Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM

74 posts, read 233,327 times

Advertisements

Ex. :

Cities:
1. Oklahoma City, OK
2. Huntsville, AL
3. Topeka, KS
4. Tulsa, OK
5. Shreveport, LA
6. Nashville, TN
7. Wichita Falls, TX
8. Wichita, KS
9. Birmingham, AL
10. Lincoln, NE

States:
1. Kansas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. Nebraska
6. Arkansas
7. Iowa
8. Louisiana
9. Missouri
10. Indiana

Or you can do top 5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM

73 posts, read 148,593 times
Kansas city missouri

oh and you forgot ?reasons?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times
Kansas City
Oklahoma City/Tulsa
Huntsville
Dallas/Fort Worth
Wichita
etc
etc
etc (name any other tornado alley metropolitan area)

I live in DFW and we are right on the southern edge of tornado alley. Typically, there are many tornadoes in the area each year but they are generally quite weak and only affect certain neighborhoods and locales. It seems like we are due in for a big one at some point so hopefully that won't be while im living here
That being said, I LOVE thunderstorms and tornadoes as long as they dont cause extensive damage or ANY loss of life. One of the most exciting parts about Texas in my opinion

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Anywhere in Tornado Alley is the most Tornado prone haha

1. ALABAMA for sure (at least recently)
2. Kansas
3. Oklahoma
4. Arkansas?
5. Missouri?

Cities would correspond with the states.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
While MO and KS are tornado country, it seems like the big metro areas are less prone to them and when they do hit Kansas City or St Louis, they tend to be smaller and skim across the outer suburbs bouncing around and not staying on the ground. I have heard it has something to do with the heat, topography etc.

Still, one of these days, an F5 is going to plow through and stay on the ground all the way across a major metro like StL, KC, Dallas etc and cause billions in damage and kill 1000's. It's probably just a matter of time.

Joplin is basically the size of a mid sized suburb of KC, so you can imagine what a tornado would do if a large one ever stayed on the ground for a long period in a major metro.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
While MO and KS are tornado country, it seems like the big metro areas are less prone to them and when they do hit Kansas City or St Louis, they tend to be smaller and skim across the outer suburbs bouncing around and not staying on the ground. I have heard it has something to do with the heat, topography etc.

Still, one of these days, an F5 is going to plow through and stay on the ground all the way across a major metro like StL, KC, Dallas etc and cause billions in damage and kill 1000's. It's probably just a matter of time.

Joplin is basically the size of a mid sized suburb of KC, so you can imagine what a tornado would do if a large one ever stayed on the ground for a long period in a major metro.
An F5 hit the the southwestern suburban fringe of Chicago back in 1990. The towns of Oswego and Plainfield were hit the hardest, before the tornado petered out near Joliet. If the tornado touched down five miles to the north, it would have hit Aurora, Naperville and Bolingbrook.

As for St. Louis, it was hit by an F5 in 1896, so they've already been there and done that.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
There is a chance for a super tornado. With 350 mph winds. There has been some documentaries about one forming at around 5pm if all the conditions are right. Total devastation.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Florida has the highest amount of torando touchdowns per land size, but the vast majority of the tornadoes in Florida are fairly weak. Oklahoma has the highest amount of strong tornadoes.
Here is a map of F3-F5 tornado activity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tornado_Alley.gif This is only F3 F4 and F5s. I know Florida does get a lot of tornado activity but the majority are weak storms and water spouts. Also Florida will have the most reported tornadoes because it is the most populated state which gets tornadoes often and densely populated to most of them are reported where many in the midwest go unreported.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...do_Reports.jpg

Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Oklahoma has the highest amount of strong tornadoes.
And the least amount of basements

Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Kansas City
Oklahoma City/Tulsa
Huntsville
Dallas/Fort Worth
Wichita
etc
etc
etc (name any other tornado alley metropolitan area)

I live in DFW and we are right on the southern edge of tornado alley. Typically, there are many tornadoes in the area each year but they are generally quite weak and only affect certain neighborhoods and locales. It seems like we are due in for a big one at some point so hopefully that won't be while im living here
That being said, I LOVE thunderstorms and tornadoes as long as they dont cause extensive damage or ANY loss of life. One of the most exciting parts about Texas in my opinion
I'd agree! One of the things I miss most about Iowa is we tended to get more big storms there than in Chicago. It's a strange word to use, but I ADORE thunderstorms and crazy weather. It's one thing I don't think I could live without. I know that sounds crazy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City