Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times

Advertisements

US graduates who start their careers underemployed usually stay that way for years, per a new report.

About 73% of graduates who don't find college-level jobs in their first working year stay underemployed 10 years later.

Working in a college-level job gives graduates about a 50% higher salary, the report said.

Your first job after college is crucial to the next 10 years of your career and salary, according to a new joint report by two research firms.

Bachelor's degree holders in the US who finish their first working year while underemployed — in a job that doesn't require their full skills, education, or availability — usually end up staying underemployed. This is according to a report published on Thursday by the Strada Education Foundation and employment data research firm Burning Glass Institute.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/care...rt/ar-BB1iL0Bl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 07:49 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
You have me wondering what "college-level" jobs are.

When I was just out of college, ads had a section for college grads, but they were entry-level office jobs that any high-school teen could do. Looking back, I think that corporations weren't so much requiring an education, but guessing that anyone who had a college degree knew how to show up on time, be well-spoken, and complete an assignment, no matter how trivial.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:16 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
US graduates who start their careers underemployed usually stay that way for years, per a new report.

About 73% of graduates who don't find college-level jobs in their first working year stay underemployed 10 years later.

Working in a college-level job gives graduates about a 50% higher salary, the report said.

Your first job after college is crucial to the next 10 years of your career and salary, according to a new joint report by two research firms.

Bachelor's degree holders in the US who finish their first working year while underemployed — in a job that doesn't require their full skills, education, or availability — usually end up staying underemployed. This is according to a report published on Thursday by the Strada Education Foundation and employment data research firm Burning Glass Institute.

Something these studies never seem to do is look to whether the person is "under" employed or "over" educated. They lump too much together and don't get deep enough to really provide the information that someone could use to make an informed decision.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:17 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You have me wondering what "college-level" jobs are.

When I was just out of college, ads had a section for college grads, but they were entry-level office jobs that any high-school teen could do. Looking back, I think that corporations weren't so much requiring an education, but guessing that anyone who had a college degree knew how to show up on time, be well-spoken, and complete an assignment, no matter how trivial.
Maybe that assumption applied to US universities at one point in time, ... However, it certainly does not apply to universities in an unnamed country that seems to be the main recipient of outsource/offshore jobs.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:25 PM

how colleges create poverty and inequality

People go to college in search of a better life and economic stability. But Sara Goldrick-Rab explains that too often, the new economics of college are creating poverty. Hunger, even homelessness, are holding students back. Higher education finance must be rethought so students aren't punished for pursuing education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSqW43aTuRM

Old 03-17-2024, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:

People go to college in search of a better life and economic stability. ...Higher education finance must be rethought so students aren't punished for pursuing education.
...]
This is America (home of the free)

Consider a very doable American option.

Go get a J-O-B, that is relevant to your chosen major BEFORE heading to college, and make good wages plus have your employer pay for college.

Mine reimbursed me 100% for (5) degrees.

The employer provided excellent learning, growing skills, increased wages, diverse learning opportunities+ many years of paid company travel (including my family). Pretty sweet deal, available to all employees willing to make the commitment to improve their education and value to the company. No retention contract required.

My sis got (5) fully funded medical degrees from the US veterans administration. She was required to serve 5 yrs after her PhDs, but was paid FT, as well as per diem while away at University and residency.

My Dr, got 100% medical loan forgiveness through working in community medicine.

It's actually very popular, and very simple. Or... Go to Europe and attend university for free!

Old 03-17-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Go get a J-O-B, that is relevant to your chosen major BEFORE heading to college, and make good wages plus have your employer pay for college.
that is not always possible

Old 03-18-2024, 05:35 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
that is not always possible
He spins some yarns.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:41 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

People go to college in search of a better life and economic stability. But Sara Goldrick-Rab explains that too often, the new economics of college are creating poverty. Hunger, even homelessness, are holding students back. Higher education finance must be rethought so students aren't punished for pursuing education.
I watched your video and while I agree with her on some points, I think she mixed some apples and oranges into the discussion, so I don't necessarily agree with her conclusion, esp when she included how to vote in that conclusion. And while the emotional appeal of the personal stories grabs attention, I wish she'd included more data. For example, data on how the cost of college has changed over the last 50 years; data on the decreases in state funding for colleges; data on FAFSA and grants/loans.

Like I said, I agree on some of her points, but even the emotional appeals don't support the idea that college causes poverty.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:20 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:

I think a lot of people don't really understand this.

I graduated in 2010 with a double bachelor's in economics and political science. I originally wanted to go to law school, but I had to "pay the bills." I was in a small metro with a bad job market well outside

I ended up working in various IT call centers for four years. I bounced between three different states. In 2013, I worked three different contract jobs, each paying less than the last, none of which had any benefits. Frustrated, I began shotgunning applications to anything and everything I could remotely do.

I got a response from a Boston-based fintech company for a role at their satellite office in Indianapolis. All applicants had to take what was essentially an IQ test. I didn't know it at the time, but only about 10% of the applicants invited to an interview passed that test. If you passed it, you were basically given an offer unless there was some other sort of red flag. I received an offer and took that position.

I was able to build from that. I went from filing on something like $20k-$22k income in 2013 to a $60k job. My income peaked at $100.5k, but it was extremely high stress and long hours. I ended up taking a somewhat lower paying remote government job.

I was single, no kids, and able to move where the jobs were. If I had been married or had kids back then, I'd probably be doing well to be making $20-$25/hr. today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities