Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 06:44 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times

Advertisements

Pizza Garden at the "Y" closed and they could make it. Years ago a place called Spaghetti Western on South First could make it. I recently visited NYC and Google quickly found Spunto's in the village that seemed to have a true thin-crust margherita pizza like I LOVE. I called and a told a nice young lady I was looking for a margherita pizza light on the cheese, heavy on tomato, heavy on fresh basil, super thin crisp crust. She said "Sure, no problem. We can do that!" Went there and they nailed it. Crust was crisp throughout, about 2-3 mm thick. You could hold a slice by one corner and it did not droop. Perfect balance of the few flavors. Unfortunately they said they experimented with shipping pizzas frozen and were not happy with the results.

I have looked at and tried too many places to count in Austin. I have been asking and the results are pathetic such as "Via 313 has good pizza." Maybe so if that is what you like, but "Thin crust?" Get real! To each their own, but I tried their pizza once and it had so heavy a crust, was so heavy with cheese and had so much oil on top that it grossed me out. Then there is Yaghi's "New York" pizza. Their margherita has a few cherry tomatoes and no tomato sauce and the rest is cheese. Full robust concentrated tomato flavor does NOT come from fresh tomatoes, it is brought out by cooking so you need tomato paste or sauce. I went to a Greek place and got no basil on the pizza, asked for some and got a thimbleful of dried basil--really! By now I have looked at probably a few hundred pictures of Austin pizza on the internet and it is very easy to tell they are not truly thin crust and they tend to be mostly cheese.

I am so desperate I am about ready to attempt to make my own despite I don't think making a top-notch pizza is a skill you can pick up overnight.

But if anybody understands what I am look for and has a suggestion I will surely take it under advisement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 07:06 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I'm a Philly transplant, so I feel your pain. If you're looking for a thin crust margherita pizza, Tony C's is pretty good.

For a decent, everyday pie, Saccone's works.

I don't think either are as good as or the same as what you can get in NY, but they'll do until your next trip north.

Now if we could only get a real deli and an Italian bakery.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:02 AM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
I am not from anyplace near Texas but I feel your pain. My favorite pizza is from a joint in Montreal and for 2 years I couldn't get there because of covid!

Old 12-08-2023, 08:09 AM

I looked at some pictures posted by Tony C's. I saw a margherita pizza, I guess it was, with no tomato sauce and slices of fresh tomato. Not that much basil but I could just bring my own because my wife grows basil where we can't give it all away. I didn't see tomato sauce in their list of ingredients. I will call them and see what they can do.

It is frustrating because I didn't spend five minutes Googling at random in NYC and it was like "Of course, no problem!" when I called. Went to the restaurant and, indeed, no problem.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:21 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I haven't ever tried this place but you may want to give this a try if you haven't already:

https://lavoltapizza.com/
900 W 10th St, Austin, TX 78703

Not sure how it stacks up however.. ..I have picked up from there many times though and it was on my 'to try' radar. I don't know if you'll find anything that will truly match iconic NY or Chicago style pizza though. Austin is better at street taco's IMHO.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven't ever tried this place but you may want to give this a try if you haven't already:

https://lavoltapizza.com/
900 W 10th St, Austin, TX 78703

Not sure how it stacks up however.. ..I have picked up from there many times though and it was on my 'to try' radar. I don't know if you'll find anything that will truly match iconic NY or Chicago style pizza though. Austin is better at street taco's IMHO.

I am looking for thin crust. Also it seems extraordinarily expensive. Might be OK but not if it isn't really what I am looking for.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I don't like a doughy pizza. The extra dough gives me severe heartburn. I'm sure it's from the Crisco/lard they put in the flour to make the dough. High fat food tears my stomach up. I generally like a medium crust pizza that has some crunch to it. The original crust at Gatti's is perfect thickness of crust for me. In my opinion, Gatti's or Mr Gatti's, has always been among the best pizza in Austin for 40 years or more.. I like to get Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, jalapeños. Haven't found a pizza I like any better. Consistently good. For years, Austin Pizza Garden and Mr Gatti's my go-to places for pizza in Austin. I hated to see APG go. It's the only place I ever knew of that chorizo is a topping choice.. I remember a pizza place back in the 80's and 90's on East 6th Street about 2 or 3 blocks west of Red River (Neches, Nueces San Jacinto?) they had the best pizza. I don't remember the name but I liked it better than Mr Gattis. They had a great big old fashion wood fire oven, they cooked the pizza in, like you might find in Italy. They didn't have a place to sit down. You had stand up to eat it. Sometimes I'd get a whole large pizza to take home. It might still be there.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Wow, y'all are really into some pizza.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:42 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, y'all are really into some pizza.
We all love to eat down here in Austin.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Pizza Garden at the "Y" closed and they could make it. Years ago a place called Spaghetti Western on South First could make it. I recently visited NYC and Google quickly found Spunto's in the village that seemed to have a true thin-crust margherita pizza like I LOVE. I called and a told a nice young lady I was looking for a margherita pizza light on the cheese, heavy on tomato, heavy on fresh basil, super thin crisp crust. She said "Sure, no problem. We can do that!" Went there and they nailed it. Crust was crisp throughout, about 2-3 mm thick. You could hold a slice by one corner and it did not droop. Perfect balance of the few flavors. Unfortunately they said they experimented with shipping pizzas frozen and were not happy with the results.

I have looked at and tried too many places to count in Austin. I have been asking and the results are pathetic such as "Via 313 has good pizza." Maybe so if that is what you like, but "Thin crust?" Get real! To each their own, but I tried their pizza once and it had so heavy a crust, was so heavy with cheese and had so much oil on top that it grossed me out. Then there is Yaghi's "New York" pizza. Their margherita has a few cherry tomatoes and no tomato sauce and the rest is cheese. Full robust concentrated tomato flavor does NOT come from fresh tomatoes, it is brought out by cooking so you need tomato paste or sauce. I went to a Greek place and got no basil on the pizza, asked for some and got a thimbleful of dried basil--really! By now I have looked at probably a few hundred pictures of Austin pizza on the internet and it is very easy to tell they are not truly thin crust and they tend to be mostly cheese.

I am so desperate I am about ready to attempt to make my own despite I don't think making a top-notch pizza is a skill you can pick up overnight.

But if anybody understands what I am look for and has a suggestion I will surely take it under advisement!
papa johns thin crust extra crispy. I personally get it square cut (st louis style).

I didnt think new york pizza was crispy so it didnt droop. New york pizza is crispy, but chewy, like homeslice.

You can also buy homeslice pizza and heat it in a pan on the stove until the crust is crispy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: