Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,274 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are considering relocating from PDX to Austin (hate the constant gloom and rain among other things) Prior we had been considering Phoenix area but its too ugly and dry there. So couple questions.

1. How humid does it feel in Austin at it's "worst"? Is it carry-spare-clothes humid? A couple friends who said they visited made a big deal. When I'm in Hawaii I love the humidity, but not sure how it compares.

2. What is there to do outside Austin area? We had considered Az cuz we could shoot up to the Sedona or visit the Grand Canyon area. I like to flyfish and We enjoy the outdoors so where can I visit some stunning nature within a 3hr drive. I'm not familiar with the terrain.

3. I'm assuming it's a non issue from what I gather but have to ask. My wife is Hispanic (one reason we decided to skip on AZ) and wonder if we could face any of the same BS going on in AZ.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,585,258 times
It is very hot in Austin and often very humid too. It just depends what you can tolerate. Some people do just fine and others are miserable. You need to remember that it is oppressively hot from May-September, pretty hot at times in April and October (it was in the 90's throughout much of April), and if you're the sort of person who can't take the heat, this is the wrong city for you. Visit first, preferably during the hot summer months. There are other cities in the country where you'll get more variation, where it gets into the high 90's and 100's, but only for a week or two each year. In Austin, you can expect those temps every day for about 4 months out of every year. You have to decide what you're looking for. On the flip side, we have great mild winters. It's always a trade off.

One key question is whether you and your wife could find employment in the Austin area. Austin is great, but not much fun if you can't find a job.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,274 times
Default Heat

Heat isn't a problem. I used to live in the desert of North Washington and it could reach 115 in the summers and I worked construction at the time.

I'm looking for an answer to my other questions as those are more important than humidity to me.

And I'm a CEO of a tech company so employment isn't an issue.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,698,800 times
For TX, Austin is well located for nature enthusiasts. There are great trails for Mt. Biking, hiking, etc. close and probably the best thing is that you're close to a lot of cool water. We discovered that the best way to deal with the heat is to be near or in water. Plenty of rivers to float nearby and other swimming holes.

Austin is pretty far from truly impressive natural wonders though. Big Bend National Park is probably the closest, and it's 8-10 hours. You're spoiled in PDX with so much great outdoor rec. so close.

I think your wife will feel welcome. I think TX is a surprisingly good place for Hispanics. Of course there are ignorant folks, but generally things are good.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 PM
hlk

24 posts, read 42,999 times
Hawaii is more humid, but Austin gets hotter. It rains less, and we're currently experiencing a drought. Temperatures in the upper 90s to low 100s can last for weeks at a time during summer, without it really cooling off at night. Some days are humid and it's difficult to spend time outside, and some are more dry and breezy and pretty comfortable by my standards. The humidity varies enough here that I don't feel it's that oppressive, but YMMV. It's humid compared to places like California and Arizona, but much more tolerable than Florida and the Deep South, in my experience.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,585,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av119 View Post
2. What is there to do outside Austin area? We had considered Az cuz we could shoot up to the Sedona or visit the Grand Canyon area. I like to flyfish and We enjoy the outdoors so where can I visit some stunning nature within a 3hr drive. I'm not familiar with the terrain.

3. I'm assuming it's a non issue from what I gather but have to ask. My wife is Hispanic (one reason we decided to skip on AZ) and wonder if we could face any of the same BS going on in AZ.
To answer the other two, I wouldn't really say that Austin has "stunning nature" anywhere nearby, not in the same way you find on the west coast. Parts of central Texas are hilly--think gentle rolling hills, though, not big ones. Other parts are pretty flat. We have lakes that are pretty. You really need to visit. One person's nice scenery is another's ugly. Austin is basically the opposite of Portland in terms of geography and climate...

You'd have to be more specific in your concerns for the latter question. Austin has a huge Hispanic population. White/Hispanic couples are a non-issue. As for what the future will hold in terms of politics and immigration reform, I think it's hard to call on that one. Both TX and AZ are border states that face many of the same challenges.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 PM

970 posts, read 1,874,623 times
--Austin certainly is not humid like Houston or Hawaii. However, there are times when we have humidity.

--You are not going to find the dramatic differences in landscape that Arizona or Hawaii has here. I'ts not going to be Western Oregon. Yet, there are plenty of interesting and scenic places to go close by. I love the Hill Country. Yes, I have heard there is plenty of good fly-fishing around.....just south of here. Don't know too much because I don't fly-fish.

--Having a wife (or any relative or acquaintance) who is Hispanic is such a non-issue, it's not worth mentioning or worrying about.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 PM

23 posts, read 57,729 times
I am a new implant from DC-Baltimore area and we still haven't used our AC more than 15 mins since coming here (and it's June!) - fans work fine for us with high ceilings. Love the weather here - not too hot yet.

My husband is Latino and I am White and we have no issues. My husband hasn't had any issues. He is of PR-Dominican descent.

I think it is very subjective to ask how hot a place is - I think a far statement is if you like hot, come check out Austin, if you hate hot - stay away. Humidity appears to be much less than East Coast from my opinion.

I find TX beautiful by the way... I too love Hill Country, but I also love seeing all the Longhorns and farm animals as we drive around. Austin is much greener than I would have expected and charm in a variety of ways is defintely present here.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,270,040 times
My comments in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av119 View Post
My wife and i are considering relocating from PDX to Austin (hate the constant gloom and rain among other things) Prior we had been considering Phoenix area but its too ugly and dry there. So couple questions.

1. How humid does it feel in Austin at it's "worst"? Is it carry-spare-clothes humid? A couple friends who said they visited made a big deal. When I'm in Hawaii I love the humidity, but not sure how it compares.

With the exception of some more humid conditions early in the morning, Austin has a similar summer climate to Tucson. Very little rain, very hot in the afternoon (95-100), and extremely dry most afternoons and evenings. By dry, I mean very low humidity to the point where the heat index is normally below the actual temperature in the late afternoon.

With the exception of the mountains in far west Texas, the state has virtually nothing to offer as far as natural beauty. When in central Texas you'll hear a lot about the "hillbilly country". This is an area of hills west of Austin with lots of short, bushlike trees and an overall BROWN and dry look. I guess it depends where you come from. I guess it's interesting if you are coming from Houston, or Florida.

Nah, i doubt it. Texas is pretty much a "free for all" state. Considering hispanics now make up close to 30% of the population, I doubt you'll have any problems.

thanks.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Austin doesn't have beauty like Hawaii, central Switzerland, or Sydney Australia. But we have more than rolling hills - we have steep cliffs, big trees, especially sturdy crazy live oaks, beautiful lakes with great water quality, and generally rugged terrain. It is certainly not fake manmade stuff like Palm Springs or Las Vegas.

Fly fishing is not as prevalent as fishing for bass with spinning tackle, but the Guadalupe river is stocked with rainbows. Lake Travis is an excellent fishing lake with at least four varieties of micropterus and many others. Lake Buchanan is noted for sizable striped bass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin