Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 12:13 PM

126 posts, read 301,856 times

Advertisements

We have a group of very talented young musicians who want to play Christmas music for community in holiday season. Any idea or recommendation would be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 12:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,505,056 times
Try contacting nursing homes to see if you can set up an appointment for them to come in and play. I used to bring groups of kids to do this every year and it was appreciated.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:06 PM

126 posts, read 301,856 times
Thanks above for the info. Yes, we go nursing home regularly. Just wonder whether any other opportunities to play for public

Old 10-21-2022, 01:08 PM

110 posts, read 119,081 times
I would think maybe a local coffee shop. There are a few in Downtown Georgetown, 30 mins north of Austin. I'm sure they would welcome some local talent

Old 10-21-2022, 01:35 PM

We also sometimes went to the local mall. Kind of depends on the size of your group, what mix of instruments, skill level and age of kids.

The nursing home is nice because they're going to have plenty of chairs available for you and a nice big room where you can perform so all you need to bring in is stands/instruments. A coffee shop could be good if they have a stage where they do open mic nights. I could see a small crowded place getting tricky because they may not want you taking limited seating away from paying customers. The hard thing about playing at the mall was always that they would usually agree to let us play and assign us some corner, but we had to bring everything, and that included chairs for any instruments that couldn't play standing. If you're talking three flutes, no big deal. If you have cellos and tubas and bassoons... that's getting to be a lot of equipment to schlep.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 8,433,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysinger View Post
Thanks above for the info. Yes, we go nursing home regularly. Just wonder whether any other opportunities to play for public

Check out group homes for handicapped/disabled. One of the most gratifying concert I participated in was for a group of mentally disabled kids. Afterwards we turned over our instruments to them and let them give us a concert. I've never seen so many huge smiles in one place before that!

Another place are military installations. Unless they have gotten whacked out they will find some room for them at the chow hall and you can give a dinner show to some very deserving people.

Another place are large, large hospitals. Some have huge entry areas away from critical room areas you can play and patients can come down for that. Or they too can set you up in their cafeteria area if it's large enough. Again children's hospitals are great places for this.

Another place are homeless shelters. Just because people are homeless doesn't mean they would not want to listen to a good concert. You would be surprised!

Another place is just right out in a large open area just before/in the middle of rush hour, say an open square of some type. Good way to get the general population into the swing of the season and relieve some normal daily stress.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Check out group homes for handicapped/disabled. One of the most gratifying concert I participated in was for a group of mentally disabled kids. Afterwards we turned over our instruments to them and let them give us a concert. I've never seen so many huge smiles in one place before that!

Another place are military installations. Unless they have gotten whacked out they will find some room for them at the chow hall and you can give a dinner show to some very deserving people.

Another place are large, large hospitals. Some have huge entry areas away from critical room areas you can play and patients can come down for that. Or they too can set you up in their cafeteria area if it's large enough. Again children's hospitals are great places for this.

Another place are homeless shelters. Just because people are homeless doesn't mean they would not want to listen to a good concert. You would be surprised!

Another place is just right out in a large open area just before/in the middle of rush hour, say an open square of some type. Good way to get the general population into the swing of the season and relieve some normal daily stress.
Great suggestions!

Old 10-22-2022, 07:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
I would reach out to the Galleria in Bee Cave and the Domain. I know they have had school groups and choirs perform there before. Youmay also want to reach out to Mozarts, since they do their big light show and maybe the folks who organize the Trail of Lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: