Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 12:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I've got DC at ~1.7 square miles downtown. I think... Attachment 246402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I got 2.7 sq miles using the south of mass and NY ave from Union Market to Foggy Bottom up to Florida Ave. The distance was roughly 8.5 miles, so maybe that is where MD was getting his numbers.

Just looking at the DC zoning map, you can see the vast majority of the city is zoned for rowhouses and SFHs.

https://ggwash.org/view/81031/why-ch...ommunity-input

This study seems to really drive my point home about Downtown DC being significantly larger in land area than Downtown Boston, Chicago, Philly, and San Fran. In an apples to apples comparison for tons of cities, DC came out substantially larger than the rest of America based on the criteria used. Note I didn't subtract the 2 sq. mile Federal zone, but if you do, Core Downtown DC is 4.3 sq. miles and still double the size of the other cities.

Source: DOWNTOWNS REBOUND: THE DATA DRIVEN PATH TO RECOVERY

Core Downtown DC: 6.3 sq. miles
Greater Downtown DC: 16.6 sq. miles

Core Downtown Chicago: 2.7 sq. miles
Greater Downtown Chicago: 10.2 sq. miles

Core Downtown Philly: 2.1 sq. miles
Greater Downtown Philly: 9.5 sq. miles

Core Downtown Boston: 1.8 sq. miles
Greater Downtown Boston: 9.2 sq. miles (includes Cambridge)

Core Downtown San Fran: 2.1 sq. miles
Greater Downtown San Fran: 7.4 sq. miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Mostly tearing old unused buildings down like the Edison Power Plant and Warehouses along Dot Ave though. Boston can also build over much of I-90 as it is currently doing...Eventually, it will tear down the old Class C office Space Downtown that is declining in value. And there are still plots in the Seaport.

There is also a ton of Room all around Melnea Cass Boulevard to build up. Expect that in the next 20 years as RE values appreciate in Roxbury and the South End. Lab space and residential is already planned for the area and it will serve to connect areas like Boston Medical Center (and by extension the South End Exchange) to Wentworth Institute, BFITs new campus, and Northeastern. Extending the Core of the city almost down to Malcolm X Boulevard imo.

I can see it happening as there are lots begging to be developed. Especially because Boston is rebuilding the Long Island Bridge so that Long Island can house recovery facilities again. In addition to this Lemuel Shattuck is getting a new campus for the homeless and addicted. These efforts combined will remove the open-air drug market along Mass Ave and Melnea Cass Boulevard.
You make a great point here that most people forget. The assumption was that office-to-residential conversions would need to be converted versus torn down. With office buildings falling in value, they're now candidates for teardowns which removes the barrier for light and air required in a residential building. Office owners are handing back the keys to their lenders left and right in DC.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:17 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So we can subtract 2 sq. miles from the land mass for DC to get the real population density. That is the Federal District where nobody lives including the National Mall, White House, etc. etc.

DC Statehood FAQ

Map of National Capital Service Area

The proposed state map carves out a 2-mile radius to be called the National Capital Service Area, which includes federal buildings, such as the White House, Capitol, Supreme Court and the National Mall. This becomes the seat of the federal government as defined in the Constitution.
No you don’t. Because while nobody lives in the Smithsonian it’s still a things that’s in DC and I’m sure you’d brag about Downtown DC’s unmatched cultural amenities. If it counts in that context it counts in this context

Similarly you can say nobody lives in the Federal buildings but also the city wouldn’t exist without the Federal government so space taken up by the reason the city exists absolutely counts.

DC has lower employment density as well. So those places nobody lives I guess nobody works either?

Old 10-11-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No you don’t. Because while nobody lives in the Smithsonian it’s still a things that’s in DC and I’m sure you’d brag about Downtown DC’s unmatched cultural amenities. If it counts in that context it counts in this context

Similarly you can say nobody lives in the Federal buildings but also the city wouldn’t exist without the Federal government so space taken up by the reason the city exists absolutely counts.

DC has lower employment density as well. So those places nobody lives I guess nobody works either?
That's actually not why I mentioned that. You tried to point out the difference in population density. I made reference to that because the blocks that people actually live on have very high population density. I already pointed that out when I said this below. Boston didn't reach these densities anywhere in the whole city.

Which city between Boston, DC, Philly, and Seattle has the densest city neighborhood by block groups using the census reporter website?

The densest neighborhood by block group in DC is downtown in Mt. Vernon Triangle with 4 block groups over 100,000 people per square mile:

1. Mt. Vernon Triangle = 176,017.1 people per square mile

2. Mt. Vernon Triangle = 154,917.7 people per square mile

3. Mt. Vernon Triangle = 152,215.9 people per square mile

4. Mt. Vernon Triangle = 129,069.2 people per square mile

Downtown DC (Mt. Vernon Triangle) Census Block Groups
1. 176,017.1 people per square mile
2. 154,917.7 people per square mile
3. 152,215.9 people per square mile
4. 129,069.2 people per square mile

On a side note, this block group below with join these other 4 above in a few years. There are 600 units under construction on this block right now.

Mt. Vernon Triangle = 66,425.5 people per square mile

Old 10-11-2023, 12:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Not sure how accurate that data is.
Downtown Houston (the area within the highway loops) for example is made up of 3 zip codes. 77002, 77010 and the western portion of 77003

According to census reporter, the population of 77002 in 2021 was 18,892
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US77002-77002/

Downtown+ parts of East Downtown:
77002, 77010, 77003 = 29,686

Rest of East Downtown:
77011, 77026, = 44,736

Midtown + Montrose:
77006= 22,678

Allen Parkway to River Oaks
77019 = 22,475

So for the greater downtown area, which excludes, Museum District, Rice U, The Medical Center, Upper Kirby I get 119,575 for the greater downtown Houston area. I would say there is some fluff in there, but I would also say that the Museum District, Binz, Upper Kirby and TMC should be included in the greater downtown area so cutting the fat and adding the left out areas I think ~ 100k for the greater downtown Houston area is conservative.

Edit: I just saw someone mention the article is old
Which article is old? The CC report states that it’s using 2022-2023 data as an update to a report from 10 years ago.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:55 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No you don’t. Because while nobody lives in the Smithsonian it’s still a things that’s in DC
Gotta agreee... once we start removing things it gets dicey. What if we remove the Boston Garden and Common and the Airport? ( Airport alone is 3.725 sqmi)..

Old 10-11-2023, 01:00 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Gotta agreee... once we start removing things it gets dicey. What if we remove the Boston Garden and Common and the Airport? ( Airport alone is 3.725 sqmi)..
Not to mention the Common is an Amenity people use! The city would be far worse if that was built like DTX even if it means an extra 32,000 people

Would Downtown Chicago be better if you built apartments on Grant Park and renovated the Art Institute into Apartments? Likely not. In Fact Grant Park is probably a reason people like the Loop so much

Old 10-11-2023, 01:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Which article is old? The CC report states that it’s using 2022-2023 data as an update to a report from 10 years ago.
Gotcha

The figures don't match up with census reporter data then.

And some of those areas considered downtown vary wildly

For Houston they just took the CBD, while for other areas they roped in surrounding districts.

What's odd too is that economic activity extends far past the CBD in downtown Houston and yet the greater downtown area is kept small. Other cities though like Dallas, Austin, Indianapolis got outside areas that are just single family homes considered greater downtown, but areas in Houston with hirise office towers are excluded.

Really odd data.

This is part of greater downtown Austin:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aSxD8ucB7uuqbdKj8

but this is not part of greater downtown Houston:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3ZNbkZ15egGfJcPs9

Fort Worth gets 9000 acres for its catchment area, Indianapolis gets 12,000 acres, both of which are largely SFH with no businesses, while entire business districts adjacent to downtown Houston gets cut off??

I would think the greater downtown area would cut off where the area falls to just SFH with no businesses, no restaurants, no retail, just homes with yards

Old 10-11-2023, 05:56 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Gotcha

The figures don't match up with census reporter data then.

And some of those areas considered downtown vary wildly

For Houston they just took the CBD, while for other areas they roped in surrounding districts.

What's odd too is that economic activity extends far past the CBD in downtown Houston and yet the greater downtown area is kept small. Other cities though like Dallas, Austin, Indianapolis got outside areas that are just single family homes considered greater downtown, but areas in Houston with hirise office towers are excluded.

Really odd data.

This is part of greater downtown Austin:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aSxD8ucB7uuqbdKj8

but this is not part of greater downtown Houston:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3ZNbkZ15egGfJcPs9

Fort Worth gets 9000 acres for its catchment area, Indianapolis gets 12,000 acres, both of which are largely SFH with no businesses, while entire business districts adjacent to downtown Houston gets cut off??

I would think the greater downtown area would cut off where the area falls to just SFH with no businesses, no restaurants, no retail, just homes with yards
That's not true. Old East Dallas isn't purely single family homes. It's apartments, duplexes, townhomes, too.

The core downtown makes sense to me. The bulk of the office buildings start a little north of I-30 and bleeds into Uptown Dallas. East of Downtown is Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville, which a portion of it is also included in Greater Downtown.

I am guessing, those are big job generators and contribute to the urban nature...perhaps more cohesive?.

Walking tours

Uptown - "Core Downtown"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrDjaJbfCUc&t=413s

Deep Ellum - "Greater Downtown"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQLyx85DA8

Lower Greenville - portion in "Greater Downtown"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfi3txwbbEE&t=45s

(The videos aren't really for you, it's just a visual for others that are unfamailiar)

Old 10-11-2023, 06:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That's not true. Old East Dallas isn't purely single family homes. It's apartments, duplexes, townhomes, too.
I didn't specify east of Downtown Dallas, but that side applies too. All of this is included in greater downtown on that report:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8FZ9gzkYuUjoxvAFA
https://maps.app.goo.gl/t6rRCiZHrZhU5mKH9
Looks like just single family detached to me.

Help me understand how large scale areas, mere yards away from downtown Dallas is left at such low use. Houston is bad in tearing down vacant buildings to build parking lots, but those are at least lucrative.
How are all those lots near Dallas just empty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City