Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 38,850 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'll be going to UT Austin in August and was wondering about where to live that is within walking distance or has buses running to campus. What I really need to know is which areas are safe and then I can look further for apartments there. I'm hoping to find something around $400-$500/month, but we'll see. If you know anywhere good your advice will help a lot. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
There have been numerous requests like this in the last week or so, they should not be hard to find.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...in-summer.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...chmond-va.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...stin-then.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...king-info.html

Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,240 times
Directly north of campus is better if you are an engineering or science major. It's closest to your classes, cheaper than West Campus and quieter. If you are into parties, etc. and the "regular" college experience go to West Campus.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM

126 posts, read 788,734 times
Default For your budget

Somewhere near Riverside drive will be better esp if you are not looking to share an apartment. There are several shuttles (check out Capmetro.org and the UT shuttle section for maps) that connect that area to UT and they are free.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
If this is your first year and you're an undergrad right out of HS, maybe look at some of the less expensive private dorms (assuming you're too late for/don't want the on campus dorms). Moving straight to an apartment, you'll be a little out of the loop IMO. I wouldn't recommend Riverside or Far West or any of the shuttle locations initially; you'll want to be within walking distance, so you can get to campus anytime 24x7 on a whim if you need to. The earlier comparison of North Campus to West Campus is pretty much spot on. Both areas are safe, with the exception of maybe a little more theft/fights in WC because of all the partying that goes on there. But there is no bad neighborhood around it, all around are high-dollar central Austin neighborhoods.

I'm assuming you're $400-500 budget is for a roommate situation, BTW. Otherwise it is pretty much impossible to be within walking distance.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM

76 posts, read 423,998 times
I was at Crown and Anchor the other night (near 26th & San Jacinto) and noticed signs for Efficiencies for $545 which is probably a pretty standard going rate for a closet within walking distance.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 38,850 times
Thanks all for the help. I will look for places to live in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: