Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 04:49 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

Any new thoughts on your trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 06:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
No and it's making me crazy. I can send them with a transfer service which will cost $2,400 or put them on a plane by themselves which will be around $500. They aren't in with the cargo, apparently American Airlines has a special place for animals. But they can't fly if the temperature is below 45 degrees or above 85 degrees. I know either way is going to stress them out but I'm leaning toward flying them rather than have them in a car with strangers for 3 days.

I'm also considering selling my Corolla and buying an SUV so that I can transport all of them with me.

My house officially goes on the market October 4th.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:05 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Personally, I would never fly my cats by themselves, as there are too many possibilities for mishaps in that scenario (and I don’t trust airport personnel to care for animals that aren’t theirs—they have enough to do).

I would buy an SUV and transport them with me. I actually think that you are going to be more stressed thinking about and/or anticipating the car trip with them than actually doing the trip itself (especially if you have a roomy SUV to transport them).

Old 09-27-2023, 07:12 AM

You are right Starla. I AM stressing myself out. Mostly because of past experiences driving from NC to FL with 3 dogs and 2 cats. One morning at the hotel we couldn't find one of the cats and I freaked out thinking he had somehow gotten out when the kids opened the door. While my husband and one of the boys went looking all through the hotel parking lot, my youngest son and I tried to have breakfast. I was crying at the table thinking of my poor, sweet cat lost in an unfamiliar place near the interstate.

When we went back to the room, the other cat had disappeared! Now we know the door wasn't opened so we started looking in the room. Sure enough they had managed to crawl behind the built in dresser.

I'm actually considering renting a van so we can take all 4 of the animals and sending my car on one of those services. Life would be much simpler with my pets but I love them and they seem to like me too. :-)

Old 09-27-2023, 09:16 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You are right Starla. I AM stressing myself out. Mostly because of past experiences driving from NC to FL with 3 dogs and 2 cats. One morning at the hotel we couldn't find one of the cats and I freaked out thinking he had somehow gotten out when the kids opened the door. While my husband and one of the boys went looking all through the hotel parking lot, my youngest son and I tried to have breakfast. I was crying at the table thinking of my poor, sweet cat lost in an unfamiliar place near the interstate.

When we went back to the room, the other cat had disappeared! Now we know the door wasn't opened so we started looking in the room. Sure enough they had managed to crawl behind the built in dresser.

I'm actually considering renting a van so we can take all 4 of the animals and sending my car on one of those services. Life would be much simpler with my pets but I love them and they seem to like me too. :-)
I hear you. When I was a kid, we lost a dog at a rest stop. The memory of it still haunts me. Nevertheless, I would rather the pet become lost while I were transporting it as opposed to someone else losing it (and pets are more likely to get lost or run away while in the care of a stranger). So, I encourage your plan to purchase or rent a large vehicle to comfortably drive every one together, in a single trip.

But the best part of your “cat-lost-in-a-hotel-room” story is the fact that the other cat most likely made it a point to go looking for the lost cat so that lostie would finally be found and you would be calmed (which is precisely what happened, albeit not in the way that anyone seems to have intended ).

My cat and my neighbor’s cat are both indoor/outdoor and my neighbor’s cat will often go on a walkabout to find my cat and tell him that I am looking for him and/or he is expected home. I will call for my cat and, if he is a no-show, will often see the neighbor’s cat in his stead, whereupon I say to him, “Smokey, go find Sylvester!” Within 5-10 minutes, Sylvester will be waiting at the back door. Safety in numbers.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:51 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
We used this guy twice when buying cats from across the country. He’s great, we just paid $900 late July for him to meet breeder at Cincinnati airport and have kitten flown to airport here in Minneapolis, the $900 was airfare and his fee. We used him 6 years prior and he remember our prior kitten. One problem is someone else would have to bring your cats to airport as you have to already be at airport your meeting at. He’s a great guy if you go this route. Let me know if you do as I can be used as a reference point to him to help his company out. He has a Instagram page and you can see our kitten on it.

Pets Jets

Old 10-06-2023, 10:31 AM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
No and it's making me crazy. I can send them with a transfer service which will cost $2,400 or put them on a plane by themselves which will be around $500. They aren't in with the cargo, apparently American Airlines has a special place for animals. But they can't fly if the temperature is below 45 degrees or above 85 degrees. I know either way is going to stress them out but I'm leaning toward flying them rather than have them in a car with strangers for 3 days.

I'm also considering selling my Corolla and buying an SUV so that I can transport all of them with me.

My house officially goes on the market October 4th.
I came from Miami to Denver so I know where you are coming from. Honestly, get rid of the Corolla and get an SUV. You'll want it for CS winters which can have quite a bit of snow. You'll also want to look into snow tires. I'd never put my cats on a plane by themselves. I'd pay to have a professional take care of them flying. Let me know if you have any questions regarding tires. I sold them for years in Evergreen. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We used this guy twice when buying cats from across the country. He’s great, we just paid $900 late July for him to meet breeder at Cincinnati airport and have kitten flown to airport here in Minneapolis, the $900 was airfare and his fee. We used him 6 years prior and he remember our prior kitten. One problem is someone else would have to bring your cats to airport as you have to already be at airport your meeting at. He’s a great guy if you go this route. Let me know if you do as I can be used as a reference point to him to help his company out. He has a Instagram page and you can see our kitten on it.

Pets Jets

This is wonderful! I will call them tomorrow. Thank you so much!

Old 10-09-2023, 07:15 AM

Well, they want almost $6K to take my cats to Colorado from Florida. That is just not going to work.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:11 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Well, they want almost $6K to take my cats to Colorado from Florida. That is just not going to work.
When are you coming out here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats