Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2023, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 3,986 times

Advertisements

Hi, I help my dad with his stamp collections from time to time. Never really got into it much but my creative background always find the stamp designs intriguing. Love flipping through crazy old catalogs and finding how designers approached layouts from all over the world.

Curious if anyone have discovered ageless and cool stamp designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 02:27 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I started collecting postage stamps as a pre-teen. When we got our weekly allowance every other Saturday, I'd head to the post office and buy some stamps. The hobby continued off-and-on into adulthood. When my dad died, I inherited his collection that none of us knew he kept from his childhood. There are some really old ones in his book.

These days, being retired, I'm way too busy to collect stamps. For the past few decades, the post office has issued too many new stamps. No way I'll collect the "full set". When I die in 10-20 years, one of my nieces or nephews will inherit my, and my dad's, collection. I'd sell it, but they are not worth the time and effort to find a buyer.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-07-2024, 03:42 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Stamp collecting was very popular in the 1950s and 1960s when I started collecting as a kid. I got back into the hobby in the 1990s when I could afford some more valuable stamps. I think it's a hobby that you have to start young or you won't start at all.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:28 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
My father started collecting in the 30s and 40s and continued up until the 80's. I collected in the 60's but lost interest. I recently had to put him in an assisted living facility (he is well into his 90s) and brought the collection over to my house. The collection is huge and much of it hasn't been gone through......which could take a life time!

Old 03-27-2024, 04:19 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
My father started collecting in the 30s and 40s and continued up until the 80's. I collected in the 60's but lost interest. I recently had to put him in an assisted living facility (he is well into his 90s) and brought the collection over to my house. The collection is huge and much of it hasn't been gone through......which could take a life time!
Unfortunately the great majority of stamps issued from the 1940s forward have little monetary value although it can be fun to collect stamps. If you want to see how much the collection is worth look at the oldest stamps and see if you have any of the valuable ones. Old stamps aren't necessarily valuable but they might be. If they are U.S. stamps you can pick up an older "Scott Specialized Catalog" on ebay for about $10-$20, maybe less. You don't need a current edition, a 15 year old catalog is good enough to get an idea of values.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:23 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Just remember that the "real" price of a stamp is about 10% or less of the "Catalog" value.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:34 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I have two stamps. Does that count as a collector, LOL. Being a rebellious sort from the South, I have one of Robert E. Lee, who, according to what it says on the back, was punished by the Union after the war w/ a plum teaching position. The other is of Jefferson Davis, who apparently spent 2 years in jail. Odd that he got jail time and Lee got off scott free. Both are issued by the US Postal Service. I figure in these days of political correctness they may be worth something one day. Not that I care about that. They're just a good barometer of how much things have changed since they were issued.

I used to have one of Elvis until an old girlfriend used it to pay a bill, which is a sad way to see Elvis go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques