Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 08:20 AM

570 posts, read 516,468 times

Advertisements

It has been almost 3 years since I left Australia for the UK. My main motivation was to travel around Europe, North Africa, and meet new people. I have accomplished all of that and even found an amazing partner here. However, I am overall dissatisfied with the country. London is extremely dirty and plagued with crime compared to Sydney. Additionally, it is excessively expensive; I am paying 40% more than what I used to pay in Sydney to live in a nice area. Personally, the weather is depressing (except for summer and spring).

What I do appreciate about London is its international atmosphere, ease of travel around Europe, and the beauty of its parks. However, I believe the UK is on a downward trajectory. The healthcare system pales in comparison to Medicare's. Many cities are unpleasant to live in (with the exception of some well-known tourist towns). Wages are disheartening; I earned more working in a supermarket than in a professional capacity here in London. The media average salary in the UK is around £30k, and there is a recession with high inflation.

I'm curious to know how much has changed in Australia during these years. I see many amazing developments happening in Australian cities, with a more positive outlook and a better government. Brisbane is hosting the Olympics, the new Sydney metro is opening, and Melbourne is experiencing urban development.

I miss Australia a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 03:07 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,362,101 times
That depends a lot on personal circumstances and where in Aus you live.

From my perspective, the dynamics, trends and pressures (good and not so good) that were apparent three years ago, are still here.

Some folk may have noticed differences, but whether that's due to changes in broader socio economic trends, or simply changes in personal circumstances is often hard to assess.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,031,888 times
Three years is hardly a longtime. The prevailing issues of the time remain in vogue today. Probably just more obvious.

I take it you are thinking of returning to Sydney? Not to dissimilar in many areas as to the problems existing in London.

Those issues being over inflated housing, expensive rentals if able to get, drugs everywhere , I believe it is the cocaine capital of Australia. I doubt if the crime is much different on a per capita basis.

The weather obviously the big difference , but is much else really different?

London has far better public transport (even if not cheap) (judged best in Europe I believe) Hence the cost of needing a car is saved. Far more diverse in culture of every form. London is an Alpha city. Often judged as perhaps the most exciting city in the world , Sydney would be just as expensive, even more so by some measurements, but on a very different level.

Obviously may be more suitable. All depending on what you consider more desirable. Best look beyond nostalgic notions though and consider what that city really is.

But if thinking elsewhere in Australia check out what you are getting into.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:11 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,026,636 times
Don’t know a lot about the UK, but Australia has changed over the last 3 years- most obviously due to the Covid pandemic coming and then going.
A change in government has also occurred.
Cost of living and interest rates have gone up, causing a housing and rental crisis.
Things are gradually improving and returning to normality though, and back to the pre pandemic levels, but it’s been a roller coaster ride for sure.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:10 PM

I wonder just how and what is turning to normality? Unless the new normal is something other.
Australia remains in the midst of the worst housing crisis on record.

There are warnings that many thousands of households across the country are in severe rental stress. ( 640,000 households to put a figure on it.)

Sydney is so expensive that you need to be on an income of over $200,000 to get a loan.

As for rents, they have surged by 75% since the pandemic.

Increasingly few places are now affordable in Australia. All this on top of record, un needed immigration , which accounts for the main reason with regards to the crisis in housing.
We have severe drug issues contributing to all of above and fair to say out of control.

We are not as 'open' as UK in discussion by the media into society issues with too few of the severe issues impacting this nation being discussed in any detail.

A lot of these issues would have been apparent three years ago though. It is just everything has got worse with no quick fix in sight. Indeed Australia is a nation undergoing rapid change. I wonder how many appreciate just how much this change will create a nation unrecognisable in a few more years as we detach ever further from our past and present?

Old 04-05-2024, 08:08 AM

2,959 posts, read 1,353,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Don’t know a lot about the UK, but Australia has changed over the last 3 years- most obviously due to the Covid pandemic coming and then going.
A change in government has also occurred.
Cost of living and interest rates have gone up, causing a housing and rental crisis.
Things are gradually improving and returning to normality though, and back to the pre pandemic levels, but it’s been a roller coaster ride for sure.
You do know the housing crisis is getting worse and will continue to get worse? I don't mean to be a downer but Australia is entering one of it's hardest times in a generation and it won't get easier for a few years yet. Even the reserve bank have stated thinks need to get alot hard for alot more people for interest rate drops to be even considered. I've never seen as much ''Working'' homeless people as i do now. People with full time jobs living in vehicles or tents because there is literally no-where for them to live. Most Europeans have no clue how bad things are here i feel because we paint the place as rosey and then at the same time complain why we are getting so many migrants.

I honestly have no idea where we are going but i don't see a way out anytime soon. If housing could be fixed then it will significantly improve things and bring back plenty of normality but it won't be and the government is not doing much while it gets repeated quarter after quarter that they are vastly missing their target.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:45 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,026,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
You do know the housing crisis is getting worse and will continue to get worse? I don't mean to be a downer but Australia is entering one of it's hardest times in a generation and it won't get easier for a few years yet. Even the reserve bank have stated thinks need to get alot hard for alot more people for interest rate drops to be even considered. I've never seen as much ''Working'' homeless people as i do now. People with full time jobs living in vehicles or tents because there is literally no-where for them to live. Most Europeans have no clue how bad things are here i feel because we paint the place as rosey and then at the same time complain why we are getting so many migrants.

I honestly have no idea where we are going but i don't see a way out anytime soon. If housing could be fixed then it will significantly improve things and bring back plenty of normality but it won't be and the government is not doing much while it gets repeated quarter after quarter that they are vastly missing their target.
Yes I’m aware housing is still bad, and interest rates probably won’t go down for many months.
My daughter moved to Melbourne 12 months ago from her hometown in Newcastle, and now has to find another house to rent in the next couple of weeks.
She’s worried about being homeless for a while, despite having plenty of money in the bank.
So yes, you’re right, it’s going to take a while for things to get better.
Many people that own an investment property, and I’m talking mum and dad investors here not those with big portfolios, may have to sell out as well.
Renters and homeowners alike are all affected.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Self induced hardship brought about largely by greed and a failure of those in power.

Hardest time in a generation? I'd say you would need to go far further back than a generation and even then too many differences to really compare.

Interest rates should not be dropped. That would be the worst thing ever for an already thrashed housing market. The result would be further huge escalation in house prices and making it close to impossible for anyone on a working wage to get into property. This would further escalate the massive divide between the well off and the rest, already high in Australia and further high light inequalities within society.

As I've already mentioned, we appear to be in danger of heading in an Argentina type of existence. Enough South Americans have over a few years suddenly appeared on the scene to further curry the flavour.
Any thoughts on that situation I wonder?

Most Europeans don't think much of Australia really. AS for migrants, even Brit's are not coming in numbers compared to only a few years ago . There is a deliberate cultural and racial change being overwhelmingly focused on a Developing World intake that will change this nation in every possible conceivable way. Much not for the better, but not discussed or permitted to be to any extent. Hardly the only issue not being discussed in the public forum though.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
It has been almost 3 years since I left Australia for the UK. My main motivation was to travel around Europe, North Africa, and meet new people. I have accomplished all of that and even found an amazing partner here. However, I am overall dissatisfied with the country. London is extremely dirty and plagued with crime compared to Sydney. Additionally, it is excessively expensive; I am paying 40% more than what I used to pay in Sydney to live in a nice area. Personally, the weather is depressing (except for summer and spring).

What I do appreciate about London is its international atmosphere, ease of travel around Europe, and the beauty of its parks. However, I believe the UK is on a downward trajectory. The healthcare system pales in comparison to Medicare's. Many cities are unpleasant to live in (with the exception of some well-known tourist towns). Wages are disheartening; I earned more working in a supermarket than in a professional capacity here in London. The media average salary in the UK is around £30k, and there is a recession with high inflation.

I'm curious to know how much has changed in Australia during these years. I see many amazing developments happening in Australian cities, with a more positive outlook and a better government. Brisbane is hosting the Olympics, the new Sydney metro is opening, and Melbourne is experiencing urban development.

I miss Australia a lot.
Not sure if hosting The Olympics with regards to Brisbane is a positive though? Perhaps an ego boost for some but at what cost?

I've read house prices there already are rivalling the bigger Southern cities, making yet another city increasingly unaffordable.

There are already tent encampments there and probably fair to say a general decline in living standards for many and increased crime levels.

The Olympics is only a two week event. Only cities have been left with debt and higher prices as a result.

But I once applauded such events, thinking the exposure worth the cost , so understand how any number may see it in the same light I once done. Hence is such a venture worth the cost?

I suspect the focus would be better cast over the coming three, six ten years to get a longer term view on where Australia is heading.? But the past three years does permit an indication for sure of the sort of direction we are heading in and just how desirable that is.

I'm uncertain as to the extent most care though. Short term thinking and gain seems quite probably the preferred stance.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:

I agree in parts, but consider it more involved than simply the question of housing issues being fixed. WE need a complete reset of our compass in order to hopefully return to a stable course to steer by in order to avoid the shoals and rocks ahead of us. Without a competent helmsman of course this will prove fraught with difficulty as has been shown to be the case in other countries.

Sad to say no one comes to mind. Those with something to gain will most likely be happy to go along with the ride. Those that are not on Australian sites are too often side lined , gas lighted and 'filtered out' of main stream forums and media.

A further comment on Europe though. Countries like Germany, are going through crisis not experienced post war. I suspect they are probably not alone in those parts.

Even Britain, termed 'Broken' by certain commentators, with a substantial energy, health and economic crisis , seemingly can not attract the migrants it once did to these shores> Outside of medical professionals of course. Is that through lack of interest of their part ? Or is it deliberate policy to seek migrants from a few preferred nations ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand