright out a sentence the correct way and put the right punctuation's so just overlook that. But I do know what im talking about though im not stupid. I do have valuable points.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,433,943 times
Sorry, can't overlook grammar. It's how you present yourself... in person, you can shower, shave, and put on nice clothes to portray an image of competency/education. Online, you only have words and punctuation. What you've done above is akin to walking into a professional office (lawyer, banker, etc..) and finding the person smelling badly, in a wife beater with stains at the pits, Cheetos wipe marks on the belly and ripped up sweats for pants. Impossible to take as serious, much less educated.

Just being a high school dropout isn't a good excuse. Writing is something anyone can improve upon at any time in their life for a cost of time, and time only.

Anyway, carry on with the main topic at hand. Being upset about something someone else said and has no bearing on life in the least...

Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 AM

515 posts, read 633,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
Your the one of doesn't make any sense when you say Columbus maybe home to fortune 500 companies but that doesn't help people who either don't work or can't work here.Hello open your eyes there jobs it gives people an opportunity too work for a fortune 500 company and then slowly work there way up too a higher position in the company.I figured with you being from Columbus you would take my side and agree but im not going to argue with you about it. And the reason why I brought up Albany is because to let this other outsiders know that there is other georgia cities worst off then Columbus. Let me ask you something would you want your city bashed on about it being the the 7th lowest in the nation for human development. And also being the brokest city in america thats embarrassing. And let me tell you something you sitting here complaining about my writing and posting saying I need to edit it better I have a learning disability that throws me off and plus im a high school drop out because of reasons so I didn't take the proper english all the way threw that's why I don't know how to wright out a sentence the correct way and put the right punctuation's so just overlook that. But I do know what im talking about though im not stupid. I do have valuable points.
Read the first two sentences of your post, and there's no need to continue. Bad grammar does make you look bad. I don't see how you can even try to argue with that.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:03 AM

515 posts, read 633,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admedlin View Post
columbusmetro89

These are all great points. I would give you +1, but I have to spread some around first.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
Read the first two sentences of your post, and there's no need to continue. Bad grammar does make you look bad. I don't see how you can even try to argue with that.
So I don't care im just here to support our area not argue with people about grammar. For now on im just going to comment on good positive things coming about happening in Columbus and Phenix city. I don't have time for negative people. I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I never had to work a day in my life because I have a wealthy family I guess that's why my grammar is so bad too. good bye folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA