Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 43,631 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the expected average commute time to (and from) downtown during rush hour would be from the following areas?

- Cedar Park - Cypress Canyon Preserve / Ranch at Deer Creek area...and maybe Twin Creeks

- Avery Ranch

- Canyon Creek

- Grandview Hills

- Great Hills

- Barton Creek

- River Place

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM

298 posts, read 944,981 times
hi there!....we used to live in Twin Creeks and now live in San Antonio....that area (Twin Creeks/Deer Creek area) would not be a pretty commute! During rush hour it would take my husband 30 minutes just to get to 183/Duval area....downtown is probably another 30 minutes minimum to downtown.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
I used to drive from the very tip of North Austin, Metric/Palmer, to downtown. During rush hour it took around 30-45 minutes. With light traffic my commute was around 20 minutes. Every once in awhile it would take an hour, usually an accident.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I used to drive from the very tip of North Austin, Metric/Palmer, to downtown. During rush hour it took around 30-45 minutes. With light traffic my commute was around 20 minutes. Every once in awhile it would take an hour, usually an accident.
I guess it might in your rocket ship.
It takes me 15 minutes to go from Far West to 35th street in rush hour. there is NO WAY that it would take 30 minutes to go from Metric to Cesar Chavez in rush hour.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
I live near Pflugerville and work on the other side of downtown. I can I make it home during rush hour in less than 30 minutes some days. Other days it'll take an hour. Traffic and accidents change everything. I'm also assuming you are taking I-35. If you are near the toll road you may want to consider using those. You can save a lot of time but the tolls aren't cheap and just getting on the road can be rough.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Barton Creek is probably the shortest commute to downtown, followed by Great Hills and then perhaps Riverplace. I'd say Barton Creek and Great Hills are 30 mins or less during rush hour. Barton Creek is closer, but there is only 1 route in -- Great Hills you can take a few different routes.

Cedar Park (Cypress Canyon, Deer Creek area,Twin Creeks) would generally be 45-60 minutes during rush hour.

Don't know about the other neighborhoods listed. Times would obviously be MUCH different in non-peak times, when the highways aren't gridlocked.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I guess it might in your rocket ship.
It takes me 15 minutes to go from Far West to 35th street in rush hour. there is NO WAY that it would take 30 minutes to go from Metric to Cesar Chavez in rush hour.
If you understood my post than you would have noticied I said 30-45 minutes. On average it probably took me around 40 minutes, but I have gotten from downtown to the very tip of north Austin in approx 30 minutes frequently. Other posters mentioned they traveled even further in 30 minutes. Perhaps you are a bad driver?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Barton Creek is probably the shortest commute to downtown, followed by Great Hills and then perhaps Riverplace. I'd say Barton Creek and Great Hills are 30 mins or less during rush hour. Barton Creek is closer, but there is only 1 route in -- Great Hills you can take a few different routes.

Cedar Park (Cypress Canyon, Deer Creek area,Twin Creeks) would generally be 45-60 minutes during rush hour.

Don't know about the other neighborhoods listed. Times would obviously be MUCH different in non-peak times, when the highways aren't gridlocked.
I pretty much agree with this....& would put Riverplace at 30-35 min. Add 6-10 minutes (from Riverplace) for Grandview Hills & Canyon Creek.

The drive on 2222 is very pretty & less stressful than freeway driving (imo), but once or twice a year the road shuts down due to an accident. During NON-rush hour....RP, GH & CC (& Steiner) residents all can get to downtown in less than 30 min. (& it's a pretty drive).

Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
My husband used to commute on Mopac from Round Rock to Southwest Parkway. It would take him 15 minutes to get from our house to the 183/Mopac area. That is pretty much where the heavy traffic starts on Mopac. It would then take him another 30 minutes to get to the downtown area and then 10 minutes from downtown to Southwest Parkway. I realize you did not ask for commute times from Round Rock but I just wanted to give you an idea of where the heavy traffic starts and ends on Mopac. Basically it is stop and go from 183 to downtown.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,765 times
Avery Ranch will take you right about an hour to get in from 715 to 815am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin