Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:24 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd throw a thread on here for discussions of the various state initiatives. Listed below are the titles and descriptions.

Ammendment E: Property tax deduction for spouses of veterans
Prop FF: Healthy School meals by income tax on those over 300K
Prop GG: Tax Tables on Ballots in the future
Prop 121: Income Tax Reduction from 4.55% to 4.40%
Prop 122: Shrooms and Cacti
Prop 123: TABOR refund towards affordable housing
Prop 124: Increase liquor store permits
Prop 125: Selling wine in grocery and convinience stores
Prop 126: Delivery for alcohol

Feel free to add any juicy local initiatives!

Last edited by Phil P; 10-17-2022 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 09:38 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
And here's my $.02 on the intitatives.

Ammendment E: No. It'd be a pain in the butt to define who gets what and veterans already have so many programs. Not worthwhile jamming up the tax code with niche exemptions like this.

Prop FF: Yes. Simple thought here is why spend so much money on teaching and programs if kids aren't in a good pschycological state to learn because their blood sugar is spiking or crashing. My parents are voting no lol. But going to high school in CO, the meals really weren't that healthy. Mom and dad didn't always pack because I could make my own sandwhich, which I never did. I just had Triscuits in my backpack. To this day I can't stand turkey lunch meat.

Prop GG: Eh, likely no. The ballots are too long already.

Prop 121: No. CO is already in the bottom 25 of states for total tax burden and the state has a bad habit of defunding things like street lights or roads to make a budget fit.

Prop 122: Yes. Gen Z doesn't do alcohol, cacti is the next wave. All the yoga ladies in Georgia already microdose shrooms and we can't let GA pass up CO.

Prop 123: IDK, convince me city data.

Prop 124: No, cause prop 125 should be yes.

Prop 125: Yes. Make the strip mall landlords squeem. Seriously why not.

Prop 126: Leaning no. People who routinely get delivery are already slightly challenged in the pre frontal cortex and I could see where binge ordering could be a problem. It might keep drunk people off the road, but generally the order would precede the drunkeness. I think the potential increase in alcohol consumption is worse than a theoretical reduction in drunk driving.

Selling weed in El Paso County: Jeez, whoever owns Maggies farm is fighting this tooth and nail. Get with it El Paso County. You can get delta 8 gummies in Alabama gas stations...

Old 10-18-2022, 07:25 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I haven’t yet received my ballot, so I haven’t read much about these yet to have an opinion on many of them.

I am concerned about 122 in the regard that I was here for “medical marijuana” and that was a complete and total joke. I remember the “dispensaries” that advertised DOCTOR ON SITE, in which you could go in, tell them that you have chronic headaches, and walk out with a red card (I have friends who did this). To me, that was a complete and total joke, never meant to be taken seriously since it was more of a “nudge nudge, wink wink” kind of thing, and in my opinion was just a pathway to full legalization for everyone.

So now for shrooms and whatnot, I’d have to know more about how this would be implemented … or would it be just as ridiculous as how MMJ was introduced? I’m on board with allowing people to try psychedelics for medical reasons, but interested to know more about the ‘how’ it would be carried out.

In terms of FF, I’m a “no.” Low income families already have access to free and reduced lunches, so I’m not sure why we need to subsidize those who can afford it.

The rest of them … not sure yet.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:11 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Prop 121 - I'm voting yes on this. Polis' recent Tabor refund of a flat $750 was inherently unfair. It was an income redistribution scheme, not a refund. The refund should have been proportional to the taxes each of us paid. Lowering the tax rate will help prevent this nonsense in the future. Though CO may be in the bottom 25 in income tax rate, they make up for it in other ways, such as the motor vehicle property tax, which is on the high end among the states.

Last edited by BarryK123; 10-18-2022 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: edited for typo

Old 10-18-2022, 03:47 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Already voted on October 7.
Just waiting for "counting day".

Old 10-19-2022, 05:55 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Already voted on October 7.
Absentee ballot?

Old 10-19-2022, 08:31 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Got our ballets yesterday. We’ll sit down this weekend with a press pot of coffee, research, chat and then fill out our ballots.

Funny story. Last election we went to a local winery and sat at a common table with a group of folks very different than us as told by them. We were discussing our ballot and they joined the conversation as Coloradans are known to sometimes do. No arguing, no cussing, just all of us hearing/listening to both sides. Kinda refreshing.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:47 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Has a Blue Book been sent out for this election? I always like to read their analyses of the issues.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:58 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Has a Blue Book been sent out for this election? I always like to read their analyses of the issues.
We got ours about a month ago. You can see it online here: https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/defau...sh_for_web.pdf

Old 10-19-2022, 12:35 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Based on cursory reading here's my take:

D: Reassigning Judges from the 18th to the 23rd Judicial District. Yes
E: Unsure. It affects fewer than 500 people. leaning no
F: Charitable Gaming Operations. This is the 2nd time it's been on the ballot. No
FF: School lunches. If we're going to spend $100 million on schools, I want it in the classroom, not the lunchroom. No
GG: Tax Information Table to Petitions and Ballots. Pretty sure this is already available in the Blue Book. No
121: Tax rate reduction. Disproportionately skewed to those making > $1 mil/year. If there's an overage, they'll still get a refund. Leaning No
122: Psychadelics. No
123: Affordable housing. Undecided
124: Liquor Store Locations. It's stupid that big box liquor stores are limited to 3 locations statewide. Yes
125: Grocery Store Wine. I know a user on here who thinks it's draconian that he can't get wine at King Soopers - nevermind the fact that he came from a state with dry areas and liquor stores that close at the dumbass time of 9pm (and are closed on Sundays). Yes
126: Alcohol delivery. It's already happening. This just expands the existing rules to include deliveries by third-party vendors. Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado