Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 AM

150 posts, read 171,804 times

Advertisements

I read newspapers etc. on the Internet: saves trees and disposal. Local news is hard to find. Years ago I'd read the Enquirer, the Post, Rick Hines' local blog, and whatever else was available. Now the latter two are defunct and the first is trying to be that way. I check WCPO's local news ("http://www.wcpo.com/news) each day, but would like to find additional sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Local news is hard to come by. First is what local news are you after? Out where I live I often read the Journal News syndicate of local newspapers online. They cover many of the small munincipalities in Butler and Warren counties. I enjoy the job they do on what I call local news, the things I am interested in.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Truly local news is hard to come by these days, indeed. OP might like to Google "Blue Ash news" and see what pops up in terms of an area blog or communication medium.

Thursdays counted for something "way back when" because there was an active local-publishing scene in Greater Cincinnati. Our "Millcreek (sic) Valley News" was delivered on that day. Then after its owner gambled the paper into oblivion there was a short-lived "Valley Courier," followed by something with perhaps "Tri-County" in the name that was about as thin and uninformative as the present-day Enquirer. (No wonder I don't remember the title.)

Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
The Cincinnati Business Courier is a good one.

Cincinnati Business News - Cincinnati Business Courier

Old 09-06-2014, 05:51 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I think the OP is casting about for a "news organ" specific to their geographic area. On Am Lux's side of the Sauerkraut Curtain there does still seem to be something like that in existence, at least online. Back in the day, the weekly community papers (which covered about a dozen adjoining suburban areas) were the go-to source for finding out what occurred in local government meetings, learning about development plans, picking up more info about a major crime or fire that happened, and - to be sure - seeing who got married or who was arrested. There were also your typical columns written by self-proclaimed frazzled housewives (which is how Erma Bombeck got her start) or fix-anything men. The Millcreek (sic) Valley News even had a concert critic, and its op-eds written by the owner would be termed "Tea Party" in nature today and were so often off-the-wall that I sometimes clipped them to send to friends out of town.
Nowadays you have to go to a "dot gov" page to find out about council meetings, public hearings, and the like. If there's a community council or development organization, they have their own Web space which also has to be visited. Meanwhile, whether it's political discourse or rants concerning the sock-eating dryer the 'net has "niche" blogs for everything. And a lot of the fun mundane stuff that's fodder for idle chatter never sees the light of day. Life has gotten hopelessly and irreparably compartmentalized into Web pages and apps galore, away from when tons of interesting and/or useful and/or entertaining material could be derived from a stack of newsprint bundled into a rubber band and tossed on the driveway on Thursday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati