Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,178,158 times

Advertisements

There have been a rash of wanting to rent threads in our local trading post Facebook page, and it got me to thinking.

We are getting ready for our third year in our current community that doesn't offer teacher housing. When we moved here, we were put in contact with a landlord that had a small house that was in great shape. It was efficient and convenient for our jobs. It was small. It was downtown. But we have outgrown it. The housing that was available has been very disappointing. Either the house is in terrible shape or price is just unaffordable.

I'm ok with small because of heating costs, but the wife wants room. Thankfully we had some friends leaving and we were able to take over the house they are currently living in.

Before you move to rural/bush Alaska, it would be good to understand the rental market. The good places never make it to the advertising market. Start looking for places to rent now. Reach out to co-workers living in the community. Be prepared for substandard quality compared to what you are used to. It ain't easy living in rural/bush, but with patience and due diligence you can find a decent spot, if you are in a hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,822,720 times
Thank you for making this post. It should be a sticky.

There are people who get jobs here and end up having to turn them down because they don't have a place to stay.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
The same could be said for other areas like the SF Bay Area... people come here with no idea just how hard it is to secure housing and this applies to availability and cost.

My Alaska friends either built of bought homes... found renting to be the least desirable for many reasons.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 PM

There are some similarities, but there are serious differences. If you go to the Bay Area on spec. and discover that it's not going to work out, it's a short enough drive to somewhere that'll be a better fit. It really is a whole different thing in rural/bush Alaska.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The same could be said for other areas like the SF Bay Area... people come here with no idea just how hard it is to secure housing and this applies to availability and cost.

My Alaska friends either built of bought homes... found renting to be the least desirable for many reasons.
and I bet they live on the road. In the bush, it is often times near impossible to buy.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Most live in Juneau with several working in government.

One lives in the middle of no where and he gets around being a bush pilot.

Another did the whole homestead thing, off grid, really in the middle of no where... sad ending... he took his life after his girlfriend went to civilization and decided the bush life was not for her... really bright guy, military survival trained... great at improvising, climbing... for fun he use to climb to the tops of redwoods when he lived off grid in the Santa Cruz Mountains... really sad way to go but couldn't get over the breakup.

Not a renter in the group... one does have rentals in Juneau

Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM

OK, but the subject of this post wasn't Juneau. I would say that the rental situation in Juneau is closer that of SF than rural or bush Alaska, though.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM

I would think in the Bush it would be foolish to simply expect Housing to be available.

Several of my friends are Traveling Nurses and a couple have accepted assignments in Alaska and all came with housing... even if it was a remote village clinic.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most live in Juneau with several working in government.

One lives in the middle of no where and he gets around being a bush pilot.

Another did the whole homestead thing, off grid, really in the middle of no where... sad ending... he took his life after his girlfriend went to civilization and decided the bush life was not for her... really bright guy, military survival trained... great at improvising, climbing... for fun he use to climb to the tops of redwoods when he lived off grid in the Santa Cruz Mountains... really sad way to go but couldn't get over the breakup.

Not a renter in the group... one does have rentals in Juneau
I'd love to build. Or buy. I'm just not willing to pay the insanely high costs. Not yet anyways. Also, I couldn't buy land in our previous location.

Makes things challenging when you live in a native community.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Travel packages for medical professionals come with housing in many parts of Alaska -- and it's more likely to be included if the job's in a remote village.

Not so for teachers, as the OP stated. He's offering some good advice -- advice that he's learned from first-hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska