Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,733 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I thought I would start another thread about Del Valle because I am thinking of moving there within one or two months. The last thread about Del Valle was started in 2012, so I was looking for some fresh info.
I am thinking about Del Valle because I have a limited budget, and I will be working very close by on the East Side of Austin.

Just a few questions:

How is the traffic in and around Del Valle? I will be traveling on US-183 for most of my commute and then I-35 for just a little bit (from the 183 intersect to Tech Ridge Blvd exit)
Any thoughts on the school system? I know it is not rated the best, but I also believe parental involvement is more important than the school system. But, I would like to hear your general thoughts.
Is Spanish spoken quite a bit there? I actually wouldn't mind if it was. I lived in El Paso for three years and loved it. I was able to pick up a lot of Spanish. Unfortunately, I have lost almost all that I learned after I moved back to the Northeast.
Any other general comments about Del Valle I welcome as well.

And one more question about Austin in general. I've heard that Austin is becoming more fast-paced and the people are becoming more rude as more migrate in. But, how is it compared to East Coast cities like Baltimore and Philly? I live in between Baltimore and Philly right now, and I'm not exactly a big fan of the people and culture here. One reason why I'm moving down to TX is be around more friendly, down-to-earth people with a slightly slower pace of life. But again, I have heard that Austin is changing for the worse. Is it anything like Baltimore or Philly in terms of rude people, egos and fast pace of life?

Thanks,

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
This will probably be moved to the Austin Board. Comments in your quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Greetings, I thought I would start another thread about Del Valle because I am thinking of moving there within one or two months. The last thread about Del Valle was started in 2012, so I was looking for some fresh info. I am thinking about Del Valle because I have a limited budget, and I will be working very close by on the East Side of Austin.

Just a few questions:

How is the traffic in and around Del Valle?
Not as bad as other parts of town, (such as Mopac, 183 & I35) but it's getting more traffic and you'll always have the nearby airport traffic.

I will be traveling on US-183 for most of my commute and then I-35 for just a little bit (from the 183 intersect to Tech Ridge Blvd exit). Whoever designed 183 as it crosses the river should be drawn and quartered. 3 lanes down to 1 lane....with a couple of jogs. That stretch should have been improved 25 years ago. I personally would hate that commute. (up to Tech Ridge)

Any thoughts on the school system? It's awful. I know it is not rated the best, but I also believe parental involvement is more important than the school system. The parents aren't involved. It's a traditional low income area, the parents are either too hard working...or don't care. Even as it kind of gentrifies (a little) with the Airport nearby and a high tech campus being built off Riverside....the schools will still lag behind because the first wave of gentry will be singles (not families). But, I would like to hear your general thoughts. Is Spanish spoken quite a bit there? Based on nearby businesses, I would suspect there's a healthy % of Spanish speakers. I actually wouldn't mind if it was. I lived in El Paso for three years and loved it. I lived in San Antonio and also enjoyed the culture (& the food!!). I was able to pick up a lot of Spanish. Unfortunately, I have lost almost all that I learned after I moved back to the Northeast.
Any other general comments about Del Valle I welcome as well.

And one more question about Austin in general. I've heard that Austin is becoming more fast-paced and the people are becoming more rude as more migrate in. This is getting more true every year. To some, it's jumped the shark....to recent arrivals, it's less fast paced and not rude. But, how is it compared to East Coast cities like Baltimore and Philly? I live in between Baltimore and Philly right now, and I'm not exactly a big fan of the people and culture here.

One reason why I'm moving down to TX is be around more friendly, down-to-earth people with a slightly slower pace of life. For the most part Austin is friendly...but I wouldn't describe it as "down to earth with a slower pace". You should try a mid sized Texas city (Waco/Abilene/Tyler etc.) for that type of city. But again, I have heard that Austin is changing for the worse. Is it anything like Baltimore or Philly in terms of rude people, egos and fast pace of life? Austin is a LOT different than Philly and Baltimore, but I'll let those who have lived there comment. Thanks, Ben
good luck.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:22 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I live in between Baltimore and Philly right now, and I'm not exactly a big fan of the people and culture here. One reason why I'm moving down to TX is be around more friendly, down-to-earth people with a slightly slower pace of life. But again, I have heard that Austin is changing for the worse. Is it anything like Baltimore or Philly in terms of rude people, egos and fast pace of life?
Well I used to live between Baltimore and Philly and now kind of missing people and culture there. I believe in Del Valle/Austin there are more real Americans/more American culture compared to the rest of Texas (according to the demographic data), but here in Houston not so much. Here is more Mexico rather than US in terms of culture and people. Not bad, but different. And those who are real Americans, they are too much into church here.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well I used to live between Baltimore and Philly and now kind of missing people and culture there. I believe in Del Valle/Austin there are more real Americans/more American culture compared to the rest of Texas (according to the demographic data), but here in Houston not so much. Here is more Mexico rather than US in terms of culture and people. Not bad, but different. And those who are real Americans, they are too much into church here.
More "real Americans/American culture" ??? I'm wondering what you mean by that, it makes no sense to me.

Del Valle is a tiny sliver of Austin, a small region just North of the airport, that is so small it does not even have its own page in the City-Data files, even under the "Very small towns and villages (< 1,000 residents) category. http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

If you go to the Austin page and scroll down to Zip Code Maps you can select from a couple of overlapping zipcodes for that area and view the demographic are for them. http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Or scroll down further the map which has a header of " Median Household Income " and select it. There you can change the header to view different racial populations. But "American Indian" is the only one to my mind that comes close to your catagory of "real Americans/American culture", and it will tell you almost nothing about what it is like to live in that area of town today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin