Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 01:14 PM

14,082 posts, read 8,233,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That stretches the bounds of common sense. "Punishing" someone by making things worse for yourself and the people and things you care about? "I'll show you, buddy -- just watch me punch myself in the face repeatedly."

My guess is many Arab-Americans in swing states like MI, WI and AZ have family and/or friends living in the Middle East. The “Abandon Biden” bloc see this protest as punishment for his support of Israel and to prove the strength of their vote.

As far as Trump being reelected... see below.

Quote:
Of course, working to defeat Biden also means aiding the return of Donald Trump, but Awad and Walid seem to have made their peace with that.

Awad said he doesn’t like Trump and doesn’t welcome a second Trump term, but he’s prepared to accept that outcome for the sake of punishing Biden. “I’m going to live under Trump, because I survived under Trump, because he’s my enemy,” he says. “I cannot live under someone who pretends to be my friend.”

He believes that proving a point about the power of the Muslim vote is worth it. “Is it going to be painful? Four more years under Trump?” he asks. “I say yes, and we are bracing for it,” adding, “At least what I have accomplished is, I told every politician, ‘Don’t take us out of the equation, because you will miss.’”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/o...iden-gaza.html

Old 04-24-2024, 01:27 PM

14,082 posts, read 8,233,322 times
Humm...

Quote:
“We have to make Biden lose”: Arab-Americans are switching to Trump

Anger over Gaza in the swing state of Michigan might cost the president the election

...Biden easily won the primary, with 625,000 votes, but the scale of the protest could cause problems for his campaign. In 2020 Biden won the state by just 150,000 votes; there are more than 200,000 Muslim-American voters in Michigan. Biden currently trails Trump in the state by around two to four points.

...Was the primary vote just a message? Or was Biden in real danger in Michigan? When I’d mentioned to a political operative in the Detroit area that I was interested in meeting some Arab-American Democrats who were wrestling with the question of whether they could vote for the president in November, she’d laughed at me. “You don’t know too many people from this community, do you?” she said. “I’m not sure I know anyone who hasn’t decided they can’t vote for him. It’s too late.”

“Look, I hate Trump,” he continued. “With every fibre of my being. I know what he is. But I’ve talked to so many people who voted for [Biden] whose attitude is now, ‘we have to make [him] lose, at any cost. And rather than voting for a third party, I’m going to double my vote and vote for Trump.’ It shocked me at first. But you want to do everything you can to make him pay the price.
https://www.economist.com/1843/2024/...ching-to-trump
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies