Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times

Advertisements

Shopping for new. Dealer offered up a certified pre-owned Camry SE (loaded) with 9900 miles on it for $28K. The previous owner took delivery end of Oct 2023, so it was driven 460 miles/week. My previous 55 mile commute had me driving 340 miles/week. Should this be a red flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 09:41 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Highway miles are much better for the car than it being driven in town. I wouldn’t be concerned.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Shopping for new. Dealer offered up a certified pre-owned Camry SE (loaded) with 9900 miles on it for $28K. The previous owner took delivery end of Oct 2023, so it was driven 460 miles/week. My previous 55 mile commute had me driving 340 miles/week. Should this be a red flag?
If he took delivery Oct 22 you wouldn't even ask the question. So who cares? The car has too many miles for your liking at a given price, or it doesn't. As it is the car has only lost 6 months of warranty and a little bit more than the equivalent in miles.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If he took delivery Oct 22 you wouldn't even ask the question. So who cares? The car has too many miles for your liking at a given price, or it doesn't. As it is the car has only lost 6 months of warranty and a little bit more than the equivalent in miles.
I am asking more about the volume of the miles driven in that period of time, not about the total miles on the car. How is a car being used if its being driven on average 70 miles per day and how was the car being treated during that time.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:00 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
The trading in after 6 months would be a good enough red *** for me to keep looking. Unless dealer has a good reason why.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:11 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Yeah, six months and traded in? People don't buy Camries on emotional impulses of I want a Mustang oh wait I have kids in car seats and it isn't working. It might be a voluntary repossession which isn't a huge deal. But it might also be a lemon where the buyer just didn't want to fight a long legal battle to get the car bought back. The manufacturers all make it difficult as they know a good percentage of people just need a car that works and can't handle a protracted legal dispute. Many of them just trade it in, take the financial loss, and move on with their lives rather than fight.

There's nothing the dealer can really say I'd put much weight on. You'd need to have a conversation with the prior owner to see what their motivation was in trading in a six month old Camry which you can't have.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The 9,900 miles is barely time for one oil change, there is really no maintenance that needed doing beyond that and a tire rotation. The dealer may or may not give you a truthful answer as to the reason it was brought back, that short time makes me wonder. If he traded it in for something bigger, with 4WD, or an EV, then it may just be to save money or better suit needs. Like Malloric, I would wonder if it has a history of problems and is a lemon. Is there anything on Carfax? Why would they push you onto that one if they could get a bigger commission for the $32k-40k+ on a new 2024?

Old 04-11-2024, 01:58 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
The miles driven per week could be a concern to me. It indicates two things, either a freeway commute, or an in-town sales route. If it were a commute car, I would not be concerned at all. Freeway miles are a lot more gentle on a automobile than stop-and-go city driving. The short ownership time of the original owner does not bother me. Life happens and situations change. Nothing to really fret over.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase any car without an close investigation of the Carfax, (or dealership maintenance records). Was the car in an accident? That's a huge red flag! And the oil change frequency? If it had an oil and filter change at 5,000 miles, and another one to get it ready to sell . . . that's good! Bonus points if the owner changed the oil at 500 or 600 miles. That indicates an owner who really cares about the car and probably took care of it.

Even though Toyota advertises a 10,000 mile oil change frequency . . . it is the ignorant owner who doesn't change their oil at least every 5,000 miles. "Penny wise and pound foolish" is the cliché that comes to mind.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-11-2024, 02:04 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, six months and traded in? People don't buy Camries on emotional impulses of I want a Mustang oh wait I have kids in car seats and it isn't working. It might be a voluntary repossession which isn't a huge deal. But it might also be a lemon where the buyer just didn't want to fight a long legal battle to get the car bought back. The manufacturers all make it difficult as they know a good percentage of people just need a car that works and can't handle a protracted legal dispute. Many of them just trade it in, take the financial loss, and move on with their lives rather than fight.

There's nothing the dealer can really say I'd put much weight on. You'd need to have a conversation with the prior owner to see what their motivation was in trading in a six month old Camry which you can't have.

Years back I bought a brand new 2014 Camry SE based on logic not heart.
In less than 6 months later I hated it so much and nobody in the family wanted to drive it, that had to sell it.
Nothing wrong with it, had less than 5k miles but the worst appliance like drivability, went back to sporty German sedans.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The trading in after 6 months would be a good enough red *** for me to keep looking. Unless dealer has a good reason why.
Dealer said they came in and traded up to an XSE in order to get the wrap-around moon roof, which, I guess I doubt. I mean, they had a fully loaded SE, the only thing that the XSE gives them is the moon roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive