Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 55,135 times

Advertisements

Hey me and my family were thinking of moving there but tons of people have said that the kids are relly stuck up, rich and snobby. I was wondering is this true? also what is wando like what are the girls like are the rich brats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,106,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach1415 View Post
Hey me and my family were thinking of moving there but tons of people have said that the kids are relly stuck up, rich and snobby. I was wondering is this true? also what is wando like what are the girls like are the rich brats?

You're up WAY past your bedtime, kiddo!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,646,067 times
Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,,,,,,we have a winner!!!

Its not just the kids...............

Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,969,692 times
No, it isn't just the kids that are stuck up in Mount Pleasant...and it isn't just Mount Pleasant that has stuck up residents.

That would be like me saying all N. Charleston residents are jerks, just because Captain Rick comes off that way. No way is all of N.Chas. like that...only certain residents.

You have to keep in mind that some folks have a certain attitude "against" Mount Pleasant, and they will always voice their opinion as such. I have my own opinion about some of the other towns around Charleston and the attitudes that abound in and around some of them...I personally find more "stuck up" folks in other areas than I do in Mount Pleasant. But that is just my opinion.

I ALWAYS seem to find that residents from other towns talk negatively about Mount Pleasant much more than the residents of MtP doing the converse.

In reality, it isn't any different than any part, or sub-part, of the entire Charleston area. Is Mount Pleasant like the small farming community I grew up in? No, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Is Mount Pleasant like the coastal community (North Carolina) I lived in for six years? No, but I wasn't expecting it to be. In the end, you need to form your own opinion. Be realistic in your assumptions and nothing will be a surprise.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM

547 posts, read 1,198,594 times
Capt Rick, c'mon man.... enough with the Mt P bashing. I live on DI and gravitate towards the down to earth people who have worked for every nickel they've got (like i have) rather than having it handed to them. Are there people there who were raised on a silver spoon? absolutely.... but surprisingly its not the majority.... go easy on the bashing. It make you look bitter...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,005,363 times

Hopefully this won't turn into one of those threads...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,646,067 times
Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,,I'm not bashing, or am I bitter. Just telling it like it is. I'm sorry if you dont agree with me, but that's OK. If you like MtP,,,that's fine.

I have lived in North Charleston just about all my life and worked in MtP for about three years. I'm not from somewhere else...

I have had a few friends that live in MtP tell me that they didn't like the area because of the way a lot of people act that are from there.

O-yeah,,,,Thanks for the popcorn pokrplr,,,I'm sure someone will need it.

Last edited by Capt Rick Hiott; 01-03-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,234,564 times
I think some of the more snotty Mt Pleasant residents tend to be transplants from other parts of the country and those who move there later rather than when they were young. They also tend to be the group who brag about living in Charleston but are 1/2 north of it???

But there are plenty of snobby people in all areas- my favs are the ones who have major hang-ups about only living downtown even when they live in frickin ghettos to do so. The most humorous ones are the folks who think anything outside Summerville all but requires driving an armoured car.

I have previously lived in Mt P and know plenty of people who use the Mt Pleasant schools. There is much more of an economic/educational/background diversity to Mt Pleasant than many people realize. Just because its pretty frickin white and the schools are all on the upper end for Charleston County does not mean its homogenous. Mt P does have the most income/highest home values on average of the well sized towns however folks living in Ion, the Old Village and Dunes West are a small minority and not the norm.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,477,420 times
Mt.P has it's share of snotty people, but it also has more than it's share of really great people IMHO

like many others, I've watched that place explode over the last 30 yrs with a ton of new money moving in... people that have made it big with the age of electronics, housing boom, etc etc... most of the "snotty" people I've met over there since the boom are old money wannabe's, and it's really annoying...

most of the people from the old money that's been there for years are really great people, I've known manyyyy.... they don't have the arrogance that many of the newer people have, they are good ole fashioned southern families with good values that have given much to the surrounding communities and are humble about their status...

yes many walk and talk different but that doesn't make them stuck up, obviously living a different life gives you different experiences which affects everything from the way you talk to the way you walk... but that doesn't make a person "better" than another, just different

most of it is class envy, which is a shame... and it's class envy from those with new money trying to act like it means more than it does, and trying to act like they've had it all along... which still means nothing...

some of the very wealthy that have lived in MtP, and above that area like in Awendaw, for generations are some of the best people you'll meet in the lowcountry IMHO

put the class envy aside and you can learn a lot from these people

do you learn to swim really well from someone who can't?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times

think the only folks in MP that are snobs are those of us that choose to live within 10 minutes of the beach (or closer)and 15 minutes of downtown. Yes we feel superior because we live in a location that is superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area