Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which BBQ is the best?
North Carolina (Lexington Style) 17 17.89%
Kansas City 20 21.05%
Memphis 20 21.05%
Texas Style 26 27.37%
Other (please list in reply) 12 12.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM

415 posts, read 1,209,777 times

Advertisements

Everybody loves food, but there has to be one type of food that is deeply embedded in American history it started here by native americans and then the colonist added flavor and it spread like wild fire across the country! Many claim that they have the best BBQ whether by city/state or region. I myself has only had 2 kinds North Carolina BBQ (actually Lexington style) which I think is the best out there yet and South Carolina which is mustard basted (YUUUUUKKK) worst one I have tasted yet.

So based on yall's experiences which do yall think is the best??

here is the link for the Travel Channels Barbecue Paradise (as seen on TV)
Barbecue Paradise (http://www.travelchannel.com/Travel_Ideas/Food_and_Wine/ci.Barbecue_Paradise.alternative?vgnextfmt=alterna tive - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Can't really say since I have not really tried the best bbq in other places. You see, I have given up on trying bbq anyplace outside of KC. Even when I hunt down what the locals call the best bbq in town, I find the bbq to be terrible most of the time, so I don't even try anymore.

The best bbq I have had outside of KC was in Memphis though. I think that town could compete with KC.

Texas is ok, but not as good as KC IMO and the bbq on the west coast, northeast etc is just horrible. If people think that what bbq in KC tastes like, they have no idea. I hear Richmond, VA has a good bbq joint, I will try it, but I have a feeling I will be disappointed.

Never tried any Carolina bbq, will have to hunt down a couple of high profile places and give them a try.

Famous Daves is not a bad place for a chain, not sure where they originate from. Again, not a bbq snob, it just seem like good bbq outside of KC is nearly impossible to find for me. Might just be what I'm used to.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
South Carolina is actually home to four types of BBQ, not just mustard-based. The four types would be Vinegar and Pepper, Mustard, Light Tomato and Heavy Tomato. I'm partial to mustard-based myself since that's mostly what I grew up on, but vinegar-based is good too.

http://www.carolinaqcup.com/images/bbq_map_w.gif (broken link)

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM

87 posts, read 80,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Famous Daves is not a bad place for a chain, not sure where they originate from. Again, not a bbq snob, it just seem like good bbq outside of KC is nearly impossible to find for me. Might just be what I'm used to.
Famous Daves originated in Wisconsin by a guy who grew up in Chicago and spent years trying to reproduce some ribs he had in Chicago as a kid.
His ribs suck. So does Roma's.

The best ribs are from South Carolina. Sorry it did not make the poll.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
I voted Texas Style.

The Salt Lick, near Austin, TX... THE place to go for excellent BBQ.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
There's been a lot of smack talk here lately-- mostly by me-- but can't we agree that all BBQ is both delicious and necessary?

It's a uniting factor.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
South Carolina is actually home to four types of BBQ, not just mustard-based. The four types would be Vinegar and Pepper, Mustard, Light Tomato and Heavy Tomato. I'm partial to mustard-based myself since that's mostly what I grew up on, but vinegar-based is good too.
Being from Georgia, I have to agree that the mustard based Bar-B-Q is quite tasty...

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
I'd put Earl's Rib Palace in OK City up against anyone.

It also doesn't hurt that Oklahoma is the home to Headcountry BBQ Sauce = perennial winner/champion in BBQ contests in the Deep South and the South at large.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Honestly I have had some Texas BBQ that was out of this World, also had some Texas style that sucked ass. Same can be said for every single region I have traveled through and had "their" BBQ. There can be a HUGE difference between two places in the same town, using the same "style" for their BBQ. The hands down best BBQ I ever ate was in West Michigan of all places. There was no way I would have believed it until I walked through their doors and had some. He was originally from West Texas and spent time in KC then lived in North Carolina for a few years. The guy took the best of all of them and combined it with local apple wood smoke instead of the usual woods, and OMG what great BBQ. I about cried when he had to close up because, it turns out, he was a better Pit-Master than a businessman.

Overall though I tend to lean toward the Texas style a bit more than the other regions. Lived down there for a few years and just like the way it is done in general. I have to agree with the other posters about the SC regional mustard based BBQ, bleech! Not my thing at all. Then again a REALLY good BBQ doesn't have to hide the meat with the sauce, a bit to enhance it maybe, but never hide the meats smoky flavor. You worked hours or days getting the meat smoked and slow cooked to perfection, why slather a huge amount of sauce over it so you cannot taste all that work?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
I'm torn between KC and Memphis...some of the best ribs I've ever had were at Corky's in Memphis (both wet and dry) and at Oklahoma Joe's in Westwood, KS. My vote goes to KC, but Memphis is up there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City