Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

26 posts, read 85,950 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,
My brother had Miss Walsh for kindergarten - very sweet as I remember. He turns 56 this February, just in case you were in his class, Buckeye54....Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 PM

325 posts, read 1,126,218 times
Hello Bethany, Do you have any class pictures? Did you look at the ones on here? You might remember somebody. I wish there were some pictures of the same years but different classes.. That would help too because your friends were't always in your clases. Hyden

Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Hi, Hyden,
I have to find my class photos - I have 2: Mrs. Allen, 2nd grade (1958) and Miss Wheeldon, 3rd grade (1959). I did recognize some familiar faces in your pictures. I wrote the names of everyone in my classes on the backs of the photos - when I find them I can share that information (hope no one minds our sharing their names!). As I told Nightbazaar, I also have some snapshots of Stratford Manor - even one at the pool - stored somewhere. I also have some report cards. I noticed how cute the girls were dressed in the pictures - with such pretty dresses and many with crinolines. I remember getting new saddle oxfords for 3rd grade and I slept in them! I had a 4th grade teacher for language arts - her name was Mrs. Parrish, I think. Our studies were HARD! We wrote autobiographies and studied Australia - kept notebooks - I just remember a lot of work - and homework on top of it. She was very sweet, though. We really did get a good education there.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM

185 posts, read 459,224 times
NightBazzar,I believe I read that you went to Oakley Elem.Do you remember a girl named Wanda Hall?Long story short,I met her when we moved to Tn.She was the niece of my next door neighbor,however she did tell me she went to Oakley and that she lived in the Oakley area.A.F.D.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
A.F.D., no, I don't remember anyone from Oakley Elementary, except for a few of the kids from the orphanage. I went to Oakley Elementary for only 1 year, the 4th grade. The next year when Eastwood Elementary opened, I spent the 5th and 6th grades there.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM

NightBazaar, What year did Eastwood School open? Hyden

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
I think Eastwood School must've opened for the 1956/1957 school year. I recall the grades I attended, but am having a hard time remembering exactly which years they were. The web page showing the old schools of Cincy mentions 1955, but that has to be when it was being constructed. But I know I started the 5th grade there and it was when the school first opened. If it had opened the year before, there wouldn't have been any need to attend Oakley School.

Starting at Eastwood was great. It seemed so modern, and had a nice new-school smell to it. Oakley was an old school with musty halls that were somewhat dark and dingy in comparison. Comparing Eastwood with Oakley is like comparing a bright, cheery school and an ancient dungeon.

I also remember we had to buy bus tokens to ride the city bus to Oakley School. I think the bus tokens were actually bought at the school where you'd buy enough of them to use for a month or so.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM

I started Eastwood the second half of first grade - spring of 1958. I had come from a school so old it had a bell in a tower that was rung every morning - it is an historic landmark now. Eastwood was so nice and very different from what I was used to. I was in a room that combined first and second graders. I'm not sure why. Mrs. McConnell was my teacher. I remember that on my first day the principal, Mary Alice McCartney, came in to the the room and kissed me.
Do you all remember the lunch tokens we bought from our teachers and took to the lunchroom - I think they were gray metal triangles...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Bethany, Do you remember the annix building behind the school ? When I started kindergarden it was in that building, and I was in that building until we moved after the begining of 3rd. grade. When we moved back 5th grade had already started and it was in the main building. As far as lunch it seems like I remember running home for lunch, maybe not everydaay but I do remember doing it. Also when I was in 1st grade one day I wasn't in line when recess was over, they found me on the other side of the building talking to the Coca cola man. I was asking about how they got the pop in the bottles. Mom said Miss McCartney called her and said she really needed to have a talk with me about talking to strangers. To this day my family will say that I'll talk to anybody that I never knew a stranger. LOL I can remember while in the small grade having papers to color that showed a man with a bag of candy trying to get a childs attention, and the teacher explaining why we shouldn't talk to strangers. Now we have to do more than color a picture to get the message across to our children and grand children. Hyden

Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Hyden, that is such a cute story! And i am sure you are very friendly to everyone. You looked like such a cute little girl in the photos. I do remember the annex behind the school - that is where my 1st grade class was. I moved to the 2 story building for 4th grade and began changing classes for different subjects (that was scary to me!). I usually brought my lunch or went home - I bought it a couple of times, but didn't really like the school food. I remember they served Spanish rice (kind of red) one day and I got physically sick just looking at it - I had never seen anything like that before!
I work with young children and our (large) church has even the delivery people get background checks! The simple days are over for sure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati