Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which system is better now and in the future?
Houston 24 53.33%
Phoenix 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,986,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The one in Phoenix seems to have spurred more mixed use development around the line it has. I don't know of any mixed use TODs along the line in Houston at this point.
The Houston planning commission recently has been reported of a 102 story mixed use tower including hotel, residential, and minor office component. The tower is allegedly between 1,200-1,400 feet. The developer has yet to submit his bid on the tower but is actively in the conceptual phases for it. They're looking to next year for further information on it.

Also, the same source from the Houston planning commission has reported a similar (albeit slightly shorter) deal to be taking place in Dallas too (you can read more about it on Dallas' business journal). About 1.5 million square feet of office space and a few hundred units for residential. The Dallas one will formerly be announced (and bid submitted) when Downtown Dallas lowers its vacancy rate a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Confrimed
*Broadstone Midtown - Apartment
*EaDo Place - 216 Unit Apartment Complex w/ Retail( green line)
*Alliance Downtown 5 Stories 207 Units( will have ground floor reatil on all four sizes
*Midtown Arts Center
*Mid Main — Mixed-Use Development for Midtown (3600 Main
*Marvy Finger] Seven story apartments near ballpark ( greenline)\
* Midtown super park park / new 300 unit apt on main
*Block 436 & 437 9 no formal name yet( not on the rail line but a few blocks from it will be 2 300 unit apts with ground floor retail
*Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites(built across the street from the green line)
*Hyatt Place(built on the same block as Hampton

Rumored
Greenstreet Hotel( main)
Midtown Office Tower( main)
10-Story Resi Building ( Two blocks from main)
You can add a few more on your list. Block 52 in Downtown (28 stories), a 35 story residential highrise in Downtown, another 28 story residential highrise in Downtown by a Chicago developer, another 25 story residential highrise in Downtown by Hines, 28 story residential tower by ZC near the convention district in Downtown, the 38 story tower next to the Texaco building downtown, which that building is also being converted into residential lofts. The 42 story Helix tower in the Museum District (south of Midtown and also on the light rail line). The Southmore in the Museum District by Hines, also 35 stories and along the light rail line. All of these being confirmed projects, already locked on finances and nearly all doing site work, all along the light rail line. Being a skyscraper enthusiast, I'm not going to bother listing the midrises but you've got the big ones on your list already.

Also by the way, the ones you have under your rumor tab aren't rumors anymore like how they were just a few months back. The 10 story highrise as well as Hotel Alessandra (25 stories) for Green Street are official, they've even submitted their bid and have their finances on lock.

By the way, Ritz-Carlton is actively seeking a surface lot along the East End Line in Downtown, near Discovery Green, they'll be building their hotel there. Rumor has it that while they haven't released their blue print yet, it'll match the one they had for BLVD Place in height before the recession killed that off.

Something around 18 surface lots will be given their final rites as they die to development by 2015, from only the projects that's are confirmed of so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,152,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Houston planning commission recently has been reported of a 102 story mixed use tower including hotel, residential, and minor office component. The tower is allegedly between 1,200-1,400 feet. The developer has yet to submit his bid on the tower but is actively in the conceptual phases for it. They're looking to next year for further information on it.

Also, the same source from the Houston planning commission has reported a similar (albeit slightly shorter) deal to be taking place in Dallas too (you can read more about it on Dallas' business journal). About 1.5 million square feet of office space and a few hundred units for residential. The Dallas one will formerly be announced (and bid submitted) when Downtown Dallas lowers its vacancy rate a little more.

You can add a few more on your list. Block 52 in Downtown (28 stories), a 35 story residential highrise in Downtown, another 28 story residential highrise in Downtown by a Chicago developer, another 25 story residential highrise in Downtown by Hines, 28 story residential tower by ZC near the convention district in Downtown, the 38 story tower next to the Texaco building downtown, which that building is also being converted into residential lofts. The 42 story Helix tower in the Museum District (south of Midtown and also on the light rail line). The Southmore in the Museum District by Hines, also 35 stories and along the light rail line. All of these being confirmed projects, already locked on finances and nearly all doing site work, all along the light rail line. Being a skyscraper enthusiast, I'm not going to bother listing the midrises but you've got the big ones on your list already.

Also by the way, the ones you have under your rumor tab aren't rumors anymore like how they were just a few months back. The 10 story highrise as well as Hotel Alessandra (25 stories) for Green Street are official, they've even submitted their bid and have their finances on lock.

By the way, Ritz-Carlton is actively seeking a surface lot along the East End Line in Downtown, near Discovery Green, they'll be building their hotel there. Rumor has it that while they haven't released their blue print yet, it'll match the one they had for BLVD Place in height before the recession killed that off.

Something around 18 surface lots will be given their final rites as they die to development by 2015, from only the projects that's are confirmed of so far.
I hand forgot that Green St said they would be making a big annoucment in a few weeks, many belive it will be the hotel...

I did not know the 102 story was that far along, thought it was still in the talked about stage

Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I hand forgot that Green St said they would be making a big annoucment in a few weeks, many belive it will be the hotel...

I did not know the 102 story was that far along, thought it was still in the talked about stage
You got it right, it's still in the discussion phase. They're waiting until next year to negotiate the tax increments Downtown with city hall and formally submitting their bid to the planning commission, if that's the route they want to go with their development.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Anniese Parker (Houston mayor) but her involvement with Downtown Houston in the second half of 2013 has been nothing short of stellar.

The east side of Downtown along Discovery Green is no longer barren and dead, they've got a lot going on between Discovery Green and Market Square. I went to a Korean Festival there, just not to long ago, their agenda is packed Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Also the Phoenicia Grocery store at One Park Place has an awesome deli.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,152,565 times
Quote:
You got it right, it's still in the discussion phase. They're waiting until next year to negotiate the tax increments Downtown with city hall and formally submitting their bid to the planning commission, if that's the route they want to go with their development.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Anniese Parker (Houston mayor) but her involvement with Downtown Houston in the second half of 2013 has been nothing short of stellar.

The east side of Downtown along Discovery Green is no longer barren and dead, they've got a lot going on between Discovery Green and Market Square. I went to a Korean Festival there, just not to long ago, their agenda is packed Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Also the Phoenicia Grocery store at One Park Place has an awesome deli.
I am gald to see a active refocus on DT as well, it long over due... The only thing that bothers me is a concise retail district. While I doubt DT will ever be able to match Uptown, It could still do way better than what it is doing. However with all these apts going up DT can not make a case to retail owner that now is the time to invest in DT.

To bring this back in line with the forum.. I am still waiting to see what the effects of oulson no longer fighting fedral funding for the Uptown line wil have on the BRT plans.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 PM

110 posts, read 145,510 times
Any renderings for the 102 story tower?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable3 View Post
Any renderings for the 102 story tower?
Not yet, like the Seattle and Dallas supertalls to be, this one is also in it's infancy stage. Next year there will be more physical details and a possible first conceptual rendering.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
The hotel at green street is suppose to be hotel Alessandra. That makes 5 new hotels to downtown between 2014-2016. A ritz is rumored as well close to one of the light rail lines in downtown. Development is actually starting to happen around these lines now.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 AM

146 posts, read 353,213 times
Red John, do you have a good source of where your getting your info? Some of the info on the rumored supertall for Houston is new to me.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannnizer View Post
Red John, do you have a good source of where your getting your info? Some of the info on the rumored supertall for Houston is new to me.
Yeah, information sent to your inbox.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 PM

6,719 posts, read 9,968,790 times
Quote:

There's a planned supertall in Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City