Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 40,982 times

Advertisements

Thinking that having a remote start in the summer would be awesome. Wondering what people have paid for an installed one, and if there are any recommendations on where to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
The hardware isn't expensive, when I was in Detroit, you could get one installed for ~$200, and for a few extra bucks they had a "range extender" option that would allow you to start the car from the other side of a mall.

BUT.

Be sure and ask lots of questions of whomever you have install one. There are some adaptor "kits" that make the installation a "plug-in" operation, and I wouldn't allow an installation in my car without one of those kits.

The one on my wife's car could be just plugged in with a $20 adaptor, or you could cut and splice 17 wires to do the install.

Guess what the pros did?

Not cool!

The wires you need access to for starting a car are really, really important - a cheeseball wiring job will make the car seem possesed.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,177 times
I heard it could void your engine warranty. I don't know whether or not that's true, but it's worth investigating. I had mine installed by the dealer when I purchased my car, so it isn't an issue for me.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmt View Post
Thinking that having a remote start in the summer would be awesome. Wondering what people have paid for an installed one, and if there are any recommendations on where to buy it.
I have it and it is not really that awesome. Newer cars with 134a refrigerant have to spin the compressor faster to get much cold air. When you start it and let it idle, it doesn't cool much or very fast. I find the best way is to crank the windows down for the first block or so.

If you must have it, talk to your model dealer first. You might find that all is that is required is a new remote and reprogram if it was an option on your car. It'll still cost you a few hundred, but that's the best way to be sure you/installer don't screw up your computer or factory security system.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM

170 posts, read 634,515 times
I have it on both my cars and I love it especially with this winter weather. Mine are both factory but I am thinking of getting the Viper Smartstart later in the year for my car. Mine is a basic Remote start that just starts the car. My wifes is programmable so she can set the car to a certain temp when she remote starts it.

When I get in the car is always heated or cooled if that is the temp I set it at.

The one I am looking at is about $400 or $500. I cant rememeber off the time of my head....but then again I may just keep the Factory one.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Factory installed they are a good option. Aftermarket, not so much. Imagine you are an engineer at Toyota or GM trying to figure out how not to allow people to hot wire a vehicle. Then think of your self as a thief who has broken the steering wheel lock and just needs to get the car running to have a nice 75,000 ride for free. Ergo the problem. If installation is easy, why have an ignition switch.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Factory installed they are a good option. Aftermarket, not so much. Imagine you are an engineer at Toyota or GM trying to figure out how not to allow people to hot wire a vehicle. Then think of your self as a thief who has broken the steering wheel lock and just needs to get the car running to have a nice 75,000 ride for free. Ergo the problem. If installation is easy, why have an ignition switch.
Well said. I've researched them for a couple of cars and it seems like OEM is the way to go. It may cost a few more bucks but no cutting wires etc.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have it and it is not really that awesome. Newer cars with 134a refrigerant have to spin the compressor faster to get much cold air. When you start it and let it idle, it doesn't cool much or very fast. I find the best way is to crank the windows down for the first block or so.

If you must have it, talk to your model dealer first. You might find that all is that is required is a new remote and reprogram if it was an option on your car. It'll still cost you a few hundred, but that's the best way to be sure you/installer don't screw up your computer or factory security system.
In the northeast "it's totally awesome" especially when it's 5 degrees outside and your windows are covered with ice.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
OEM if applicable is probably the way to go, even for more $$$$. But I've had aftermarket remote starters on 10+ cars, including several manual transmission cars, going back 20+ years and never had a problem with any of them.

I have my doubts about these "no cut" harness adaptors for aftermarket remote starters. The wring has to be tapped in several locations, so I don't see how they'd be practical. Plus, there are hardly enough aftermarket remote starters installed to warrant the R&D and tooling for this kind of harness.

A quick Google search suggests the harnesses are primarily (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, as I only saw them for Bulldogs) for Bulldog remote starters.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
OEM if applicable is probably the way to go, even for more $$$$. But I've had aftermarket remote starters on 10+ cars, including several manual transmission cars, going back 20+ years and never had a problem with any of them.

I have my doubts about these "no cut" harness adaptors for aftermarket remote starters. The wring has to be tapped in several locations, so I don't see how they'd be practical. Plus, there are hardly enough aftermarket remote starters installed to warrant the R&D and tooling for this kind of harness.

A quick Google search suggests the harnesses are primarily (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, as I only saw them for Bulldogs) for Bulldog remote starters.
Did you have any of the systems that required you to tape your spare key inside the steering column. If so, what was your experience and would you recommend them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive